Israel Says It Has Proof That Syria Has Used Chemical Weapons

Started by jimmy olsen, April 24, 2013, 02:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: derspiess on April 26, 2013, 11:07:23 AM
Quote from: Viking on April 26, 2013, 10:52:39 AM
Yes. I think we should give weapons, training and intelligence to anybody fighting against our enemies and we should bomb our enemies. Assad and The Nusra Front are definitively our enemies. I say screw the pottery barn rule. If any faction in Syria wants any kind of surviving society, government and military they need do their very best to satisfy us that they are good guys.

That could lead to bombing pretty much everybody.  How do we single out al-Nusra from their allies and attack only them?

I say let the fire burn itself out.

I say attack anybody allied to al-Nusra as a matter of principle.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

derspiess

Quote from: Viking on April 26, 2013, 11:22:11 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 26, 2013, 11:07:23 AM
Quote from: Viking on April 26, 2013, 10:52:39 AM
Yes. I think we should give weapons, training and intelligence to anybody fighting against our enemies and we should bomb our enemies. Assad and The Nusra Front are definitively our enemies. I say screw the pottery barn rule. If any faction in Syria wants any kind of surviving society, government and military they need do their very best to satisfy us that they are good guys.

That could lead to bombing pretty much everybody.  How do we single out al-Nusra from their allies and attack only them?

I say let the fire burn itself out.

I say attack anybody allied to al-Nusra as a matter of principle.

So then you would attack everyone involved :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

Quote from: derspiess on April 26, 2013, 11:24:44 AM

So then you would attack everyone involved :lol:

Yes, any anti-Assad group which doesn't immediately stab nusra in the back and any pro-Assad group that doesn't immediately stab assad in the back.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Warspite

If you want to intervene in Syria, intervene. That's fine. But don't make it another Iraq.

What is not needed is another distortion of intelligence in justifications for war. That's partly what the reticence over declaring the red line crossed is about.

We don't even need a CW red line to be crossed. Assad has demonstrated, like other before him, that bullets and artillery are as cruel a means as any other of butchering one's own population.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on April 26, 2013, 10:01:13 AM
So what action do you think we should take based upon this evidence? 

Exactly the action that is being taken as per the story

QuoteOr do you need to hear an Obama statement on the subject before you can answer?  :P

I guess we'll never know b/c he already made it.    :D
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Viking

Quote from: Warspite on April 26, 2013, 11:44:14 AM
If you want to intervene in Syria, intervene. That's fine. But don't make it another Iraq.

What is not needed is another distortion of intelligence in justifications for war. That's partly what the reticence over declaring the red line crossed is about.

We don't even need a CW red line to be crossed. Assad has demonstrated, like other before him, that bullets and artillery are as cruel a means as any other of butchering one's own population.

CW are pretty useless against trained troops or untrained troops in open terrain. I agree about the intelligence. If we had no intention of doing anything if the red lines were crossed then whoever drew them was criminally irresponsible. However, those lines were drawn. That means this isn't actually about the CW, it is about the deterrence values of red lines.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Warspite on April 26, 2013, 11:44:14 AM

That's true but . . .
The problem in Iraq was the politicization of the intel gathering  and interpretation process as manifested in pressure to fit the evidence to the desired conclusions.  That is obviously not a good thing but I don't see any reason to conclude that is what is happening here.  If anything the Obama administration appears to be biased towards non-intervention and accordingly is treating the evidence with caution.

The problem with Iraq was NOT that a decision was made based on incomplete or not entirely conclusive evidence.  Decisions often have to made on imperfect evidence.  And a decision not to act is just as much a decision as a decision to act.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Obama has the political advantage that his own constituency is not all concerned about the credibility of threats.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 26, 2013, 04:51:26 PM
Obama has the political advantage that his own constituency is not all concerned about the credibility of threats.

That's probably fair.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: Warspite on April 25, 2013, 04:07:00 AM
So while the Israeli statement is still vague, it is apparently backed up by other sources -- and it's not like the UK, France and Israel have ever collaborated secretly on Middle Eastern adventures.

I assume that this was meant sarcastically, no?

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on April 26, 2013, 10:25:37 AM
Do you think we should intervene militarily in Syria?
If chemical weapons are being used, yes. Probably through military aid to the rebels, maybe the creation of some no-fly/safe zones for civilians and maybe target the weapons or their delivery method and remove that capability from the regime.

Having said that the US and UK governments have said they're not quite happy with the intelligence they're getting. I think it's right to wait for that higher level of confirmation before intervening.

QuoteWon't Obama have to do something if it turns out chemical weapons were used, if only for domestic political reasons?
No. Which domestic constituency will give a shit? The neo-cons have been pushing for more action on Syria for years, I can't see anyone else being swayed.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 26, 2013, 04:51:26 PM

Question:  What threats?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on April 26, 2013, 10:39:16 AM
Quote from: Viking on April 26, 2013, 09:38:12 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 26, 2013, 09:27:35 AM
"chain of custody"?  This is foreign policy, not a criminal prosecution.  Proof beyond a reasonable doubt is too high a standard, and I would not be inclined to presume Assad "innocent"

The standard of proof isn't an absolute thing here. The standard of proof you use is based on if you were bluffing or not when you drew the red line.

My read of the situation is that the US has no intention of boots-on-the-ground in Syria at this time, as long as they stick to killing each other and don't stray beyond their borders. It would not matter if Assad personally send Obama a signed affidavit confessing to using Sarin pinned to a Syrian orphan dead of Sarin poisioning.
Military intervention in this situation has never included boots on the ground, so I don't see your point. That doesn't mean he won't bomb the hell out of Assad if pressed.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 26, 2013, 07:07:14 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 26, 2013, 07:05:24 PM
Question:  What threats?

"Red line."

Ah okay.  Well it is vague.  Personally I see no advantage in intervening.  I like Assad better then his enemies.  If the war went on for another 10 years, that would be fine.  Of course, I didn't see much advantage in the Libya thing, and that worked out better then I expected.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017