2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: celedhring on May 05, 2015, 05:45:55 PM
Yay, Huckabee is running again.

I like Huckabee as a person but don't feel I want him running for President. I think he'd do ok and he's a very decent guy but I kind of want someone with more fire in their gut. Yeah, it's kind of like his time has passed.
Huckabee was good on his TV show, had some good stories and segments, good stuff, and I like the guy. Just not fired up over him running for Pres.

Same for Ben Carson. Smart guy, has had some good things to say but I just feel he's somewhat of a lightweight to be serious contender for President.

celedhring

I know not much of Ben Carson, but the quotes that have made it to our media are extremely cringeworthy. Weapons-grade loon material.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: celedhring on May 05, 2015, 06:58:15 PM
I know not much of Ben Carson, but the quotes that have made it to our media are extremely cringeworthy. Weapons-grade loon material.

The guy was a brain surgeon. For children.

I don't know about his politics but that deserves some real respect I think.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 05, 2015, 07:02:32 PM

The guy was a brain surgeon. For children.

I don't know about his politics but that deserves some real respect I think.
People can be incredibly competent in their job and be complete loons in their politics/personal lives.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

KRonn

He's actually a very smart guy, a leading neuro-surgeon and has spoken often before quite well with some very good understanding of issues. But as I figured, getting into the race is a very different thing and he's stumbled on some questions, probably because he's new at this political stuff.

derspiess

I'm local Cincinnati legend derspiess and I believe in two things: good chicken, and that the census is a way for the UN to make your children gay.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on May 05, 2015, 08:44:14 PM

I'm local Cincinnati legend derspiess and I believe in two things: good chicken, and that the census is a way for the UN to make your children gay.

4 out of 5 dentists agree.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

I'm glad he's running because I like saying "Huckabee" and sometimes "Fuckabee" when he says stuff that annoys me, which is 99% of the time.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 05, 2015, 07:04:13 PMPeople can be incredibly competent in their job and be complete loons in their politics/personal lives.

I know. I mean Ron Paul is a kook too but he delivered babies. Nobody is so one dimensional that you can't find anything admirable about them.

Except maybe Jaron and Fireblade.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

And yet even he attacked Ted Cruz for lacking political nous over the shutdown :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Clinton moves to the left of Obama on immigration. When one combines this with the stance she came out with on criminal justice reform it seems that she's running a much less centrist campaign then I think many anticipated. It's an interesting choice. I think this reflects her natural proclivities, but she's always been much more cautious than this. Perhaps it was Bill's influence and having lost playing the game that way she's decided to play it her way?

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2015/05/hillary_clinton_s_immigration_gamble_the_democratic_frontrunner_just_went.html
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Thank God that after 67 years we're finally seeing a real Clinton, not just one constructed from the clippings of focus groups of their target electorate - in this case Democrats.

She ran to the left of Obama on a number of big issues - especially healthcare - in 2008. But perception matters more.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Based on the photo in the link, it looks like we're finally seeing the Clinton constructed from space age synthetics.

Not sure how you come to the conclusion that going all in on amnesty is "the real Clinton."  That's probably who you wish were the real Clinton.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 06, 2015, 07:13:23 PM
Based on the photo in the link, it looks like we're finally seeing the Clinton constructed from space age synthetics.

Not sure how you come to the conclusion that going all in on amnesty is "the real Clinton."  That's probably who you wish were the real Clinton.
I've always thought Hillary has seemed much more left wing than her husband, even back when I was a dedicated Republican.

One of the reasons I think she lost the nomination in 2008 is because she was obviously fake.

I think this makes her more likely to win the nomination and less likely to win election.

1 Karma Chameleon point