And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 10, 2016, 02:05:34 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 10, 2016, 02:01:51 PM
The Secret Service has reportedly had 'more than one conversation' with the Trump campaign over the Second Amendment comment

Edit: And I know this is minor but I find it fascinating that he doesn't include himself in the 'Second Amendment people'. He really is an odd GOP candidate.

Link?
Mainly Google :P
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 10, 2016, 02:10:59 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 10, 2016, 02:05:34 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 10, 2016, 02:01:51 PM
The Secret Service has reportedly had 'more than one conversation' with the Trump campaign over the Second Amendment comment

Edit: And I know this is minor but I find it fascinating that he doesn't include himself in the 'Second Amendment people'. He really is an odd GOP candidate.

Link?
Mainly Google :P

My google fu is weak. :(
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-is-in-fourth-place-among-black-voters/

QuoteTrump Is In Fourth Place Among Black Voters

It wasn't that long ago that Donald Trump liked to boast about his support from black voters. And although Trump had a history of controversy on issues of race, it wasn't that crazy to think he could at least outperform the GOP's last two presidential nominees, John McCain and Mitt Romney, with black voters. After all, McCain and Romney were polling at less than 5 percent among black voters after their conventions, and Trump isn't facing off against the first black presidential nominee of a major party.

But Trump is polling worse among black voters than almost every single Republican presidential nominee since 1948 in polls taken between the party conventions and Election Day.

Trump is currently in fourth place among black voters. You read that correctly: He's trailing Hillary Clinton, Libertarian Gary Johnson and Green Party nominee Jill Stein.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on August 10, 2016, 10:50:57 AM
How is it a strong interpretation? 11 countries in the world have death penalty for homosexuality. It just happens they are all Muslim. What they do to gay people is the equivalent of what the Third Reich did to Jews.

As late as 1986, laws criminalizing homosexuality in the US were upheld by the US Supreme Court.  Such laws were still being enforced in some states as late as 2003.  The Supreme Court decision finally invalidating those laws had 3 dissenters.  Trump has stated that he would appoint supreme court justices that share the same judicial philosophy as the 3 dissenters.  HC has stated the opposite.  For an American who gives a single rat's ass about gay rights there is no real choice here. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 10, 2016, 08:31:13 AM
Quote from: dps on August 09, 2016, 06:08:05 PM
Quote from: Malthus on August 09, 2016, 04:09:14 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 09, 2016, 03:39:17 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 09, 2016, 03:34:36 PM
As I say when's the last time a major Presidential candidate said the election was going to be stolen from him and his supporters 100 days before the vote?

It isn't the real concerns that people have that can be remedied that worries me. It's this language of the entire electoral process is rigged and illegitimate from a major candidate (and media figures like Hannity) that I find worrying. Maybe Trump will be a one off but maybe not this sort of language is corrosive because it destroys belief in the system and in the democratic process. Trump's the first, if future candidates pre-announce that their opponents are stealing elections you're getting into trouble.

Well Andrew Jackson outright claimed the election of 1824 was stolen from him, contributing to an uncertain and dangerous time in our Republic. Now, you're probably right in the modern era no one has outright claimed an election will be stolen, at the Presidential candidate level. But a lot of people have persistently made these claims for years. Romney supporters believed inner city Cleveland districts that had zero Romney votes were signs of fraud, and that the polls underrepresented Romney's real support due to a large conspiracy. Libs claimed W. Bush stole both of his elections. Nixon privately made the argument for the rest of his life the 1960 election was stolen from him.

I'm not sure if a larger portion of people believe in systemic rigging than in the past, but maybe it is being spoken louder and is more visible in part because everything is more visible now than it once was.

While all true, there is I think a qualitative difference between saying an election has been stolen, to saying an election will be stolen. Or, what Shelibh is saying.  ;)

Though I do think that in some ways Trump resembles Jackson - let's hope it isn't in the 'committing massacres after becoming president' ways.  :D

I'm not particularly a Jackson fan (I probably would have supported Adams in 1824 and 1828 if I'd been around back then), but I'll be pleasantly surprised if either of this year's nominees turns out to be as good a President as he was.  I figure which ever one of them wins is going to eventually end up compared to Harding or Pierce.

Flouted the rule of law by ignoring the Supreme Court. Confiscated private property illegally and ethnically cleansed Georgia. Destroyed the US economy by torpedoing the National Bank.  His presidency was a disaster.

There are only two things he did that were good, expanded the franchise and threatened to hang Calhoun.

You're such a fucking moron.  I said that I was no fan of Jackson's, so I'm not going to get drawn into a debate with you about how good or bad a President he was.  OvB already made most of the pro-Jackson case anyway.  I just think that we've been given 2 terrible choices.  Well, not exactly--there's really no choice;  I don't see how anyone with intelligence and integrity can vote for Trump.

Zanza

I still don't get why Marty likes Trump. Is he a single issue "voter" about being anti-Muslim? Trump seems to stand against virtually everything else a reasonably liberal European would vote for.

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on August 10, 2016, 04:28:06 PM
I still don't get why Marty likes Trump. Is he a single issue "voter" about being anti-Muslim? Trump seems to stand against virtually everything else a reasonably liberal European would vote for.

He just likes to be edgy. It's all a charade.

Zanza

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 10, 2016, 04:31:19 PM

He just likes to be edgy. It's all a charade.

#MakeWineGlassesPretentiousAgain

The Minsky Moment

Trump will rescue Europe from Islam.
By delivering it to Russian rule.
Under the new Great Putinist Union, the state will not execute people for being gay.  Rather, that task will be handled by neo-fascist youth groups supported by the government.
Much better, you see.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

I still don't get why Marty likes Trump.
"I don't see how anyone with intelligence and integrity can vote for Trump."
Get it?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on August 10, 2016, 04:32:27 PM
Yeah, I guess that must be it.
Plus it's hardly surprising that Marti's seduced by an authoritarian strong man. It's just a surprise he's resisted Putin this long :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Solmyr

What gave you the idea that Marty was liberal or European?