Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2016, 03:49:26 PM
Quote from: frunk on August 23, 2016, 03:44:07 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2016, 03:40:28 PM
I guess that is the most bizarre part of this. It is the exact same crap everybody has been recently doing yet somehow in this one instance it is OUTRAGEOUS. Especially since Clinton voted to reform this system when given the chance.

But hey at the end of the day it is not like I was under the impression the Clintons do not live in the gray area.

Their name is on the group, which somehow makes it more significant than Citizens for Kumquats or whatever.

Ah I see. Remarkably poor branding there.

But my problem has always been that regardless of how shady the Clintons are, Hillary is the only candidate who is even remotely acceptable to me. But, you know, them being shady in the 90s didn't hurt the country much so I don't see why it would again.

Yeah the 90s actually look quite rosy in hindsight. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2016, 03:08:18 PM
I was just coming to post that story. :o

And for those (Minsky <_<) whose defence is that the Clinton Foundation did good work, and the Clinton's didn't personally benefit, so what's the harm...

Well for starters they did benefit - the Foundation paid their travel (Charter or First class, of course) to any number of international destinations.

But mostly at their level it isn't about money.  They were pulling it in pretty good coin from the speeches.  But it's about influence.  It gave them two billion dollars to be big players in the world of international development.  It allowed them to keep a staff of 350 employed, give her supporters good jobs, and pick out the best and brightest for Hillary's campaigns.

But just in case I wasn't clear though, my motto for this campaign is

Agreed.

I think it's part of that sort of globalisation of ethics. Our politicians nowadays are hanging round with the ultra-rich billionaires and often autocrats at places like Davos. I think they see that now as where they belong rather than retiring to be comfortably wealthy from a mid-century British, or American perspective, they are measuring themselves against Kazakh and Russian oligarchs, Sheikhs and rather amoral masters of the universe. Add to the fact that they are now largely winning office and retiring young they have many years to do that. I've no doubt it's well meant - whether it's Blair or Clinton shilling for the Kazakh regime - but I think it's undoubtedly corrupting.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

jimmy olsen

She's married to Trump. Also that apartment is garish and gaudy as fuck.

In other news, Bill O'reilly and Scott Brown have been added to the Fox News harassment scandal.

http://latest.com/2016/08/bill-oreilly-ex-senator-scott-brown-named-in-explosive-sexual-harassment-lawsuit-against-fox-news/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=ta&utm_campaign=iwvo12
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 23, 2016, 09:40:28 PM
Also that apartment is garish and gaudy as fuck.

I remember some show on which he was giving a tour of it...your description is very apt.

Admiral Yi

I've been thinking what a weak candidate Hillary is and how lucky she is to be facing Trump.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

That picture reminds me of my initial impression of Trump.  I thought he was funny, hammy and harmless.  I wouldn't mind if his main policy proposal is to turn the White House into Golden Trump House.  That would be fun in its own way.  But he stopped being funny very early into his campaign. 

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 23, 2016, 09:52:04 PM
I've been thinking what a weak candidate Hillary is and how lucky she is to be facing Trump.
Was it really luck, or something else?  :ph34r:

Barrister

You're hardly the only one.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Phillip V

And previously Sanders.

Admiral Yi

Admiral Yi

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 23, 2016, 08:31:46 AM
In the world of politics currying favor isn't the same corruption. Corruption is an illegal quid pro quo for services rendered, or similar things. If we viewed "currying favor" as corruption then no legislative deals could get passed, no international treaties could be signed etc. We live in a world where guys can go straight from the boardroom of a major company, to government office, take actions to benefit that company as a public official, then later go back to said company's board room and collect massive pay checks. That is 100% kosher in our system. Yet somehow a charitable foundation and donations to it represent this grave immorality? I just don't see it.

If anything, the Clintons are less entangled than most high level politicians who have deep corporate ties, because the Clintons have no direct financial interest in the spending of the Clinton Foundation. This seems way less concerning to me than the business ties of Bush and Cheney, for example.

This is a lawyer's response to a PR problem.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on August 23, 2016, 10:05:22 PM
Was it really luck, or something else?  :ph34r:

This is the GOP reaping what it had sowed in the Southern Strategy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017