Chechnya Is Not Czech Republic, Twitter Reminds Itself (TWEETS)

Started by Martinus, April 20, 2013, 07:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on April 20, 2013, 10:27:17 PM
They could have had them on their knuckles, but it still didn't actually make them Circassian.  Incidentally the idea that Circassians were noticeably beautiful informed the idea of a Caucasian race.  Back in the 19th century (I think), white Europeans were called "Caucasian" because some race scientists thought they were the purest example of European beauty.

Really? I thought this was because it was thought that most of the white people migrations originated around Caucasus.

Queequeg

In what time period? It wasn't a refugium during the last glacial maximum.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2013, 11:23:55 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 20, 2013, 08:21:27 PM
Xenophobe doesn't work, but the word "bigot" does.  Use that one instead :)

That one does work because many people use the word bigot to describe a person who believes different groups of people have different group characteristics.  The problem with this usage of bigot, which does work, is that it's meaningless.

Why meaningless?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Because different groups of people do have different characteristics.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 21, 2013, 02:27:06 AM
Because different groups of people do have different characteristics.

I'm not seeing your point here.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on April 21, 2013, 01:36:11 AM
They could have had them on their knuckles, but it still didn't actually make them Circassian.  Incidentally the idea that Circassians were noticeably beautiful informed the idea of a Caucasian race.  Back in the 19th century (I think), white Europeans were called "Caucasian" because some race scientists thought they were the purest example of European beauty.

Really? I thought this was because it was thought that most of the white people migrations originated around Caucasus.

Yes.  That's not mutually exclusive to what I said.  They the most beautiful because they were the most pure, they were the most pure because that's where whites originally came from.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on April 21, 2013, 02:32:43 AM

Yes.  That's not mutually exclusive to what I said.  They the most beautiful because they were the most pure, they were the most pure because that's where whites originally came from.

That sounds a bit circular. Not to mention that people of pure ethnic heritage tend to be uglier than mixed ethnicites.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on April 21, 2013, 02:28:14 AM

My point is that you're trying to apply a pejorative to a simple observation of fact.  A person who observes a number of Scotsmen and comes to the conclusion that there are a lot of red-headed Scotsman is not guilty of a moral failing.  Yet you would have us call that person a bigot.  Thus the way you use the word bigot robs it of all its moral meaning.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 21, 2013, 02:39:52 AM

My point is that you're trying to apply a pejorative to a simple observation of fact.  A person who observes a number of Scotsmen and comes to the conclusion that there are a lot of red-headed Scotsman is not guilty of a moral failing.  Yet you would have us call that person a bigot.  Thus the way you use the word bigot robs it of all its moral meaning.

Of course not. But you have not observed "a number of Scotsmen". You have observed a few red headed people, some of which happened to be Scotsmen and concluded that a lot of Scotsmen are red headed.

That's why rather than calling you a bigot, I called you a fucking retard - which is more appropriate, since you seem to fail to grasp basic principles of logic and statistics.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 21, 2013, 02:39:52 AM

But this isn't about observing some mundane fact, it's singling people out for some persecutor action based on a perceived difference.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on April 21, 2013, 02:39:06 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 21, 2013, 02:32:43 AM

That sounds a bit circular. Not to mention that people of pure ethnic heritage tend to be uglier than mixed ethnicites.

Look, I didn't make it up.  Race scientists weren't the clearest of thinkers.  Besides, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on April 21, 2013, 02:43:59 AM
Of course not. But you have not observed "a number of Scotsmen". You have observed a few red headed people, some of which happened to be Scotsmen and concluded that a lot of Scotsmen are red headed.

That's why rather than calling you a bigot, I called you a fucking retard - which is more appropriate, since you seem to fail to grasp basic principles of logic and statistics.

There are two basic problems with you calling me a retard.  One is that you insult people like breathing.  When you do it all the time, it loses any significance.  It becomes background noise.

The second, more serious problem is that you have amply demonstrated, time and again, that you are one of the stupidest posters on Languish.  For your judgement to carry any weight you would first have to have some credibility.  You have none.

I have not observed a number of redheads and mistakenly concluded they were Scotsmen.  I've observed a number of Muslims killing innocent civilians.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on April 21, 2013, 02:51:16 AM
But this isn't about observing some mundane fact, it's singling people out for some persecutor action based on a perceived difference.

I'm not proposing putting people in jail or fining them for the crime of being Chechen or Muslim.  I'm proposing we evaluate potential risks when assessing immigration and visa applications.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 21, 2013, 03:00:54 AM
The second, more serious problem is that you have amply demonstrated, time and again, that you are one of the stupidest posters on Languish.  For your judgement to carry any weight you would first have to have some credibility.  You have none.

This must be Yi's version of frothing mad. :o
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?