News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Advice Wanted

Started by Zeus, May 08, 2013, 01:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeus

I come here not for lack of resources but because I'm curious as to what the fine people of Languish will say. I'm going to spend a summer in Anchorage, Alaska, and I know absolutely nothing about what to bring, what to do while I'm there, or how I'll pass the time. I was curious as to whether anyone here has been there and could point me to some interesting locales. Yeah, I could scour the internet for biased as shit advertising, but fuck that. Also, if you don't know much about Alaska but you do know travelling, anything interesting would be welcome.
To be cunning and vicious is a fairly obvious shortcut to total victory.

Eddie Teach

All I can say is, don't buy fish at the state fair.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Don't accept invitations from katmai to visit him at his home.  :ph34r:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zeus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 08, 2013, 01:44:40 AM

Well, I'm allergic to fish so that's not a problem, but thanks.

Well, I'm allergic to fish so that's not a problem, but thanks.

Quote from: Syt on May 08, 2013, 01:47:12 AM

Got it, no answering any creepy pms.
To be cunning and vicious is a fairly obvious shortcut to total victory.

katmai

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 08, 2013, 01:44:40 AM

There is some good fish and chips at fair :huh:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Maladict

edit: wrong thread  <_<

katmai

Syt

Quote from: Maladict on May 08, 2013, 02:58:28 AM
If it's Roman era stuff you're after I'd take a weekend to see Pompeii or Herculaneum (I'd pick Herculaneum personally) and spend some time in Naples (the archaeological museum is a must and the Greek/Roman Neapolitan bits are mostly underground but accessible too), but stick to Rome and environs the rest of the time. Rome just has so much to offer it'll be a waste to go elsewhere.

Close to Rome, you'd want to visit Ostia, Hadrian's Villa near Tivoli (Tivoli itself is rather nice too) and the Via Appia park (including catacombs). You'll probably need a full day for each. Pick a Sunday for the Via Appia, no cars will be allowed.
More later.
:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

First off my condolences. Hopefully the weather will warm up as this April was one of the coldest on record and we even had snow Saturday morning (wasn't cold enough to actually accumulate).

The best bets on what to do while here is get down south to Kenai peninsula for some fishing, visit Homer, Seward.
Take trips to Talkeetna and Denali park to north.
Anchorage it self has amazing bike trails and some fun hiking spots in city limits (eastern part of town is on the Chugach State Park

The fun thing about summer time if we aren't freezing is will have 18-20 hours of daylight so can be disconcerting for some, but means activities going on all through out the day.

Places to eat include
Bear's Tooth and Moose's Tooth restaurants
Orso and Glacier Brewhouse
Yak and Yeti
Snow City Cafe
Humpy's

If over 21 check out Chilkoot Charlie's (huge bar with 7 distinct and separate areas) at least once for the experience.

Those are just some of the first thoughts off top of my head.

katmai

Quote from: Syt on May 08, 2013, 01:47:12 AM

Not a fear as i never invited Toni or Beeb. :P

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on May 08, 2013, 03:12:08 AM
Quote from: Maladict on May 08, 2013, 02:58:28 AM
If it's Roman era stuff you're after I'd take a weekend to see Pompeii or Herculaneum (I'd pick Herculaneum personally) and spend some time in Naples (the archaeological museum is a must and the Greek/Roman Neapolitan bits are mostly underground but accessible too), but stick to Rome and environs the rest of the time. Rome just has so much to offer it'll be a waste to go elsewhere.

Close to Rome, you'd want to visit Ostia, Hadrian's Villa near Tivoli (Tivoli itself is rather nice too) and the Via Appia park (including catacombs). You'll probably need a full day for each. Pick a Sunday for the Via Appia, no cars will be allowed.
More later.
:lol:

How did that happen?  :blush:

Tonitrus

I'd add The Lucky Wishbone to the otherwise fine list of restaurants.

PDH

I'd choose Herculaneum over Anchorage this time of year too.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

merithyn

Wear clean underwear and bring a toothbrush. :)

Definitely do a whale watching boat tour, and some kayaking, if you can.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

I'd stamp my feet and not go.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.