News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Legbiter on August 03, 2016, 01:59:28 PM
If only the pundits and media types were actually highly respected. Seems they are not.  :hmm:

I was talking about Trump's comments.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Legbiter on August 03, 2016, 02:25:32 PM
Quote from: Liep on August 03, 2016, 02:17:49 PM
There's a lot of talk about Trump withdrawing lately, in the off chance that he does, who gets to elect a new candidate? And can those who do ever agree on one?

Fond hope/hallucination at this point.  :hmm:

The man lives for the fight. He actually seems to enjoy this, up bright & early to shitpost on Twitter, off to a rally or two in his private jet to A/B test and hone his rhetoric on the crowd, back to light shitposting before retiring to Trump Tower to rest.  ^_^

This is him living the dream.  :showoff:

I don't know. To me, it seems more like he can't help himself.

Supposedly, when he's not yelling at mothers and their babies and fire marshals and grieving parents, all he does is watch TV. If he catches someone critical of him he'll tweet something. He is much more reactive than not.

Though I guess, in a way,  you're right: Trump is living a dream.  :lol:

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Jacob

John Noonan - Jeb Bush's security advisor on Trump and security (twitter, start from the bottom):

Razgovory

The nuke question has really bothered me about Trump.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on August 03, 2016, 03:05:54 PM
John Noonan - Jeb Bush's security advisor on Trump and security (twitter, start from the bottom):

If there is one thing I would make required reading for a POTUS, aside from the Constitution, it would be Tom Schelling's Nobel lecture:
http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/economic-sciences/laureates/2005/schelling-lecture.pdf

QuoteThe most spectacular event of the past half century is one that did not occur.
We have enjoyed sixty years without nuclear weapons exploded in anger.
What a stunning achievement – or, if not achievement, what stunning good
fortune.
In 1960 the British novelist C. P. Snow said on the front page of the
New York Times that unless the nuclear powers drastically reduced their nuclear
armaments thermonuclear warfare within the decade was a "mathematical
certainty." Nobody appeared to think Snow's statement extravagant.
We now have that mathematical certainty compounded more than four
times, and no nuclear war. Can we make it through another half dozen
decades?
There has never been any doubt about the military effectiveness of nuclear
weapons or their potential for terror. A large part of the credit for their not
having been used must be due to the "taboo" that Secretary of State Dulles
perceived to have attached itself to these weapons as early as 1953, a taboo
that the Secretary deplored.
. . .
This attitude, or convention, or tradition, that took root and grew over
these past five decades, is an asset to be treasured. It is not guaranteed to survive;
and some possessors or potential possessors of nuclear weapons may not
share the convention. How to preserve this inhibition, what kinds of policies
or activities may threaten it, how the inhibition may be broken or dissolved,
and what institutional arrangements may support or weaken it, deserves
serious attention

. . .
The most critical question about nuclear weapons for the United States
Government is whether the widespread taboo against nuclear weapons and
its inhibition on their use is in our favor or against us. If it is in the American
interest, as I believe obvious, advertising a continued dependence on nuclear
weapons, i.e. a U. S. readiness to use them, a U. S. need for new nuclear capabilities
(and new nuclear tests) – let alone ever using them against an enemy
– has to be weighed against the corrosive effect on a nearly universal attitude
that has been cultivated through universal abstinence of sixty years.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Well, now I have read all the required reading to be President of the US. :D   And I'll be 35 this Saturday.  I'm not a Republican, but I understand their ideology, and even respect it when it is closest to the Burkean ideal.  I think I would make a better Republican President than Trump, so if they are still looking for a NeverTrump, I could fill the role.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on August 03, 2016, 04:30:24 PM
Well, now I have read all the required reading to be President of the US. :D   And I'll be 35 this Saturday.  I'm not a Republican, but I understand their ideology, and even respect it when it is closest to the Burkean ideal.  I think I would make a better Republican President than Trump, so if they are still looking for a NeverTrump, I could fill the role.
:unsure: How much do you want for a pardon? :unsure:

lustindarkness

Would it really be that bad if President Trump nukes the whole middle east? :unsure:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on August 03, 2016, 02:19:21 PM
Is there a mechanism to recall a presidential candidate after the convention?  Let's say, hypothetically speaking, that Trump is discovered to be clinically nuts, can he be bumped off the ticket?

I don't know, but considering we don't even have a right to vote for president and states are free to cancel the election entirely, I'm guessing it is a state by state thing. I guess all states have a mechanism to get on the ballot the republican and democratic nominees, but they could have different criteria for determining that (some could say it is the guy picked by the convention no matter what, others could have some ways to change that).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on August 03, 2016, 03:05:54 PM

You really don't need to be a former nuke guy or a security advisor to realize what he is saying.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Another Republican, Illinois Rep Kinzinger, disowned Drumpf.

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 03, 2016, 03:33:30 AM

• Enter Obama, who is playing this perfect.

• He's advising all Republicans to withdraw their endorsement from Trump, effectively making it impossible to do so

• So you have Trump and Obama working in concert to lock people like Ryan and McCain into their endorsement of Trump. Fascinating.

• Ryan and other top Republicans had a plan to nominally endorse Trump and then at the end say "I opposed everything he stood for."

• Ryan's plan is completely falling apart. Trump's conduct is too outrageous to politely disagree with. Also, Trump won't play along.
I don't get this bit. What else can Obama say? I don't think this is political I think it's as sincerely meant as Cameron telling Corbyn to have some decency and resign. Trump isn't fit to be President and is tearing down a great party with him. Endorsing him but tepidly isn't anywhere near enough.
Let's bomb Russia!