Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Quote from: Barrister on May 04, 2016, 11:28:49 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 04, 2016, 11:27:30 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2016, 11:18:32 AM
They are right on Kasich planning to drop out tonight.
Holy crap!  So does that mean Trump has clinched the nomination? :o

He's not formally the nominee until the convention, but yeah, it sure seems so.

Like Grant and Lee at Appomattox, Trump will receive their formal surrender in Cleveland.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2016, 11:33:57 AM
Why would anyone in GOP who is not insane would want to stop Trump at the moment?

Wait are you saying that putting Donald Trump in the White House is a non-insane thing to do? Dude life is about more than just LULZ on the internet.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Why would anyone in GOP who is not insane would want to stop Trump at the moment?

Because they aren't racists, don't hate immigrants, don't want to support for president an obvious egomaniac, and because bluster doesn't substitute for a set of thought out policy positions?

However, you don't really need someone sane to stop him.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2016, 11:38:02 AM
So, in other words, Dorsey's "there would yet be the possibility of keeping Trump from being the nominee" is purely delusional and simply sour grapes/inability to admit he was so so wrong?

Pretty much.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on May 04, 2016, 11:39:37 AM
So, in other words, Dorsey's "there would yet be the possibility of keeping Trump from being the nominee" is purely delusional and simply sour grapes/inability to admit he was so so wrong?

Pretty much.

I see 3 possibilities of stopping Trump from getting the nomination:

1) He suffers a health crisis / death
2) Some confluence of events, probably involving serious criminal allegations regarding Trump, happens so that the convention rules are altered in such a way to exclude Trump without too much objection
3) assassination
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Jaron

4) America's secret anti-Trump weapon? Hillary Clinton, America's abuelita
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on May 04, 2016, 11:37:43 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2016, 11:33:23 AM
Incidentally, if he is the only candidate left, do they go ahead with primaries with only him on the ballot or just assume he gets all the delegates that there are to get.

Keep going. California likes to at least pretend it is relevant in national politics.

Just checked the delegate count spread and yeah, even if Trump gets all the delegates from now on, he will not get the majority before the last primaries on 7 June.

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on May 04, 2016, 11:42:56 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 04, 2016, 11:39:37 AM

Pretty much.

I see 3 possibilities of stopping Trump from getting the nomination:

1) He suffers a health crisis / death
2) Some confluence of events, probably involving serious criminal allegations regarding Trump, happens so that the convention rules are altered in such a way to exclude Trump without too much objection
3) assassination

Ok if your point is that you are right that Trump will not get nomination because he gets assassinated, then this is really no longer a reasonable discussion.  :lol:

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on May 04, 2016, 11:38:54 AM

Wait are you saying that putting Donald Trump in the White House is a non-insane thing to do? Dude life is about more than just LULZ on the internet.

I think he would be a better President than people fear.

Legbiter

Ok 'fess up, which one of you pranksters told her to get a Trump haircut?  :mad:

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2016, 11:49:46 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 04, 2016, 11:38:54 AM

What on earth would make you say that?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

DGuller

In theory, as far as I know, GOP can change the rules to say that you need 100% of delegates to get the nomination, and if you fall short, it's open season.  In practice it's unlikely, but this is an unusual year in politics to say the least.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2016, 11:49:46 AM

He has wrecked basically everything he has managed in his entire career. He is a totally inexperienced neophyte convinced of his own genius.