News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Advice Wanted

Started by Zeus, May 08, 2013, 01:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on May 08, 2013, 03:21:28 PM
Thank Hod I don't sell fish tacos no more!

:weep:  But they were good!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

lustindarkness

Quote from: katmai on May 08, 2013, 03:21:28 PM
Thank Hod I don't sell fish tacos no more!

Why the fuck not?!
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

katmai

Too slow to make. Been toying with bring thing them back since I've redone the booth setup. Thanks a lot Alaska fire marshals! <_<
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tonitrus

A bit more comprehensive this time...

Like katmai said...be ready for long days.  It can be great for outdoor activities, but you also get the "hmm, it's probably not too late...WTF IT'S 11PM" effect.

If it gets into the 70s-80s, it'll be a heat wave.  Bring clothing for any kind of weather, but you can probably tone down the winter gear (depending on your actual dates), but you'll definitely want rain gear.  And a camera, definitely.

If you're able to bring a bicycle, the trails through town are awesome.  If you cannot bring one, look into getting a cheap one for the duration.  The trails are great for getting across parts of town, seeing the coastline (and the hotties who jog along it).

Hiking recommendations:

- Flattop: It's right at the edge of Anchorage, and gives great views with a low chance of bears (plenty of moose though).
- Exit Glacier/Harding Icefield: Worth the trip down to Seward, and best late in the summer (upper parts of the trail will still have snow patches into September).  Be VERY bear-aware (first half of the trail is through 8-foot high brush), but the views/scenary are fantastic.  Also, it's not short, and it's very up-hill.
- South Fork Eagle River: A good, fairly level trail out to some high mountain lakes.  Very cool trail, also very rocky/muddy.  Add good boots to that list of required items.

If you get car access, some good scenic drives include the Hatcher Pass area up beyond Palmer/Wasilia, and maybe even the Matanuska Glacier out down the Glen Highway.  If you're still there for the (one) week of awesome fall colors, a drive out that way, and down the Copper River valley to Valdez is freakin' amazing.  But even without the fall colors, the highway to Valdez has another awesome glacier literally right off the side of the highway, that you can walk right up to.

Also:

- A railroad trip up to Denali is also a cool idea as well.
- Hit up the weekend farmer's (really crafts/food) market downtown for cool souvenirs for the family back home.
- As katmai said...if there are two restaurants that are a must-go, it's Moose's Tooth pizza and Snow City cafe (for breakfast). 
- If you like carrot cake, Fire Island Rustic Bakery has the some of the best I've ever come across.

lustindarkness

Quote from: katmai on May 08, 2013, 04:19:26 PM
Too slow to make. Been toying with bring thing them back since I've redone the booth setup. Thanks a lot Alaska fire marshals! <_<

You suck.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

katmai

Sue me for trying to make a profit.
Damn dirty Rican.

lustindarkness

Quote from: katmai on May 08, 2013, 04:53:31 PM
Damn dirty Rican.

Maybe I will.
Damn lazy mexican. <_<
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

crazy canuck

Quote from: lustindarkness on May 08, 2013, 04:59:14 PM
Quote from: katmai on May 08, 2013, 04:53:31 PM
Damn dirty Rican.

Maybe I will.
Damn lazy mexican. <_<

Yi says he is dirty, you say he is lazy.

What is one to think?

katmai

Can't I aspire to be both!?

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

lustindarkness

Quote from: fahdiz on May 08, 2013, 06:18:21 PM
Quote from: katmai on May 08, 2013, 06:16:01 PM
Can't I aspire to be both!?

Dirty lazy mexirican!

Katmai may get to you before I do, but I will kick your nuts (whatever is left over).  :mad:

Then buy you a beer.  :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Zeus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 08, 2013, 01:20:49 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 08, 2013, 12:54:23 PM
What's your deal Zeus?  Long time hanger-on in the game room?

Zues, think long and hard before you answer this question.  It will determine your classification on the Languish scale from now until the end of time.

Can I at least be privy to the spectrum before I'm arbitrarily placed on it?

And thanks everyone for the great ideas, I will probably be hitting up every restaurant I can that was mentioned, and probably most of the hiking trails.
It is leisure, sort of. My uncle offered to fly me up there, get me a job, and find me a place to live for the summer. I'll be working a lot, but I'll have a lot of down time. What I don't spend writing I will spend on all of your suggestions. And yes, fish taco will be high on the priority list.  :cool:
To be cunning and vicious is a fairly obvious shortcut to total victory.