2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Seriously, this is really retarded. So a landlord is expected to run background checks on any institution he rents premises to?

Stories like this (and people who post them) confound me. Are they really so stupid or so dishonest?

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on October 03, 2016, 01:49:24 PM
Seriously, this is really retarded. So a landlord is expected to run background checks on any institution he rents premises to?

Stories like this (and people who post them) confound me. Are they really so stupid or so dishonest?

Your disgust would be more credible if you didn't express it for things that actually DO matter as well.

But in this case, I have to agree. This is a complete non-issue.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

I don't see why not. Every landlord I've had has run a background check on me. Why do businesses get a slide on that?

edit: To be fair though, I don't really care about this story - seems like a waste of time in the pile of Trump's awfulness.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

dps

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2016, 03:09:57 PM

I don't see why not. Every landlord I've had has run a background check on me. Why do businesses get a slide on that?

Yeah, but the landlord is interested in whether or not your likely to skip out on the rent or cause unusual damage to their property.  They aren't really worried about you maybe being a terrorist.

garbon

Quote from: dps on October 03, 2016, 03:19:11 PM

Yeah, but the landlord is interested in whether or not your likely to skip out on the rent or cause unusual damage to their property.  They aren't really worried about you maybe being a terrorist.

So a background check wouldn't have revealed it was an Iranian bank?

HVC

Trump has and continues to do plenty of questionable immoral things, this isn't really one of them. Even if a background check was done I doubt it would have come across his desk or something. I don't see him being that involved in these matters. 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

dps

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2016, 03:20:22 PM

I would assume that it would have.  My point was merely that the background checks that your landlords have done have been for their private benefit, not something that was a legal requirement.  Though it's possible that there are legal requirements to do background checks in some jurisdictions.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on October 03, 2016, 03:24:44 PM
Trump has and continues to do plenty of questionable immoral things, this isn't really one of them. Even if a background check was done I doubt it would have come across his desk or something. I don't see him being that involved in these matters. 

Ah so his concerns don't filter down in his organizations, he just keeps them close to his chest?

garbon

Quote from: dps on October 03, 2016, 03:25:33 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2016, 03:20:22 PM

I would assume that it would have.  My point was merely that the background checks that your landlords have done have been for their private benefit, not something that was a legal requirement.  Though it's possible that there are legal requirements to do background checks in some jurisdictions.

Yes and? Who said it was a legal requirement?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Considering the prices for commercial rent in many of the submarkets of Manhattan--$75/sq ft in Midtown, for instance--I would expect they would at least run a Dunn & Bradstreet on a commercial applicant. 
So yeah, a landlord is expected to run a background check.