And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 25, 2016, 03:50:23 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 25, 2016, 03:06:07 PM
She's never accomplished anything on her own.

lol, Yale University Law School, Class of '73.  What the fuck did you do when you turned 26?

I'm not running for president.  Is that all you got?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Legbiter on July 25, 2016, 03:55:58 PM
Quote from: frunk on July 25, 2016, 03:47:37 PM
A year ago I was saying No Bush No Clinton.  I dislike the idea of political families like these.  I get spiess's problems with Clinton in this regard.  Thanks Republicans for giving us a significantly worse alternative.

I don't quite understand how she does it. She simultaneously sounds like your mom scolding you after having too much to drink and like an angry ex-wife. Not enough men around who want to listen to that for 8 years.

Closed captions to the rescue.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: derspiess on July 25, 2016, 04:35:49 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 25, 2016, 03:50:23 PM

lol, Yale University Law School, Class of '73.  What the fuck did you do when you turned 26?

I'm not running for president.  Is that all you got?

Secretary of State and U.S. Senator you fucking dumb ass.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

I don't know, let's compare her top 5 achievements to Trump's top 5:

1)  Trump:  made a bunch of money on shady real estate deals.  Hillary:  made a bunch of money on a shady real estate deal.

2)  Trump:  hosted a crappy but relatively successful TV reality/game show.  Hillary:  Enabled her husband's philandering.

3)  Trump:  killed the USFL.  Hillary:  Carpetbagged her way to a Senate seat.

4)  Trump:  N/A (there are no further achievements of Donald Trump).  Hillary:  N/A (there are no further achievements of Hillary Clinton).

And before anybody get all pedantic about shit, obviously this list is offered tongue-in-cheek.  Enjoy the humor if you think it's funny, otherwise STFU.  And either way, cry if you love America, because all joking aside, we've got 2 pathetic excuses for Presidential candidates here.

derspiess

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 25, 2016, 04:45:52 PM

All thanks to being Bill Clinton's wife.  Try again genius.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: derspiess on July 25, 2016, 04:48:31 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 25, 2016, 04:45:52 PM

All thanks to being Bill Clinton's wife.  Try again genius.

Only her name was on the ballot for her Senate election and I don't remember Obama being on friendly terms with Bill, in fact they had openly sparred during the 2008 primary, and he appointed her SoS. It was based on her political clout in the party.

I'm confused as to how this phrase "never achieved anything on her own" has any meaning. Every politician is the beneficiary of support and favors from other people.

OttoVonBismarck

But maybe you know of some Daniel Boone-esque rugged individualist politician that won election with no support or aid from any other person, to high public office. If so I'd like to know their name.

derspiess

Her political clout was derived from being Bill's wife.  Now what did she accomplish in those positions?

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: derspiess on July 25, 2016, 04:56:07 PM
Her political clout was derived from being Bill's wife.  Now what did she accomplish in those positions?

So if you "derive clout" from another, you've not achieved anything on your own?

garbon

Quote from: dps on July 25, 2016, 04:48:23 PM
And either way, cry if you love America, because all joking aside, we've got 2 pathetic excuses for Presidential candidates here.

Yeah, I don't see that at all. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

OttoVonBismarck

As for what she achieved in those positions, I'd describe her Senate career as fairly typical, Wiki summarizes her Senate career link. She was there for 1 and 1/3 term, Senators aren't really all that big at achieving anything (they're 1 of 100 and very few aside from top leadership have a major influence on legislation by themselves), but she did do things like secure funding for WTC site redevelopment and such, she appeared to ably send benefits back to her constituency which is the primary purpose of a Senator.

As SecState her getting China, Russia and the EU on board for concerted sanctions against Iran was a pretty big accomplishment, arguably bigger than anything Lurch has done in office or failures like Colin Powell (whose only achievement appears to have been a speech in the UN which failed to get UN approval for our Iraq invasion.)

I wouldn't agree that she was one of our five best SecStates, but I'd also argue that SecState isn't as important as it once was. The White House and the executive branch has become more unitary over time. Presidents used to genuinely delegate huge swathes of policy to cabinet secretaries. Now, they tend to delegate to White House senior staff (who as mostly unknown will & pleasure employees are easier to control than Senate-nominated and politically powerful cabinet secretaries) and a lot of times the cab sec is mostly just a bureaucrat who if they're on good terms with the President can be a key advisor but often times the cab sec is just executing their marching orders from the President (or rather, their professional civil servant staffs), while they do photo ops and meet and greets. So while her SecState career wasn't amazing, within the narrow confines of the modern cabinet secretary's remit, she did about average.