Main Menu

Advice Wanted

Started by Zeus, May 08, 2013, 01:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 09, 2013, 04:56:44 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 09, 2013, 04:53:06 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 09, 2013, 04:46:25 PM
I am pretty sure we have no gun nuts.  The phenomenon of the gun nut and US gun culture is pretty specific to the USA.

Sure, Canada has no gun enthusiasts like Iran has no homosexuals.

Sure we have gun enthusiasts.  But I would hardly characterize Malthus or people like him as a gun nut.  You have people saying they need guns to protect themselves from their government and assert that regulating gun rights is somehow a violation of a fundamental right.  That is a gun nut and you would be hard pressed to find such a person in a civilized country like Canada.

I very much doubt that. No place is free of nutters.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maximus

Yea that's utter BS

Eddie Teach

I wouldn't characterize Malthus as an enthusiast* either. He's just a guy that's been hunting.

*Unless it's a bug enthusiast
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

"Gun nuts" (by which I mean someone to whom the ownership of weapons is more than simply recreational, useful, or for protection, but has some larger symbolic/social meaning - like gun rights being *the* guarantee of personal liberty, or survivalists assuming that a likely distopian future is to need guns to live) may well exist in Canada, but I will say this: if they do, they must be rare. I've never met any.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on May 09, 2013, 05:23:03 PM
"Gun nuts" (by which I mean someone to whom the ownership of weapons is more than simply recreational, useful, or for protection, but has some larger symbolic/social meaning - like gun rights being *the* guarantee of personal liberty, or survivalists assuming that a likely distopian future is to need guns to live) may well exist in Canada, but I will say this: if they do, they must be rare. I've never met any.

You live in a major metropolitan area. Of course you haven't. I've never met one, either. But I guarantee that there are plenty of them west of you, just like there are of me.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on May 09, 2013, 05:27:00 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 09, 2013, 05:23:03 PM

You live in a major metropolitan area. Of course you haven't. I've never met one, either. But I guarantee that there are plenty of them west of you, just like there are of me.

I also have family property in the country, surrounded by real-life country folks.

In fact, bordering our property is property owned by the local Fish and Game Club.

http://www.theorilliafishandgameconservationclub.com/

My dad works closely with these people, all of whom, of course, have guns; I have known many of them all my life. Yet despite knowing many, maybe even dozens, rural gun owners, who belong to what could only be described as a hunter's club, not one is what I would call a "gun nut". Would a rural hunter's club in the US be likely to have some "gun nuts"? I'm inclined to believe, from a certain amount of experience, it is possible.  ;)

Rather, they are more "into" conservation - well, admittedly, so they will have creatures to hunt in the future, but still.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

I think that is an overly specific definition of the term "gun nut". I would just use it to describe anyone that is nuts about guns, including several forum members.  :P Anti-government paranoia may encourage one to become a gun nut, but it is hardly a requirement.

katmai

One word Malthus. Albertans.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

And wtf MiM. Toni lived here for what 3-4 years, while I have been here for going on 20 years.

Eddie Teach

Toni's not Mexirican, so has more clout.

katmai

According to Derspicy neither am I.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on May 09, 2013, 04:58:38 PM
I very much doubt that. No place is free of nutters.

Oh we have nutters too.  People that watch the NHL for example.  But nothing like the nutters you have.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: katmai on May 09, 2013, 06:04:52 PM
According to Derspicy neither am I.

:huh:

Since when did you start listening to him?

crazy canuck

Quote from: katmai on May 09, 2013, 05:58:23 PM
One word Malthus. Albertans.

Naw, Albertans are more like Texans minus the insanity.

katmai

I don't. Just throwing that out there.