News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do you like Led Zeppelin and/or Pink Floyd?

Started by Caliga, April 22, 2013, 04:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you like Led Zeppelin and/or Pink Floyd?

Both
33 (68.8%)
Led Zeppelin only
5 (10.4%)
Pink Floyd only
4 (8.3%)
Neither
5 (10.4%)
Led Jaron
1 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 48

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Caliga on April 23, 2013, 09:16:48 AM
:glare: "Starship Trooper", "Wonderous Stories", "Long Distance Runaround", "I've Seen All Good People", "Owner Of A Lonely Heart"...

While Yes is generally prog, I don't consider "Owner of a Lonely Heart" prog- 90125 and Big Generator were more arena rock than anything else.

Also, :angry: at Josephus for dissing The Division Bell.  Hands down my favorite Floyd album, Wish You Were Here and Animals tied for second.
Experience bij!

Caliga

I agree that Owner of a Lonely Heart is atypical for Yes, but it's still a good song.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josephus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 23, 2013, 12:11:38 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 23, 2013, 09:16:48 AM
:glare: "Starship Trooper", "Wonderous Stories", "Long Distance Runaround", "I've Seen All Good People", "Owner Of A Lonely Heart"...

While Yes is generally prog, I don't consider "Owner of a Lonely Heart" prog- 90125 and Big Generator were more arena rock than anything else.

Also, :angry: at Josephus for dissing The Division Bell.  Hands down my favorite Floyd album, Wish You Were Here and Animals tied for second.

I like Division Bell, don't get me wrong. But I don't think it's part of an essential Floyd catalogue. Your other two choices, though, certainly are.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Pedrito on April 23, 2013, 07:44:19 AM
While there's no doubt that Zep are rock-blues, I won't classify PF as "prog". They're a league on their own.

Prog is Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, ELP, some of the most boring music ever created.

L.

Dude, prog is a much wider genre than that. It does include a bunch of rock-bluesy bands like LZ, and also Pink Floyd, Queensryche and Tool.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Drakken

Quote from: fahdiz on April 23, 2013, 10:47:16 AM
The Wall got me through the entirety of high school.

The Wall is a Roger Waters album in all but name.

There's a legal reason only Waters, and not Gilmour-led PF, still perform The Wall. Gilmour only plays Comfortably Numb and Run Like Hell in shows because these are the only ones that he has writing rights on. Gilmour revealed that The Wall is one of the PF albums that he finds the least interesting, because it was all Waters raging-on.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Define like.
I certainly won't complain about either of them, they have some awesome stuff, but they're not who I normally listen to.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: Josephus on April 23, 2013, 07:46:16 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 22, 2013, 10:01:41 PM
Both, but Floyd vastly more.  I've only a passing interest in Zeppelin, but I'm a pretty huge Floyd fan.  It's a shame my discography didn't survive my old computer; all I've got left is Division Bell.  Perhaps that will be sufficient. :(

I will say that The Wall got me through a really tough day once.

No, the Division Bell is certainly not sufficient.

Agreed, though it is my favorite Floyd album, with The Wall following closely behind (though my favorite song/bit from The Wall isn't even on the album proper, it's on the demos and the film version--"What Shall We Do Now" gets left off, but "Young Lust" gets kept on, whatever, dude).  Third is probably Animals or Wish You Were Here, but may actually be Final Cut, which I think is weirder than Division Bell as a favorite. -_-
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

If I had to chose bewtweeen  the two, I'd pic Led Zeppelin! :punk:

Ramble ON! :punk:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josephus

speaking of prog...new prog. Went to see Steven Wilson last night. Prog lovers you should really check this guy out.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Josephus on April 24, 2013, 08:55:06 AM
speaking of prog...new prog. Went to see Steven Wilson last night. Prog lovers you should really check this guy out.

Did quick wiki, he was born in 67 and has been making music since the 80s.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Dude, for progressive rock that is new.  I love the genre but let's face it, it's old guy music. :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josephus

At the show last night, there were a lot of 20-something hipsters.  some cute chicks too.

And while Steve Wilson has been making music since the 80s, he's only really started making a name since the mid-90s. He's now also the go-to guy for remixing all the old classic proggie albums.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Caliga on April 23, 2013, 12:17:34 PM
I agree that Owner of a Lonely Heart is atypical for Yes, but it's still a good song.

:yes: Agreed.  Honestly, 90125 is just excellent for what it is.  "Changes" is pretty badass, too.
Experience bij!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on April 24, 2013, 09:35:53 AM
Dude, for progressive rock that is new.  I love the genre but let's face it, it's old guy music. :blush:

I dont know about that.  Seems to me there is a whole new wave (no pun intended) of bands out there with the same sound and they are very popular with my boys and their peers.  Its a bit wierd for me to hear them having Dub Step and this stuff in the same mix but they seem to like it.