News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Republicans: Tea-Party and not Tea Party

Started by Jacob, April 30, 2013, 06:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

... an academic paper on the subject:

Quote from: abstractIn this paper we examine Republican Party factional differences between Tea Party Republicans and non-Tea Party Republicans. We find, first, that at the mass level Tea Party supporters constitute a majority of Republican identifiers--particularly among those most active in Republican campaigns. We examine the large and significant differences between the two factions. We then turn to an examination of Tea Party (potential) activists, relying on a survey of almost 12,000 supporters of the largest Tea Party membership group: FreedomWorks. Although very similar to the mass sample of Tea Party Republicans on issue positions, this group is far more negative towards the Republican Party. We examine the sources of this negativity in ideology, issue priorities, partisanship and political style.

Quote from: ConclusionUtilizing both a national sample, over-representing Tea Party supporters, and a large sample of potential Tea Party activists, we have assessed the seriousness of divisions within the Republican Party, and attitudes of potential Tea Party activists towards the Republican Party and the Tea Party. Our findings suggest that the current attempt of the Republican Party to moderate, and even, in some cases, shed Tea party supporters is problematic.

We find that issues, ideology, issue priorities, and political style considerations differentiate Tea Party Republicans from non-Tea Party Republicans. The Tea Party supporters are not just a faction within the Republican Party: they are a majority faction within the party, particularly among active Republicans. The divide between the two groups of Republicans is so wide that on four of eleven issues, the non-Tea Party Republicans were actually closer to the mean of the Democratic identifiers in the sample than they were to the Tea Party Republicans. Bridging this gap will present a challenge for the party, particularly for leaders more in sympathy with the non-Tea Party group and those most committed to expanding the base of the Republican Party.

The activist FreedomWorks sample shows a general lack of positive feeling towards the Republican Party. That more rate the Republican Party below average than above average is problematic for the party, and is reinforced by almost a quarter of the sample who choose "other" as their party and are particularly negative towards the Republican Party. This negativity is dwarfed by their antipathy towards the Democrats. But, in primary campaigns between establishment and Tea Party Republicans, there are no Democrats, and appeals to pragmatism appear likely to fail (particularly given the lack of willingness to compromise on issues about which they feel strongly). The success of groups like Karl Rove's committed to a more pragmatic brand of Republicanism is very much in question.

Finally, we found significant effects of partisanship, ideology, issue priorities, party style and demographics in explaining Tea Party-Republican Party preference. Once again the conservatism, issue priorities and concerns about compromise explain the Tea Party preference over the Republicans. Only partisanship gives the Republican Party leverage over the Tea Party. How this will play out in the next two years is an open question, but it is likely that the Tea Party will continue to be a major, often dominant, force within the Republican Party.

40+ page document here: http://wmpeople.wm.edu/asset/index/rbrapo/republicanfactionalismandteapartyactivists

Languish thoughts?

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

mongers

Trying to understand nutters, an exercise in futility ?    :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Quote...it is likely that the Tea Party will continue to be a major, often dominant, force within the Republican Party.

And thus it is likely that there will be no Republican President for years to come?

OttoVonBismarck

OvB Republican:

Respectable but Wrong Flavors of Republican:

Bad Republican:

Tea Party:

garbon

I don't understand. Didn't the Tea Party get smacked down in the last election? If they are the dominant type of Republican, why didn't more Tea Party candidates get elected / stick around?  Or is the notion that Dems outnumber the Tea Party repubs in key places so it doesn't matter?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

fahdiz Republican:

Highly Respectable and Not Too Far Off Flavor of Republican:

Not Really Interested In Most of the Other Flavors.

and the horse you rode in on

OttoVonBismarck

Please, Teddy is above all partisan comparison as the First God-King in the American Pantheon. Barry Goldwater is a loser, he doesn't even get to lick Nixon's left nut.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 30, 2013, 06:19:04 PM
Tea Party:

As far as Republicans go, those two don't have all that much in common.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, and Marco Rubio are better Tea Party examples.

And I'm a Reagan Republican.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: fahdiz on April 30, 2013, 07:18:43 PM
fahdiz Republican:

Highly Respectable and Not Too Far Off Flavor of Republican:

Not Really Interested In Most of the Other Flavors.

:blink:

No love for Ike ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Neil

Proper Republican:

<-------

Bush 41 was pretty good too.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Somebody tell Hansy I want my old party back.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on April 30, 2013, 06:47:44 PM
I don't understand. Didn't the Tea Party get smacked down in the last election? If they are the dominant type of Republican, why didn't more Tea Party candidates get elected / stick around?  Or is the notion that Dems outnumber the Tea Party repubs in key places so it doesn't matter?

My impression is that the authors of the study overegged the pudding of Tea Party dominance.