2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on May 09, 2013, 06:15:46 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 09, 2013, 06:15:06 PM
The people are the law?

God, why did we ever see fit to give women the vote?
You didn't have a say.
And that's probably why it worked out so badly.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

It is too early :P

I like Rubio and Christie a lot. I thought Christie was maybe a bit too New Jersey for a Presidential race, but I'm not so sure after seeing him during Sandy.

I have a lot of time for Jindal but I don't think he has the charisma to be a Presidential candidate. The problem for Jeb Bush is that he lost the Florida election in the 90s, he's by far the best Bush (of that generation). He would've made a good President.

Paul is an endearing mentalist. We mustn't let the endearing make us forget all of the mental. Speaking of which, I think Cruz will run and could do quite well.

The Democrats would be mad to choose Clinton and hopefully she won't run.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 09, 2013, 07:59:59 PM
Speaking of which, I think Cruz will run and could do quite well.

You're sick in the head.  If he ran, it would look like a negative print of the '84 electoral college.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

So let's see...Michelle Bachmann, Rick Santorum, Rand Paul, Ted Cruz...
Oh yeah, I'm thoroughly going to enjoy the primary season.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 09, 2013, 08:06:04 PM
Speaking of which, I think Cruz will run and could do quite well.
You're sick in the head.  If he ran, it would look like a negative print of the '84 electoral college.
Sheilbh's political instincts are uniquely Westminster.  Because of that, he tends to think that interesting politicians have far more of a chance than they do.  In the 21st century, the only people who have run for US President in a general election were obviously broken robots.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Good insight Neil.

Is Todd Cruz all that interesting though?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 09, 2013, 08:29:08 PM

He is if you dig attack dog politics, bucking the system, pissing off the old timers, etc.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Neil on May 09, 2013, 08:26:41 PM
Sheilbh's political instincts are uniquely Westminster.  Because of that, he tends to think that interesting politicians have far more of a chance than they do.  In the 21st century, the only people who have run for US President in a general election were obviously broken robots.
As I say I meant in the primary. There's no point discussing the Presidential election at this point when we don't even know who the definite primary candidates are, far less the final candidates.

QuoteGood insight Neil.
But it's nonsense. The opposite is true. Westminster elections are about parties which are led by people chosen internally. With the odd exception, normally in unique circumstances, that doesn't produce interesting politicians.

As an aside I don't think Cruz is that interesting - all the others mentioned are more interesting than him. But I think he'll run and I think he could do pretty well.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 09, 2013, 08:33:08 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 09, 2013, 08:29:08 PM

He is if you dig attack dog politics, bucking the system, pissing off the old timers, etc.

Hmm.  That does sound pretty nice.  Go on.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Yes, because there simply isn't enough obstructionist douchebaggery in Washington as it is.  MOR PLZ

garbon

It is too early :P

I like Rubio and Christie a lot. I thought Christie was maybe a bit too New Jersey for a Presidential race, but I'm not so sure after seeing him during Sandy.

I have a lot of time for Jindal but I don't think he has the charisma to be a Presidential candidate. The problem for Jeb Bush is that he lost the Florida election in the 90s, he's by far the best Bush (of that generation). He would've made a good President.

Paul is an endearing mentalist. We mustn't let the endearing make us forget all of the mental. Speaking of which, I think Cruz will run and could do quite well.

The Democrats would be mad to choose Clinton and hopefully she won't run.

What do you think typifies New Jersey?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 09, 2013, 09:08:34 PM
Yes, because there simply isn't enough obstructionist douchebaggery in Washington as it is.  MOR PLZ

When you disagree with the agenda being pushed, isn't it your moral obligation to obstruct?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on May 10, 2013, 08:55:05 AM

When you disagree with the agenda being pushed, isn't it your moral obligation to obstruct?

:huh:

No? It's your moral obligation to work together toward a compromise that works for the majority of the people. That's how it's worked for two centuries, anyway.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on May 10, 2013, 09:00:11 AM
Quote from: derspiess on May 10, 2013, 08:55:05 AM

:huh:

No? It's your moral obligation to work together toward a compromise that works for the majority of the people. That's how it's worked for two centuries, anyway.

For everything?  You should compromise on everything?