And we're back!

Main Menu

Republicans: Tea-Party and not Tea Party

Started by Jacob, April 30, 2013, 06:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

I think the Tea Party movement is going to remain as a caucus within the GOP-- sort of a mirror image of the Democrats' Congressional Progressive Caucus, except with a lot more media coverage for the time being. 

Previously I thought it would either take over the GOP entirely or fizzle out and die, but now I think neither will happen.

It will probably be more influential/successful in the 2014 elections than it was in 2012, but may never match the impact it had in 2010.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2013, 09:22:57 AM
I think the Tea Party movement is going to remain as a caucus within the GOP-- sort of a mirror image of the Democrats' Congressional Progressive Caucus, except with a lot more media coverage for the time being. 

Previously I thought it would either take over the GOP entirely or fizzle out and die, but now I think neither will happen.

It will probably be more influential/successful in the 2014 elections than it was in 2012, but may never match the impact it had in 2010.
Yeah, I think the Tea Party looks like it will remain a part of the Republican party same as the Repubs and Dems already have  various groupings within their parties. I'd predict that the Tea Party will change and conform, shedding at least some of what doesn't work with voters.

Berkut

I think if it reformed enough to "work with voters" it won't look much like the Tea Party in any meaningful way.

I think that is the basic problem with the Tea Party - the Norquistians are all insane, and they've taken it over. It is their insanity that makes it interesting to that critical mass, but it is that same embrace of stupid that makes it repellent to everyone else.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on May 02, 2013, 10:17:41 AM
I think if it reformed enough to "work with voters" it won't look much like the Tea Party in any meaningful way.

I think that is the basic problem with the Tea Party - the Norquistians are all insane, and they've taken it over. It is their insanity that makes it interesting to that critical mass, but it is that same embrace of stupid that makes it repellent to everyone else.

I think Norquist's influence peaked in 2010-11.  He doesn't seem as influential now.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

fhdz

Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2013, 10:31:19 AM

I think Norquist's influence peaked in 2010-11.  He doesn't seem as influential now.

No, they've moved on a bit to jizz on Paul Ryan's mathematically broken austerity budget instead.
and the horse you rode in on

Kleves

Obama should embrace austerity, because then the Republicans will be forced to change their position to something sensible.  :hmm:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

MadImmortalMan

He has. Here's this from yesterday's FOMC statement.

Quote from: FOMC
Release Date: May 1, 2013
For immediate release

Information received since the Federal Open Market Committee met in March suggests that economic activity has been expanding at a moderate pace. Labor market conditions have shown some improvement in recent months, on balance, but the unemployment rate remains elevated. Household spending and business fixed investment advanced, and the housing sector has strengthened further, but fiscal policy is restraining economic growth. Inflation has been running somewhat below the Committee's longer-run objective, apart from temporary variations that largely reflect fluctuations in energy prices. Longer-term inflation expectations have remained stable.

Those six words cost us about 80 points on the dow yesterday.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Does that mean they will be raising taxes now?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2013, 11:45:26 AM

Does that mean they will be raising taxes now?

Not necessarily.  But many who signed the 2010 no tax increase pledge backed off last year.

Razgovory

But they won't be raising taxes.  So I'd say his influence is still pretty strong.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

MadImmortalMan

Even if they didn't, the taxes still got raised. They didn't have the ability to stop it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2013, 11:49:32 AM
But they won't be raising taxes.  So I'd say his influence is still pretty strong.

It's not as if he's the only anti-tax Republican out there.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2013, 01:36:16 PM

Ah, so they'll do what he says, but not only because he says it.  There are other demagogues who hold them hostage that should be taken into account.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2013, 02:15:46 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2013, 01:36:16 PM

Ah, so they'll do what he says, but not only because he says it.  There are other demagogues who hold them hostage that should be taken into account.

Or maybe the party just has a tradition of advocating lower taxes.