Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on August 26, 2016, 09:03:42 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 26, 2016, 08:11:02 AM
You two don't count. Sadly Tim has the vote.  :yucky:

I'm guessing Tim is voting as a Rhode Island voter.  Rhode Island will vote Hillary anyway, and it's not like that state is going to make much of a difference one way or the other.  Our Ohio votes, on the other hand...

That's no reason not to put Tim on a proscription list, though.

Legbiter

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 26, 2016, 08:56:01 AM
The Donald has disappointed me.  :(

At the start of this drama he was perhaps the greatest troll to ever live. He punked the entire Republican party at a stride. Now, with his extremely sad and stagnant poll numbers, he seems more like a sad little joke. Where's the exuberant and reckless bashing of basically everyone but himself? It was crap like that that made him endearing. He seems like a shell of himself now. That racist Breitbart guy was supposed to launch him into a new wave of Trumpism. I see no evidence it's going to happen. Or maybe I've just become numb to it all.

Trump seems sad and low energy compared to his old self.  :(

It's just that it's day 9 of Trump not being very interesting compared to his old self and it's getting us down a little.

Browsed CNN yesterday and they look ready to start cannibalizing each other due to his pivot. 
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

CountDeMoney

Don't lose hope, fellas.  The Donald will get back in form soon enough.  He can't not.

jimmy olsen

Delicious  :menace:

https://thinkprogress.org/the-most-important-reactions-to-hillary-clintons-speech-on-trump-s-racism-6cd03ef8e6d#.rt96avbgo

The Most Important Reaction To Hillary Clinton's Speech On Trump's Racism

The sound of silence.

Today, Hillary Clinton delivered a blistering and unprecedented speech, labeling her opponent, Donald Trump, a lifelong racist.

She did not mince words, arguing that his racial bias rendered him unfit to serve.

A man with a long history of racial discrimination, who traffics in dark conspiracy theories drawn from the pages of supermarket tabloids and the far reaches of the internet, should never run our government or command our military.
If he doesn't respect all Americans, how can he serve all Americans?

Clinton cited a lot of examples to bolster her point, tracing Trump's history of racism from the suit the Justice Department brought against him years ago for discriminating against blacks and Latinos seeking to rent apartments, to his embrace of the birther conspiracy to his comments during the campaign about Muslims, Mexicans and others.

Still, Trump is the leader of the Republican Party. Branding him a racist is a fundamental threat to the viability of the party now and in the future.

You would expect the leaders and elected officials of the party to rally to his side, blast Clinton's speech as a smear and demand an apology.

Instead, there has been silence.

Paul Ryan, the Republican Speaker of The House, has two Twitter accounts. Collectively the accounts have posted 31 times on Thursday. Five hours later, he's posted nothing about the speech.

Mitch McConnell, the Senate Majority Leader, has three Twitter accounts. Five hours later, he's posted nothing about the speech.

Reince Priebus, the chairman of the Republican Party, has a very active Twitter account. Five hours later, he's posted nothing about the speech.

The official twitter account of the Republican Party, the organization supposedly devoted to electing Donald Trump the next President of The United States, has also been silent about the speech.

There is also nothing about the speech on the GOP.com website or blog.

Trump, on the other hand, watched the speech and was quick to respond.

QuoteHillary Clinton is using race-baiting to try to get African-American voters- but they know she is all talk and NO ACTION!

Hillary Clinton's short speech is pandering to the worst instincts in our society. She should be ashamed of herself!

Trump's campaign press office has also been busy dutifully attacking Hillary's speech, which a spokesman called a "desperation play."

But the campaign seems to have trouble finding prominent Republicans to defend Trump. Right now his site features statements criticizing Hillary's speech from luminaries such as Patricia Bober, Oz Sultan and Alfred Liz.

Some prominent Republicans might not be criticizing Hillary's speech because they agree with it. Paul Ryan, for example, called Trump's attack on Hispanic federal judge Gonzalo Curiel the "textbook definition of racism."

Nebraska Senator Ben Sasse agreed.

Sasse opposes Trump's candidacy while Ryan has endorsed him.

QuotePublic Service Announcement:
Saying someone can't do a specific job because of his or her race is the literal definition of "racism."

But today, the most striking thing is not what Republicans are saying. It's how many of them are staying silent.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Save it for your Skittles target practice, creepy ass cracker.

lustindarkness

I think the Trump self taint is stronger than the Timmy taint. The problem is, just how strong is the Hillary self taint?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on August 25, 2016, 07:59:32 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 25, 2016, 07:44:37 PM
Quote from: Martinus on August 25, 2016, 05:18:19 PM
Hillary getting trolled by Milo.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=36VU0LUUJwE

:lol:

Do you think anyone here really cares what that little slime-ball says?

Hillary apparently does :face:

She cares in the same way the miller cares for grist.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on August 26, 2016, 04:29:47 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 26, 2016, 03:32:45 AM
I was hoping after time out you could finally move on from him. Alas.

I did move on from him somewhat (I definitely have from alt right), but I appreciate a good troll when I see one. I mean I am still friends with Jaron and Fireblade.

Besides, don't you think it's ridiculous for an ostensibly sensible candidate for the most powerful position in the world to read those headlines as if they were some horrid revelations? They are quite clearly trolls, and she is falling for it hook and sinker. It has been said that Trump sucks as a candidate because he would start a nuclear war over a tweet - it seems in Hillary's case it would be over a dank meme.

This may come as shocking to you, but most people don't think internet trolls are particularly cool or admirable.  She knows they are trolls, most of her listeners know they are trolls, and that's the point.  She's banking on a majority of Americans not wanting to turn over the country to someone whose idea of effective political communication comes from socially maladjusted internet dorks.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on August 26, 2016, 07:18:42 AM
I bet if you also count all the bellboys, taxi drivers, waiters and maids Hillary met during her time in the Department of State, the percentage of people who are her foundation's donors would be ever lower.

Again, this may be news, but a significant part of a Secretary of State's job involves meeting with representatives of foreign states.  Discussions with belboys, while incidental, are not core to the job.
--Joan Robinson

Tonitrus

Quote from: Legbiter on August 26, 2016, 09:08:56 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on August 26, 2016, 08:56:01 AM
The Donald has disappointed me.  :(

At the start of this drama he was perhaps the greatest troll to ever live. He punked the entire Republican party at a stride. Now, with his extremely sad and stagnant poll numbers, he seems more like a sad little joke. Where's the exuberant and reckless bashing of basically everyone but himself? It was crap like that that made him endearing. He seems like a shell of himself now. That racist Breitbart guy was supposed to launch him into a new wave of Trumpism. I see no evidence it's going to happen. Or maybe I've just become numb to it all.

Trump seems sad and low energy compared to his old self.  :(

It's just that it's day 9 of Trump not being very interesting compared to his old self and it's getting us down a little.

Browsed CNN yesterday and they look ready to start cannibalizing each other due to his pivot.

I think it is also that, since the Republican primaries/convention is over, the media interest in non-stop coverage has waned.  Excluding, of course, covering any kind of negative angle possible, as they are virtually united in sinking him (and sometimes it almost seems, he is trying to sink himself too).

Perhaps his only chance now is some really good debate performances....though his new political team may have him dodge them altogether.  A bad idea I think...this is becoming a case where Trump needs to "take the stand" as it were. 

Valmy

If somebody is looking for some way to torture me for information making me watch one of those debates would be a quick method.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2016, 12:16:02 PM
If somebody is looking for some way to torture me for information making me watch one of those debates would be a quick method.

Ah come on - a Trump - Clinton debate has got to be seen to be believed.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.