News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What Is The Social Utility Of Your Job ?

Started by mongers, May 02, 2013, 08:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on May 03, 2013, 01:53:19 AM
I earn about twice the Hungarian average, which means that my monthly tax payments roughly equal the net average monthly income.
That's some respectable social utility right there.
Actually, paying taxes doesn't bring about any social utility, they're just transfer payments, until you consider second-order effects.

katmai

Quote from: fahdiz on May 03, 2013, 11:08:18 AM
Yep. Unfortunately, the rule of law + democracy kinda necessitates lawyers.

Don't be an enabler Fhdz!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on May 03, 2013, 01:42:37 PM
I earn about twice the Hungarian average, which means that my monthly tax payments roughly equal the net average monthly income.
Actually, paying taxes doesn't bring about any social utility, they're just transfer payments, until you consider second-order effects.

Why wouldnt you consider such efffects?

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2013, 05:26:17 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 03, 2013, 01:42:37 PM

Why wouldnt you consider such efffects?
Because they're complicated, and arguably zero-sum in any case.  Someone was going to pay those taxes anyway, and if the government is remotely functioning, it would make sure that the sum total of those taxes would be the same regardless of how the load is distributed.

Neil

Quote from: fahdiz on May 03, 2013, 11:08:18 AM
Yep. Unfortunately, the rule of law + democracy kinda necessitates lawyers.
Which is why the rule of law must be eliminated.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Iormlund

HVC

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 03, 2013, 07:20:05 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 02, 2013, 09:02:39 PM
Quote from: katmai on May 02, 2013, 08:59:06 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 02, 2013, 08:55:29 PM
Also, that bald eagle is probably Canadian, FYI :D

:huh:
aren't the bald eagle numbers in America plummeting? Or am I misremembering?
The population has exploded in the last 20 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bald_Eagle#Population_decline_and_recovery
terrorist eagles? Al queda has truly won.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Caliga

You know what there's a ridiculous number of around here now?  Canadian geese.  GET THE FUCK OOT OF HERE EH :mad:

Seriously, I hate the damn things.  They're dumb so they constantly walk in front of and get hit by cars, and also extremely aggressive to the point that they will attack people if you get to close to them.  I've never had that happen to be but there are a bunch that live outside my office building and they will spread their wings and hiss if you get within even 10 feet of them.  Also IIRC they caused that one jet to crash into the Hudson River a few years back.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on May 06, 2013, 12:56:06 PM
Seriously, I hate the damn things.  They're dumb so they constantly walk in front of and get hit by cars, and also extremely aggressive to the point that they will attack people if you get to close to them.  I've never had that happen to be but there are a bunch that live outside my office building and they will spread their wings and hiss if you get within even 10 feet of them.  Also IIRC they caused that one jet to crash into the Hudson River a few years back.

Like other Canadians they went south believing things would be as good or better than back home. Once they arrived they learned the error of their ways.  One cannot blame them for being a bit upset at having made such a poor decision.

Caliga

Why would a Canadian move to the US?  I thought Canada was a perfect utopia. :hmm:  Maybe the geese wanted to own firearms and pay lower taxes. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on May 06, 2013, 01:09:20 PM
Why would a Canadian move to the US?  I thought Canada was a perfect utopia. :hmm:  Maybe the geese wanted to own firearms and pay lower taxes. :)

Everyone makes mistakes.

Iormlund

Quote from: Caliga on May 06, 2013, 12:56:06 PMAlso IIRC they caused that one jet to crash into the Hudson River a few years back.

Yeah but how awesome was that?

Barrister

Quote from: Iormlund on May 06, 2013, 01:40:38 PM
Quote from: Caliga on May 06, 2013, 12:56:06 PMAlso IIRC they caused that one jet to crash into the Hudson River a few years back.

Yeah but how awesome was that?

But a Canada goose lost it's life that day - it was far from awesome. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.