Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on July 25, 2016, 05:04:03 PM
Michael Moore on why Trump will win:

http://michaelmoore.com/trumpwillwin/

It is cute how he tries so hard to remain relevant despite consistently failing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Agree with Biscuit that currently members of the cabinet are pretty much ribbon cutters.

However, I will point out that Hillary did publicly distance herself after leaving office from what is arguably Obama's 2nd most disastrous foreign policy move, spending $500 million to arm six deserting Syrians.

frunk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 25, 2016, 05:20:34 PM
However, I will point out that Hillary did publicly distance herself after leaving office from what is arguably Obama's 2nd most disastrous foreign policy move, spending $500 million to arm six deserting Syrians.

If I remember right only a small portion of that money was spent, but I certainly wouldn't argue with you on it being a dumb idea (or at best a middling idea poorly executed).

The Minsky Moment

HC managed to avoid dissolving NATO while Secretary of State, so there's that.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 25, 2016, 04:50:35 PM
Only her name was on the ballot for her Senate election

She was not initially favored to win in 2000.  Strange as it may seem now, Rick Lazio was perceived as a rising star with cross-party appeal.   HC really put in a lot of work upstate, winning a few counties and staying competitive in others to allow the NYC vote to swamp Lazio.  Bill was not a factor in the campaign.  Obviously the name recognition helped her get the nomination but that came with baggage and negatives as well.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Phillip V

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 25, 2016, 05:43:27 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 25, 2016, 04:50:35 PM
Only her name was on the ballot for her Senate election

She was not initially favored to win in 2000.  Strange as it may seem now, Rick Lazio was perceived as a rising star with cross-party appeal.   HC really put in a lot of work upstate, winning a few counties and staying competitive in others to allow the NYC vote to swamp Lazio.  Bill was not a factor in the campaign.  Obviously the name recognition helped her get the nomination but that came with baggage and negatives as well.

I assume the carpetbagging, the horrible sex scandal, Republican demonization, woman factor, Republican Congressman opponent, etc. did not help Hillary Clinton either.  It likely took a lot of courage and work to run for elected office for the first time.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on July 25, 2016, 04:56:07 PM
Her political clout was derived from being Bill's wife.  Now what did she accomplish in those positions?

Killed Gaddafi at the cost of 4 people.  Reagan couldn't even manage that and he lost 160 odd people as a result.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 25, 2016, 04:58:36 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 25, 2016, 04:56:07 PM
Her political clout was derived from being Bill's wife.  Now what did she accomplish in those positions?

So if you "derive clout" from another, you've not achieved anything on your own?

In derfrau's world, the only woman that's ever accomplished anything on her own is Phyllis Schafly.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jaron

Holy Cow, Boston accents are the worst.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

CountDeMoney

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 25, 2016, 06:22:40 PM
Quote from: Jaron on July 25, 2016, 06:19:42 PM
Holy Cow, Boston accents are the worst.

Wickahd hahdcoah.

Maybe you can go to a taco bowl outreach.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

As far as I know, Trump's foreign policy is "Let the Russians win".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

CountDeMoney

Razgovory

Good God, I talked to a few people who believed that Trump is chosen by God for to do great things for this country.  I was then informed that since I never built a multi-billion dollar business from the ground up I can't criticize him.  Plus it's God's business to judge people not mine.  Of course Hillary is a bad person.