2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 06, 2015, 07:28:07 PM
I've always thought Hillary has always seemed much more left wing than her husband, even back when I was a dedicated Republican.

Based on what?

Admiral Yi

It's also received wisdom to tack left for the primary and tack right for the general.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 06, 2015, 07:31:44 PM
It's also received wisdom to tack left for the primary and tack right for the general.
Also, bollocks :P
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 06, 2015, 07:29:07 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 06, 2015, 07:28:07 PM
I've always thought Hillary has always seemed much more left wing than her husband, even back when I was a dedicated Republican.

Based on what?
Rush always made her seem way further to the left, and since I listened to that with my Dad in the 90s that's where I  gained that impression.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Well it was clear she was the one with the balls.  I mean, who killed Vince Foster?  Wasn't Bill!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

A contract with America for the Left? Some kind of new deal for the American people? I wonder what such a thing would be called? :hmm:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2015/05/13/is_de_blasios_progressive_agenda_aimed_at_clinton_126573.html
QuoteIs de Blasio's Progressive Agenda Aimed at Clinton?

By Rebecca Berg - May 13, 2015

Bill de Blasio stuck out amid a herd of progressive Democrats gathered on Capitol Hill Tuesday, and not just because of his 6-foot-5 frame. The New York mayor stood at the House Triangle, site of so many forgettable press conferences, to unveil something unusual: "The Progressive Agenda," a 13-point mission statement of sorts to guide — or push — the Democratic Party to the left in the coming election cycle.

"Something is changing in America," de Blasio said. "It's time to take that energy and crystallize it into something that can make a difference."

The timing of the announcement, as likely Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton is rolling out her presidential campaign, has struck some observers as curious; to others, it's nothing short of an affront. And the signals de Blasio have sent are muddled.

On the one hand, the first-term mayor is a longtime ally of Bill and Hillary Clinton. Both shared the stage with de Blasio during his swearing-in ceremony, and de Blasio worked as campaign manager during Hillary's 2000 run for Senate. He likely would not wish to derail her candidacy, and is not himself running for president in 2016.

But, during a recent interview on NBC's "Meet the Press," de Blasio waffled when asked if he would "unequivocally" support the party's clear frontrunner.

"Like a lot of people in this country, I want to see a vision," de Blasio said. "I think she's one of the most qualified people to ever run for this office and, by the way, thoroughly vetted. But we need to see the substance."

And then he hit the road, making stops within the past month in Iowa, Nebraska and Wisconsin to talk about income inequality and other progressive priorities addressed in his new doctrine.

"I'm certainly going to be doing this with some regularity," he said after a speech in Milwaukee, Bloomberg reported.

So, what is de Blasio getting at?

"I can only assume it's part of an effort by the progressive wing of the party to take the presidential debate as far to the left as they can," said Jim Manley, a Democratic strategist and former aide to Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid.

But Democrats who have signed on to de Blasio's progressive compact insist it isn't about Clinton.

"There is gossip in Washington that this is about trying to push a certain candidate in a certain direction," former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean acknowledged during his remarks at Tuesday's press conference, alluding to Clinton. "If you look at that candidate's direction, you'll figure out she's embraced a lot of this already."

Driving the conversation of the Democratic primary to the left need not be damaging to Clinton, but a debate over trade taking place not far from the progressive gathering illustrated how it might put her in a tough spot.

Senate Democrats on Tuesday blocked a proposal being pushed by President Obama and Republican leaders that would put international trade agreements to an up-or-down vote in Congress, and thus remove lawmakers' ability to propose or pass amendments. The discussion has been impassioned, with the president in particular taking on Sen. Elizabeth Warren, a key progressive detractor to the trade bill. But Clinton has so far ducked the fray, opting not to take a side.

The Progressive Agenda would "oppose trade deals that hand more power to corporations at the expense of American jobs, workers' rights, and the environment." It also pushes a $15 federal minimum wage, family and sick leave policies, and higher taxes for corporations and the rich, among other priorities.

There is a history of partisan compacts succeeding, but often when they are crafted by party leaders, such as with former House Speaker Newt Gingrich's Contract With America in the 1990s.

"I think it's fascinating that Mayor Bill de Blasio wants to do a Contract With America for the left," Gingrich said last week. "The original contract had big ideas that were backed up by real legislation and led to real change. I look forward to seeing whether Mayor de Blasio can produce an equally effective Contract With America."

Gingrich's covenant also raised his personal profile, and de Blasio might be making a similar calculation.

Or not.

"I don't know exactly why he is the person" to spearhead The Progressive Agenda, one Democratic strategist said. "I give him credit with stepping forward. Clearly a good broad swath of the progressive party trusts him."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

So it appears the President finally has a Twitter account:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/05/18/america-your-president--tweeting-barrack-obama/27529151/

QuotePresident Obama ✔@POTUS
Hello, Twitter! It's Barack. Really! Six years in, they're finally giving me my own account.

QuoteBill Clinton ✔@billclinton
Welcome to @Twitter, @POTUS! One question: Does that username stay with the office? #askingforafriend

Good question, @billclinton. The handle comes with the house. Know anyone interested in @FLOTUS?

:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

The President is on Twitter? I sure hope all of his tweets have to be approved by competent handlers or this will not go well.

Hell it probably would go very badly even so.

So I guess in 2017 this will be President Cruz's account.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on May 19, 2015, 07:49:16 AM
So it appears the President finally has a Twitter account:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/05/18/america-your-president--tweeting-barrack-obama/27529151/

Hello, Twitter! It's Barack. Really! Six years in, they're finally giving me my own account.

QuoteBill Clinton ✔@billclinton
Welcome to @Twitter, @POTUS! One question: Does that username stay with the office? #askingforafriend

Good question, @billclinton. The handle comes with the house. Know anyone interested in @FLOTUS?

:lol:

:bleeding:  I'm sure that was totally spontaneous & whatnot.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 19, 2015, 08:19:01 AM
:bleeding:  I'm sure that was totally spontaneous & whatnot.

I sure the hell hope it wasn't. That twitter feed better be the most boring and uncontroversial thing ever. Which raises the question of why it should exist.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

The Donald announced his candidacy!  America is saved! :weep:

CNN mentioned:

1. Increased benefits for veterans.
2. A Great Wall on the Mexico border, paid for by Mexico.   :wacko:
3. Opposition to the Asia trade deal.  His rationale was "the US has never beat Japan at anything."  :lol:

The last one had the CNN crew tittering.

DGuller

The Donald is in it for attention whoring, and saying wacky things is how he gets his attention.  I guess he realized that he needs to up his game to get noticed in a field like this.