2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on May 09, 2013, 01:47:03 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 09, 2013, 01:25:23 PM

Andrew Coumo, his son (and current governor of New York). Also as far as I know Mario was also a Democrat...

My mistake. (And I thought they were Democrats, but figured I had it wrong.)

Okay, now you succeeding confusing *me* :P

QuoteMy point was more that Republicans from the upper east coast play far better in middle America than any other Republicans.

Let's get back to the gun thing.  Were you saying that gun control plays well in the heartland??
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 09, 2013, 01:52:09 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 09, 2013, 01:45:37 PM
Oh look, and they kept Rinse Previous as RNC chairman, too.  Unanimously. 

Hey, don't knock my boy.  His rebranding initiative was a political masterpiece :lol:

Some masterpiece, business as usual.  "Your boy" is going to be the reason the GOP's going to get waxed again in 2016.  10 years ago, the party chairman would've gotten booted out faster than you can say "bodybags for fags" for being responsible for such a loss like November's.  But no, not Today's GOP.  So much for rebranding.  Letting ethnicky guys like Rubio take the lead on issues isn't exactly fooling anybody.

Maybe your kids will see a Republican in the White House in their lifetimes, but as long as numbnuts like Rinse Previous are in charge, you won't.

QuoteSo much for not being the "party of the stupid" next time around.

QuoteYeah, we are the stupid party :(

The Slurpee Tiger's words, not mine.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on May 09, 2013, 01:54:45 PM

Let's get back to the gun thing.  Were you saying that gun control plays well in the heartland??

The kind of gun control that's being presented right now has pretty high approval rates around here. Do they want to lose all of their guns? No, of course not. Do they see the value in banning the bigger, unnecessary guns that are on the chopping block right now? Yep.

At least, the non-partisan folks tend to, and that's a lot of who we're talking about. The GOPers don't care who's running; they vote Republican. The Dems don't care who's running; they vote Democrat. But the people who vote for the person and not the party are the ones who were for the legislation that just got shot down.

It's not all or nothing for most of the people around here, anyway. They recognize common-sense gun laws, and support them at the same time that they support the right to own hunting rifles and handguns. Those are the people the GOP need to win over, and those are the ones the GOP just don't get.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 09, 2013, 01:53:07 PM
Quote from: merithyn on May 09, 2013, 08:19:47 AM
Quote from: derspiess on May 09, 2013, 08:17:22 AM
Oh, I forgot-- this is Languish, where hatred of Teh RIght obscures all objective thought.

:secret: garbon is on the right. :secret:

Not any more than Yi is on the left.

I've voted for few people with Ds near their names.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 09, 2013, 02:00:23 PM
Maybe your kids will see a Republican in the White House in their lifetimes, but as long as numbnuts like Rinse Previous are in charge, you won't.

RNC/DNC chair doesn't decide elections and eventually the Democrats will get the blame for the shortcomings of the "new economy" if they can't find a way to turn it around. Wasn't Hans saying the exact opposite thing in 2004?  :hmm:

@garbon- your favorite pol has a D, you're on record :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 09, 2013, 02:14:10 PM

Well where are the brassy, non-crazy Republican women?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on May 09, 2013, 02:04:15 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 09, 2013, 01:54:45 PM

The kind of gun control that's being presented right now has pretty high approval rates around here. Do they want to lose all of their guns? No, of course not. Do they see the value in banning the bigger, unnecessary guns that are on the chopping block right now? Yep.

At least, the non-partisan folks tend to, and that's a lot of who we're talking about. The GOPers don't care who's running; they vote Republican. The Dems don't care who's running; they vote Democrat. But the people who vote for the person and not the party are the ones who were for the legislation that just got shot down.

It's not all or nothing for most of the people around here, anyway. They recognize common-sense gun laws, and support them at the same time that they support the right to own hunting rifles and handguns. Those are the people the GOP need to win over, and those are the ones the GOP just don't get.

