2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on May 10, 2013, 09:01:52 AM

For everything?  You should compromise on everything?

Everything that has a compromise, yes. That's their job.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on May 10, 2013, 09:08:39 AM

So you can't think of any proposed legislation or agenda you would simply want to block altogether?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on May 10, 2013, 09:21:09 AM
Quote from: merithyn on May 10, 2013, 09:08:39 AM

So you can't think of any proposed legislation or agenda you would simply want to block altogether?

Want to do? Absolutely. Would do? Very few.

The only ones that I could see doing that with are those that don't specifically affect day-to-day living, and where the country is roughly split down the middle.

So, for instance, if the country was still split on abortion, I would have no problem obstructing a bill meant to abolish it. That being said, I would still want to work toward a compromise of limiting abortion rather than abolishing it.

On taxing and cutting the budget, though? Yeah, no. Sorry. Find a compromise. Make it work. That's. Your. Job.

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on May 10, 2013, 09:28:58 AM
On taxing and cutting the budget, though? Yeah, no. Sorry. Find a compromise. Make it work. That's. Your. Job.

On this I think we pretty much agree.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on May 10, 2013, 09:33:14 AM

Then I don't really understand your point here:

Quote from: derspiess on May 10, 2013, 08:55:05 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 09, 2013, 09:08:34 PM
Yes, because there simply isn't enough obstructionist douchebaggery in Washington as it is.  MOR PLZ

When you disagree with the agenda being pushed, isn't it your moral obligation to obstruct?

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on May 10, 2013, 10:59:48 AM
Quote from: derspiess on May 10, 2013, 09:33:14 AM

Then I don't really understand your point here:

Quote from: derspiess on May 10, 2013, 08:55:05 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 09, 2013, 09:08:34 PM
Yes, because there simply isn't enough obstructionist douchebaggery in Washington as it is.  MOR PLZ

When you disagree with the agenda being pushed, isn't it your moral obligation to obstruct?

Well it depends on the situation, obviously.  If there was a federal proposal to ban gay marriage across all the states, would you compromise or obstruct?

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on May 10, 2013, 11:18:40 AM

Well it depends on the situation, obviously.  If there was a federal proposal to ban gay marriage across all the states, would you compromise or obstruct?

I would compromise. In fact, I would push that all legal binding joinings be considered civil unions and all "marriages" would take place in religious or secular settings that have no bearing on the law.

That way, marriages are still the domain of the churches, and anyone who chose to could legal bind themselves to another consenting adult.

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on May 10, 2013, 11:28:13 AM

I would compromise. In fact, I would push that all legal binding joinings be considered civil unions and all "marriages" would take place in religious or secular settings that have no bearing on the law.

That way, marriages are still the domain of the churches, and anyone who chose to could legal bind themselves to another consenting adult.

:lol:  That's not compromise, dear.

Jacob

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on May 10, 2013, 11:36:29 AM

How so, nancy?

crazy canuck

We may have found the problem.  Republicans and their supporters dont know what compromise means.  May also be the root of the gun nut problem. :hmm:

Grey Fox

Quote from: merithyn on May 10, 2013, 11:28:13 AM

What would be a compromise in this case then?

@Meri. I love that idea, so much I've been saying it for years!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on May 10, 2013, 11:43:44 AM

Oh so, nancy?

It's not.  It's changing it into an entirely different issue.  Not one without merit, mind you, just something different.

And you're the only woman I know to be offended by "dear" :huh:

merithyn

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 10, 2013, 11:48:35 AM
What would be a compromise in this case then?

@Meri. I love that idea, so much I've been saying it for years!

Same here. It's the best compromise there is, as both groups get what they want, and people can shut up about the whole thing.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on May 10, 2013, 11:50:14 AM

It's not.  It's changing it into an entirely different issue.  Not one without merit, mind you, just something different.

No, it's giving both sides what they want. Religious folks want to control what "marriage" is, while gay folks want the legal benefits that come with marriage. So, divorce the term "marriage" from the legal benefits. Give that term back to the churches (and any other group who wishes to use it) while giving the legal benefits to anyone who qualifies under Federal guidelines, ie two consenting adults wishing to legally join their finances from here on out.

And you're the only woman I know to be offended by "dear" :huh:

It's condescending.