2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on July 27, 2015, 04:18:00 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 27, 2015, 03:43:21 PM
Anyway grabon, not basic but basics, as in your traditional basics of the GOP.  Kasich is a 90s-style Republican, but I can see how someone of your young age would miss that :P

90s republicans were rather embarrassing.

I'm sure all old people were to you back then.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on July 27, 2015, 04:30:42 PM

Yeah but there is regular, plain vanilla embarrassing and then there is Newt Gingrich level embarrassing.  That's like Hall of Fame level embarrassing.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 27, 2015, 05:55:14 PM

Yeah but there is regular, plain vanilla embarrassing and then there is Newt Gingrich level embarrassing.  That's like Hall of Fame level embarrassing.

Remember when Newt Gingrich tried to give the House members 11 books or something to read, and included some crank futurists on the reading list?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Newt was just one guy, though.  And he seemed okay at the time :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on July 28, 2015, 11:32:06 AM

Newt was just one guy, though.  And he seemed okay at the time :D

Newt circa 1994 was pretty cool.   :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

How odd.  :hmm:

Click the link to see the graphs
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/trump-finds-support-two-very-different-places-n399891

Politics
Jul 28 2015, 3:48 pm ET

Trump Finds Support in Two Very Different Places

by Dante Chinni

Donald Trump is riding high in the polls in the key early primary states of Iowa and New Hampshire, but a closer look inside the numbers show that the Republican mogul is drawing support from two very different groups of voters, according to the latest NBC News-Marist public opinion polls released Sunday.

One group is underpinned by older voters who are heavily Republican and conservative (in New Hampshire, where he leads the field). The other is driven by younger voters who are more likely to describe themselves as independent and moderate (in Iowa, where he's in second).

The fact that Trump is appealing to both of them is reminder that Republican voters can look very different from state to state and that we are in the very early stages of figuring out the Republican field. On the basic level, the Trump contingents in New Hampshire and Iowa had very different reactions to the candidate's comments on Sen. John McCain, but there are more fundamental differences down the line.

In both states the NBC News-Marist poll was conducted before and after the Trump-McCain flap and differences were remarkable. In New Hampshire, Mr. Trump saw a 12-point decline in support - from 26% before to 14% after. But in Iowa, Mr. Trump actually saw a small increase - from 18% supporting him before to 19% after.

Those differences may have to do with the partisan make-up of Mr. Trump's supporters in both states.

Trump leads the GOP field in New Hampshire in this poll primarily due to his strong support among self-described Republicans. In this poll he carries 21% of the vote from New Hampshire Republicans, next highest on the list is former Florida Jeb Bush at 14% - a seven-point gap.

He also leads by a wide-margin among people who say they are "conservative or very conservative" - carrying 25% of their support. Among "moderates" he's at 11% support, a distant second to Bush at 21%.

But in Iowa, Trump is in second place among Republicans, with 16%, to Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker at 18%. Meanwhile, he is tied with Walker for the independent vote at 16%. And Trump's Iowa voters are also much more likely to be moderates - his Iowa "moderate" and "conservative" numbers are flipped from New Hampshire.

Another big difference: The age of Trump-ites in the two states.

In New Hampshire, Trump's lead comes from a large edge among voters 45 or older. He captures 22% of their vote, while Bush is in second places with those voters at 12% - a 10-point lead.

In Iowa, though, the key to Trump's strength is people who are younger than 45. He wins 26% of those voters - Walker and Bush are tied for a distant second at 13%.

Some differences are expected in polls conducted in different states, but these divides are especially noteworthy and different from other 2016 potentials.

To be fair, there are also some commonalities in Trump's supporters in the two states. In both he tends to do better with those who do not have a college education.

In New Hampshire he dominates with that group, winning 26% of their support. He also leads with college graduates in the state but he only wins 16% of their support. In Iowa, Trump is tied with Walker for the lead among those who do not have a college education, both at 18%. He wins only 16% of supporters who are college graduates.

And one other interesting similarity, in both states Trump is a decisive winner among those who were reached on cellphones.

But going by these numbers, the differences in the New Hampshire and Iowa Trump supporters outweigh the similarities and that raises some questions. Among them, does one state's Trump group represent the "real" Trump core group? Are the differences a function of state electorates that simply radically different? Or is the real impact of the media-driven Trump phenomenon still largely unformed in the states that cast the first votes in the GOP nominating contests?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Still in the lead <_<

http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/trump-surges-new-nbc-news-wsj-poll-n402036

QuoteTrump is the first choice of 19 percent of GOP primary voters, while 15 percent back Walker and 14 percent back Bush. Ten percent support retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Sounds like the smart money would be on Walker.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 02, 2015, 04:56:36 PM
I would think the largest segment of Trump's support would naturally go to Cruz, but Walker does have an aura of a winner about him.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 02, 2015, 06:31:12 PM
I would think the largest segment of Trump's support would naturally go to Cruz, but Walker does have an aura of a winner about him.

That may happen if Trump implodes or drops out before the primaries have started. After New Hampshire, they'll only have a handful of viable candidates left. After Super Tuesday, a couple. As the media has decided Walker is conservative and Bush is moderate, Walker's likely to win if they go head to head.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 02, 2015, 06:31:12 PM

I think Trump doesn't really have support;  he just has name recognition without being named Bush.  He's not going to get many actual votes unless the other non-bush candidates fail to build name recognition.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on July 19, 2015, 07:21:50 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 19, 2015, 07:07:57 PM
So he makes it slightly more difficult for a dark horse who wasn't going to win anyway.
Who knows?  Good debate performance won't get you nominated, but it might prevent you from suffocating if you're a great candidate in search of an opening.

Right now apparently the guy getting shafted by Trump is Rick Perry. If he is the great candidate in search of an opening, the Republic is fucked anyway.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on August 02, 2015, 10:21:47 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 19, 2015, 07:21:50 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 19, 2015, 07:07:57 PM
So he makes it slightly more difficult for a dark horse who wasn't going to win anyway.
Who knows?  Good debate performance won't get you nominated, but it might prevent you from suffocating if you're a great candidate in search of an opening.

Right now apparently the guy getting shafted by Trump is Rick Perry. If he is the great candidate in search of an opening, the Republic is fucked anyway.
The guy on the debate bubble is not the only guy getting shafted by Trump.  The guy who's #14 in the polls may have been shafted as well, because he could've become #9 if he got his name out.  But he couldn't, because Trump's circus act is monopolizing all the coverage.