Hold up-- we're not just talking about background checks.  Cuomo pushed through some of the most restrictive anti-gun legislation in the country.  That will not play well in the heartland, by & large.

As to support of banning "the bigger, unnecessary guns" I think you're projecting.  If that were such a strongly supported initiative, you'd think the states in flyover country would be passing their own laws to that effect by now.  They're not.  In fact, some are moving the opposite way.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on May 09, 2013, 02:16:06 PM

Is Nikki Haley crazy?  Or not brassy enough?  Both?

MadImmortalMan

I officially don't care.

I voted three times for Obama. Whatever. It does not matter. I will confine myself to trading stocks and gaming the trends. I have lots of Japanese shit right now.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on May 09, 2013, 02:27:17 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 09, 2013, 02:16:06 PM

Is Nikki Haley crazy?  Or not brassy enough?  Both?

Not relevant enough.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on May 09, 2013, 02:22:41 PM

Hold up-- we're not just talking about background checks.  Cuomo pushed through some of the most restrictive anti-gun legislation in the country.  That will not play well in the heartland, by & large.

:huh:

I'm not talking about Cuomo. I'm talking about non-partisan midwesterners, who they vote for, and why. You're right, they didn't like Cuomo's laws. But they also supported the ban on ARs and requiring background checks.

QuoteAs to support of banning "the bigger, unnecessary guns" I think you're projecting.  If that were such a strongly supported initiative, you'd think the states in flyover country would be passing their own laws to that effect by now.  They're not.  In fact, some are moving the opposite way.

Dunno about elsewhere, but we've had Republican reps support those bans here in Illinois. Mark Kirk, a downstate Republican, brought up having another 10-year ban on the books to the House a while ago. Iowa, I believe (Yi will correct me if I'm wrong on this, I'm sure), also had some movement in that direction.

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Berkut on May 09, 2013, 07:54:45 AM
Unless something radically changes, I am going to be as anti-Republican as I have ever been in my entire life.

Maybe this actually happens more than I think, and I should not be so appalled by it, but the fact the entire Republican Party has spent the last eight years with the stated mission of what I see as "If we simply refuse to govern, the country will be fucked up enough that we can then blame it on the Dems since they are in charge" is simply astounding.

Rewarding them for that would simply make it obvious that the Dems should do the exact same thing, and establish that the role of the opposition party in US government is to work AGAINST governing the country in any way.

I know I've always been about the militant moderate, and that there is nothing fundamentally different between the manner in which each party pretty much acts as tribes that care more about getting the other guy, not matter what the actual policy issues might be, but even at the worst of the MoveOn insanity, I've never seen an entire national party apparatus openly and consistently operate in a clear effort to actually harm the country for political gain. The Dems did it in a narrow sense, but never across the board like this, and the nutcases never got buy in from the moderates the way the Republican nutcases have forced all the GOP to march to their tune.

Also, since the gun nuts are all pretty much right wing nuts, I want their to be political consequences for what appears to be most of our legislative representatives actually representing the NRA rather than their constituents. But that is probably an even more vain hope than the desire to see politicians punished for refusing to govern.

Word.   :hug:
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

CountDeMoney

Sure, but when I say it, I'm Captain Occupy McMarxist.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 09, 2013, 02:00:23 PM
Some masterpiece, business as usual.  "Your boy" is going to be the reason the GOP's going to get waxed again in 2016.  10 years ago, the party chairman would've gotten booted out faster than you can say "bodybags for fags" for being responsible for such a loss like November's.  But no, not Today's GOP.  So much for rebranding.  Letting ethnicky guys like Rubio take the lead on issues isn't exactly fooling anybody.

:whoosh:

Stand down.  I was being sarcastic.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 09, 2013, 03:32:13 PM
Sure, but when I say it, I'm Captain Occupy McMarxist.
I don't think you've ever said that.  You wouldn't be able to resist throwing in something snarky.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.