2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Legbiter

Scanning the US mainstream media feels like watching a collective psychotic break on a national scale.

Stay safe out there my American languishbrahs.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

alfred russel

Quote from: Legbiter on October 14, 2016, 06:31:23 AM
Scanning the US mainstream media feels like watching a collective psychotic break on a national scale.

My experience is that people just don't talk about the election so much.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

Interesting video:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2016/oct/14/florida-voter-disenfrachisement-former-felons-video

QuoteNearly 6 million Americans cannot vote due to felony disenfranchisement. In Florida, 1.7 million people are disenfranchised, or 10.4% of the state's total population. The Guardian takes a closer look at the consequences, and the fight to regain the right to vote, in the midst of a heated election season
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Legbiter

Quote from: alfred russel on October 14, 2016, 06:42:00 AMMy experience is that people just don't talk about the election so much.

Good to hear. 
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

garbon

Stating Trump is an idiot who is going to lose is a collective psychotic break? Mainstream media seems to be loving this.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

I can't but help feel that Assange misplayed his hand. Seems like all these emails would have been much more dangerous when Clinton was still tied with Trump (aka before the first debate). At this point unless there's something in the emails that shows Hillary plans to murder us all (and with early voting already started), how does he think this will tip the needle against Clinton?

http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/300890-assange-grudge-against-clinton-shapes-us-election

QuoteAssange grudge against Clinton shapes US election

Julian Assange's grudge against Hillary Clinton is playing out on the grandest stage possible.

Between now and Election Day on Nov. 8, WikiLeaks is expected to release more than 40,000 more emails about Hillary Clinton that are meant to damage her run for the White House — possibly in batches on a near-daily basis.

The emails, from hacks of the Democratic National Committee and Clinton confidante John Podesta's email account, may be the best chance Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump has of knocking off Clinton, the heavy favorite to win the White House.

That makes Wikileaks founder Assange one of 2016's biggest wild cards.

Assange appears to relish the role.

"He has become which is what I think he always wanted to be: an alternative statesman," said Daniel Domscheit-Berg, a former spokesperson from the organization's early days.

"He's not officially elected, but he's involved in the highest level of political debate. He can have an influence on the U.S. election. It doesn't really get much bigger than this."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

FunkMonk

I think that is just the media having a ball with watching Trump's life implode on national TV. They smell blood in the water, I think. Also he does it to himself  :lol:

I imagine that could change on or after election day though. It depends if Trump actually concedes or if he rejects the vote as rigged.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

It would be amusing if he would pretend he won, ignoring everyone saying otherwise, and just shows up for the inauguration.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

FunkMonk

Also he seems to be realizing he is actually losing. In some of his recent speeches he is talking about how much of a waste of time and money this whole thing would be if he lost, and how he's limping over the finish line.

I think deep down he knows it's over. In the meantime he's going to bathe in the adulation of his most dedicated supporters and give a screed about how the globalist-jewish conspiracy is going to doom us all.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on October 14, 2016, 07:21:11 AM
I can't but help feel that Assange misplayed his hand. Seems like all these emails would have been much more dangerous when Clinton was still tied with Trump (aka before the first debate). At this point unless there's something in the emails that shows Hillary plans to murder us all (and with early voting already started), how does he think this will tip the needle against Clinton?

http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/300890-assange-grudge-against-clinton-shapes-us-election

I he had something big he'd have already released it. He's just trying death from a thousand cuts, which might have worked if Clinton's opponent wasn't doing the same to himself, but with a claymore.

Syt

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/14/politics/donald-trump-old-video-controversial/index.html

QuoteDonald Trump in 1998: 'Imagine how controversial I'd be'

Washington (CNN)Even Donald Trump was able to predict more than a decade ago that he'd be a lightning rod for controversy were he to ever run for president, according to newly resurfaced video.

In a video picked up by Fusion and rebroadcast by NBC this week, Trump told Chris Matthews in a 1998 interview that aired on CNBC that his history with women would be an issue should he make a bid for the White House.

"Can you imagine how controversial I'd be?" Trump said in the clip. "You think about (Bill Clinton) with the women. How about me with the women? Can you imagine?"

According to Fusion, Matthews was asking Trump about someday running for president.

Trump running out of ways to win

Trump's history with women has been in focus throughout the campaign, sharpening this week after the surfacing of a hot mic tape that featured Trump making lewd and sexually aggressive comments.

Since then, several women have come forward to the media to recount allegations that Trump forced himself on them or groped them. Trump has denied all the accusations, calling them total fabrications. CNN has not yet independently confirmed those accounts.

Trump was for decades very accessible to the press, often talking with radio shock jock Howard Stern about his love life and playboy lifestyle.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Monoriu

To me, Trump's greatest crime isn't just that he has behaved in an utterly horrific way.  It is that he is totally unfunny as well.  I have hoped that he would be the best stand-up comedian in the world, but he is the opposite of that.  Obama is actually far more successful in that regard. 

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on October 14, 2016, 08:03:42 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 14, 2016, 07:21:11 AM

I he had something big he'd have already released it. He's just trying death from a thousand cuts, which might have worked if Clinton's opponent wasn't doing the same to himself, but with a claymore.

Indeed, that's why I think he fucked up. Had he released them earlier people might have paid attention. Now mind you, it would have needed Trump to not actually implode on himself nut there's only so much Assange could have managed. :D

derspiess

So what's the deal with that old tape of Obama?  Was he really showing off his boner?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall