News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Another Terrorist Plot - Nipped in Bud

Started by Malthus, April 22, 2013, 03:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

At least, according to this article. Two arrested (one in Toronto, one in Montreal) in plot to derail passanger train (VIA Rail).

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/montreal/Terror+plot+foiled+arrests+Quebec+Ontario/8277860/story.html

OTTAWA — Canadian police and intelligence agencies have made two arrests in connection with a planned major terrorist attack to derail a Via Rail passenger train in the Greater Toronto Area. Two suspects are in custody, one arrested in Toronto and one in Montreal, following an RCMP counter-terrorism investigation.

At an afternoon news conference, the RCMP named the suspects as Chiheb Esseghaier, 30, and Raed Jaser, 35, neither of whom are Canadian citizens, and said they were linked to al-Qaeda.

RCMP Assistant Commissioner James Malizia said that while the suspects had the capacity and intent to carry out an attack, there was no imminent threat to the general public, rail employees, train passengers or infrastructure.

"Charges include conspiring to carry out an attack against, and conspiring to murder persons unknown for the benefit of, at the direction of, or in association with a terrorist group," reads the RCMP's statement.

CBC News reported Monday the alleged plotters were reportedly under surveillance in Quebec and southern Ontario for more than a year.

The investigation that led to the arrests stemmed from a co-operative effort involving law enforcement agencies in Canada, the FBI and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, which collaborated in what the RCMP called Project SMOOTH.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Malthus

Hey, according to the article, you Yanks get some of the credit.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

fhdz

Quote from: Malthus on April 22, 2013, 04:06:00 PM
Hey, according to the article, you Yanks get some of the credit.  ;)

We're friends. Friends help friends! :hug:

Caliga

Given the title this should have somehow been about the Japanese and/or marijuana. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on April 22, 2013, 04:09:33 PM
Given the title this should have somehow been about the Japanese and/or marijuana. :(

How about "Terrorist Plot Derailed"?  ;)

fhdz

"Tellolist prot delaired".

Well, now I'm going to hell for sure.

crazy canuck

I can hardly wait until Trudeau tells us we have to understand the root causes of why these people felt marginalized.

Caliga

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 22, 2013, 04:32:56 PM
I can hardly wait until Trudeau tells us we have to understand the root causes of why these people felt marginalized.
Bush's fault
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Interesting. Apparently al-Qaeda guidance from 'elements in Iran'.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

From what I've heard seems like one of those weird stings where undercover cops go "you should so blew up that train" and when the suspects agree they're arrested.

In any regards at least a potential thread is off the street. Go Canada.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Quote from: Caliga on April 22, 2013, 04:33:39 PM
Bush's fault

Actually I blame Thatcher. She's to blame for everything...remember? :secret:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Apparently Parliament Square's closed because of a suspect package. Probably nothing, I wouldn't have posted a new thread for it but it seems to fit in here.
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Apparently, one of 'em was working on a PhD.

He must have checked out the post-academic job market.  :hmm:

Malthus

Interestingly, they are posting in the news that these guys came on the police radar because an Imam reported them to the cops as lunatic radicals.