News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2016, 02:31:38 AM

In the speech, Trump also said he was "fighting for peaceful regime change in our country" and warned gravely of potential election fraud. "You got to go out and watch. You know what I'm talking about." Trump has long made unsubstantiated claims about "a rigged election" and warned of in-person voter fraud recently at a campaign stop in Pennsylvania.
He just really is the Republican id right now.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on August 23, 2016, 12:29:40 AM
You mean this Bahrain:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahrain_Bloody_Thursday

Besides, is your point that foreigners paying for access to politicians is only bad when they come from countries the US is at war with?

No, I think that's great, too. Especially when it torques up your whiny faggot ass.  Can't put a price on that.

Valmy

Donald Trump veered off the teleprompter on Monday night to claim that "inner cities run by the Democrats" were more dangerous than countries such as Iraq and Afghanistan.

Gosh what sort of Democrats might he be talking about?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2016, 07:14:35 AM
Donald Trump veered off the teleprompter on Monday night to claim that "inner cities run by the Democrats" were more dangerous than countries such as Iraq and Afghanistan.

Gosh what sort of Democrats might he be talking about?

Emanuel Rahm, I assume.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on August 23, 2016, 07:18:32 AM
Emanuel Rahm, I assume.

When is somebody going to solve our Jewish problem Marty?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on August 23, 2016, 07:52:25 AM
What the fuck?  :huh:

Oh come on. You name a Jew and I cannot give you a hard time for it?

OttoVonBismarck

In the world of politics currying favor isn't the same corruption. Corruption is an illegal quid pro quo for services rendered, or similar things. If we viewed "currying favor" as corruption then no legislative deals could get passed, no international treaties could be signed etc. We live in a world where guys can go straight from the boardroom of a major company, to government office, take actions to benefit that company as a public official, then later go back to said company's board room and collect massive pay checks. That is 100% kosher in our system. Yet somehow a charitable foundation and donations to it represent this grave immorality? I just don't see it.

If anything, the Clintons are less entangled than most high level politicians who have deep corporate ties, because the Clintons have no direct financial interest in the spending of the Clinton Foundation. This seems way less concerning to me than the business ties of Bush and Cheney, for example.

Legbiter

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 23, 2016, 08:31:46 AM
In the world of politics currying favor isn't the same corruption. Corruption is an illegal quid pro quo for services rendered, or similar things.

I would think so too because if not then voting for Clinton would make me a supremely kind and sensitive gentleman.  :hmm:

Another motherlode of emails en route it seems.

QuoteThe FBI's year-long investigation of Hillary Clinton's private email server uncovered 14,900 emails and documents from her time as secretary of state that had not been disclosed by her attorneys, and a federal judge on Monday pressed the State Department to begin releasing emails sooner than mid-October as it planned.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/local/public-safety/fbi-uncovered-at-least-14900-more-documents-in-clinton-email-investigation/2016/08/22/36745578-6643-11e6-be4e-23fc4d4d12b4_story.html
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

garbon

Quote from: Legbiter on August 23, 2016, 09:04:45 AM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 23, 2016, 08:31:46 AM
In the world of politics currying favor isn't the same corruption. Corruption is an illegal quid pro quo for services rendered, or similar things.

I would think so too because if not then voting for Clinton would make me a supremely kind and sensitive gentleman.  :hmm:

Another motherlode of emails en route it seems.

QuoteThe FBI's year-long investigation of Hillary Clinton's private email server uncovered 14,900 emails and documents from her time as secretary of state that had not been disclosed by her attorneys, and a federal judge on Monday pressed the State Department to begin releasing emails sooner than mid-October as it planned.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/local/public-safety/fbi-uncovered-at-least-14900-more-documents-in-clinton-email-investigation/2016/08/22/36745578-6643-11e6-be4e-23fc4d4d12b4_story.html

Best, of course, is that all articles note that the FBI is also trying to determine how many of these are duplicates of emails already released. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Also this reminds me of loads of stories that may be worthwhile but don't matter until there's something clearly wrong and interesting.

A bit like phone hacking. Obviously wrong but ultimately who cares if celebrities' phones are hacked by the tabloids. That story went on for years and noone cared. It didn't change public opinion so it barely affected the papers involved. When it came out that they'd hacked a murdered girl's phone during a police investigation, that changed everything.

Edit: Basically you've already reached everyone who'll care about the emails (and Trump should stop going on about it) short of some really shocking revelations it's pretty much background noise for everyone else.
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Maybe if they just flog that dead horse some more it will win the race for them yet.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on August 23, 2016, 12:30:45 AM
Go back and listen to Trump's launch speech.  He did call Mexican immigrants rapists and criminals without distinguishing between legal and illegals.  His words.

But didn't call on deporting all of them - only illegals.

So what you're saying is that Donald Trump wants to keep rapists and criminals *INSIDE* the United States???

For shame.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

As many have pointed out because of our stupid traditions of due process and fair trials we are not really able to deport illegal immigrants at a rate much faster than we already are. So I am not really sure how he plans on fulfilling that promise.

Jacob

Quote from: Legbiter on August 23, 2016, 09:04:45 AM

I don't think OvB shares your deep seated insecurity.