First 3-D-printed gun fired, but its digital blueprints make bigger bang

Started by jimmy olsen, May 06, 2013, 07:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

This is pretty disturbing stuff, these people are fucking morons.
But it was pretty inevitable, can't blame them too much.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on May 06, 2013, 08:17:36 PM
Why not be the first to make a 3D dildo or a 3D garden hoe?

Surely you see the difference between using this technology to create a stone-age tool and a modern age tool, right?  :huh:

CountDeMoney

Dildos have been around since the Stone Ages?  Imagine that!

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 06, 2013, 09:08:25 PM
Quote from: Berkut on May 06, 2013, 08:24:37 PM
I think this is more problematic from the plastic part of it than anything else. Like the article pointed out, it's not like this is actually useful from a practical standpoint - if you want a cheap, disposable gun, buying a $10,000 3D printer is probably not the best way to go about getting one.

It is very useful from a practical standpoint at that price if you want to accomplish what you want to accomplish with a cheap, disposable gun made of untraceable, undetectable plastic.

I'm wondering to what extent this is going to throw the airport security checks people out of the loop. Considering that one failed "shoe bomber" attempt made them force us to take our shoes off, I predict the answer is "to a huge extent".

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 07, 2013, 02:09:18 AM
Dildos have been around since the Stone Ages?  Imagine that!

Pretty much. Archeologists are finding them in ancient Egyptian digs.

The Larch

Quote from: Martinus on May 07, 2013, 02:09:52 AM
I think this is more problematic from the plastic part of it than anything else. Like the article pointed out, it's not like this is actually useful from a practical standpoint - if you want a cheap, disposable gun, buying a $10,000 3D printer is probably not the best way to go about getting one.

It is very useful from a practical standpoint at that price if you want to accomplish what you want to accomplish with a cheap, disposable gun made of untraceable, undetectable plastic.

I'm wondering to what extent this is going to throw the airport security checks people out of the loop. Considering that one failed "shoe bomber" attempt made them force us to take our shoes off, I predict the answer is "to a huge extent".

Rather than airports, think about metal detectors in public buildings. Instantly outdated.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on May 06, 2013, 09:12:29 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 06, 2013, 09:03:10 PM
It's a cheap model, but it shows that this technology is evolving rapidly. Within 5 years, everyone with a computer will have a 3D printer.

Because everyone knows we need more plastic crap.
Yes we do.  Needs are unlimited, remember?  That includes frivolous and unuseful things too.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

derspiess

Quote from: The Larch on May 07, 2013, 05:41:09 AM

Rather than airports, think about metal detectors in public buildings. Instantly outdated.

Ammunition is still made out of metal.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on May 07, 2013, 10:57:40 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 07, 2013, 05:41:09 AM

Ammunition is still made out of metal.

Does it have to be? Could one make a hard plastic bullet in a plastic tube filled with propellent?

If one is going through all the trouble of making a plastic gun, why not make plastic ammo to go with it?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on May 07, 2013, 11:04:58 AM
Does it have to be? Could one make a hard plastic bullet in a plastic tube filled with propellent?

If one is going through all the trouble of making a plastic gun, why not make plastic ammo to go with it?

I'm sure you could.  But I'd imagine you'd have to use so little powder that the round might not be lethal-- especially with a plastic projectile.

Razgovory

:lol: Derspeiss is now worried that the government is going to start take away a new type of gun that only one person in the country has!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on May 07, 2013, 11:14:28 AM

I'm sure you could.  But I'd imagine you'd have to use so little powder that the round might not be lethal-- especially with a plastic projectile.

Not sure I understand. Why would you have to use only a small amount of powder (or whatever it is they put in cartridges these days?)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on May 07, 2013, 11:19:28 AM
Quote from: derspiess on May 07, 2013, 11:14:28 AM

Not sure I understand. Why would you have to use only a small amount of powder (or whatever it is they put in cartridges these days?)

Because a plastic case, chamber, and barrel are not going to be able to handle the pressure of a full load.  It would probably just explode in your hand.