2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

The bank was on an official list of Iranian gov fronts, we aren't talking about uncovering the Watergate Scandal here.

The Minsky Moment

75 is a bargain these days, for class A  :(
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

There's nothing particularly horrible about the non-eviction of Melli, but it's amusing in light of his current posturing.  Like the China component of the supply chain for his various branded businesses.   Nothing odd there except his willingness to condemn others for behavior he engages in.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Generally my view re the Trump businesses - his bankruptcies, aggressive tax positions, dealings with Russians, Chinese labor, etc. etc. - is that it's a non-issue, doesn't really have anything to do with his problems as a candidate, which are legion and far more problematic.  OTOH I don't think Trump's business activities qualify him in any way for the presidency and to the extent he and his supporters nonetheless suggest that they do, it's more than fair game to poke holes and take shots.

Last businessman we elected President was Hoover, and that didn't work out all that well.  And Trump is not a fraction of the man - business and otherwise - that Hoover was.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 03, 2016, 04:02:54 PM
There's nothing particularly horrible about the non-eviction of Melli, but it's amusing in light of his current posturing.  Like the China component of the supply chain for his various branded businesses.   Nothing odd there except his willingness to condemn others for behavior he engages in.

Indeed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 03, 2016, 04:08:25 PM
And Trump is not a fraction of the man - business and otherwise - that Hoover was.

Right? Someone didn't even go to Stanford.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 03, 2016, 03:35:33 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on October 03, 2016, 03:15:35 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 03, 2016, 03:00:13 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 03, 2016, 02:44:49 PM
You know what's disgusting?  Mayonnaise :yuk:

Agree. Also vinegar.

WTF is wrong with you people?

Don't care much for sour cream either.

I love mayonnaise and vinegar, but probably the most unhealthy habit I have is sour cream. I love the stuff!

We are not aligned on this, Eddie Teach.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Savonarola

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 03, 2016, 04:08:25 PM
Generally my view re the Trump businesses - his bankruptcies, aggressive tax positions, dealings with Russians, Chinese labor, etc. etc. - is that it's a non-issue, doesn't really have anything to do with his problems as a candidate, which are legion and far more problematic.  OTOH I don't think Trump's business activities qualify him in any way for the presidency and to the extent he and his supporters nonetheless suggest that they do, it's more than fair game to poke holes and take shots.

Last businessman we elected President was Hoover, and that didn't work out all that well.  And Trump is not a fraction of the man - business and otherwise - that Hoover was.

Both Bushes were businessmen.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on October 03, 2016, 04:40:04 PM

I think he meant at the time they were running for President. Bush I was VP and Bush II was my beloved governor of blessed memory.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on October 03, 2016, 04:43:44 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on October 03, 2016, 04:40:04 PM

I think he meant at the time they were running for President. Bush I was VP and Bush II was my beloved governor of blessed memory.

Hoover was Secretary of Commerce when he was running (he resigned a few months before the election.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Minsky Moment

Hoover was a Commerce Secretary, and a pretty good one, though prone to self-promotion.  But his claim to fame was as a businessman and for participation as a businessman with pubic-spirited instincts in wartime and postwar relief.  He posed as someone who would bring business like methods to the WH.

Bush Pere had success business, but that was always prelude and prepatory to politics, which was the real family business and his true avocation.  He didn't run for President on his oil drilling expertise but on his impressive public resume.

W is sort of in the middle.  To the extent he tried to run the WH like a CEO it turned out very badly.  That model just doesn't work.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

I like how Trump's reply to tax scandal is that he brilliantly used tax laws to benefit of him and his companies. Not to worry now though, he's now on America's side.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 03, 2016, 05:04:28 PM
Bush Pere had success business, but that was always prelude and prepatory to politics, which was the real family business and his true avocation.  He didn't run for President on his oil drilling expertise but on his impressive public resume.

He certainly had no problem selling out.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

New polls

Economist C43 T40 J5 S3
CNN  C47 T42 J7 S2
CBS C45 T41 J8 S3
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point