News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What Is The Social Utility Of Your Job ?

Started by mongers, May 02, 2013, 08:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Octavian

I help make sure bureaucracy remains strong in government so politicians won't fuck things up to much.
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Zanza

My job doesn't have social utility besides the fact that it allows me to pay tax and social security.
I don't think any of my leisure time activities has any social value either.

:Embarrass:

Brazen

Disseminating new and exciting ways to kill people.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on May 03, 2013, 02:35:13 AM
Quote from: Tamas on May 03, 2013, 01:53:19 AM
I earn about twice the Hungarian average, which means that my monthly tax payments roughly equal the net average monthly income.
That's some respectable social utility right there.

Is this a math test question to figure out what's your tax rate is?

I get 16% income tax, 10% pension fund, around 8% of healthcare IIRC, and my employer pays 24% worth of my pre-tax salary to the pension fund.  Opps sorry, there is no more pension fund, everything goes straight to the general budget.
So more than 50% of what I cost my employer goes to the budget.

Grey Fox

Making sure your brand new 60 inches TV actually has a flat panel, amongst other things.

Also weapons.

Also pictures from Mars.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

I help sick people get medical insurance. :)

In my non-employment life, I help facilitate the learning of history through doing.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

I work for a Medical Health Care corp in the IT dept which supports a lot medical systems large and small, most importantly the patient care systems used by the medical staff in the hospitals, doctor's offices and clinics. My part is mostly for the financial staff.

sbr

My job keeps me and my kids out from under a bridge and off welfare.

I occasionally do some pro bono work for the hospital, but its not intentional, my boss just doesn't know how to bid jobs.

derspiess

I help people access and use their money.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

The social utility of my job is almost infinite, as is that of most lawyers.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Maximus

Quote from: Malthus on May 03, 2013, 10:11:09 AM
The social utility of my job is almost infinite, as is that of most lawyers.  ;)
You misspelled infinitesimal.

Malthus

Quote from: Maximus on May 03, 2013, 10:39:52 AM
Quote from: Malthus on May 03, 2013, 10:11:09 AM
You misspelled infinitesimal.

Could you imagine a world without lawyers?!? [/Simpsons]  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Maximus

Quote from: Malthus on May 03, 2013, 10:41:19 AM
Could you imagine a world without lawyers?!? [/Simpsons]  ;)
If the number of lawyers was reduced to a reasonable level (say, 5) then presumably the social utility of the individual lawyer would increase.