Norwegian girls convert to Islam for Justin Bieber tickets

Started by Syt, April 19, 2013, 02:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on April 19, 2013, 04:01:51 PM
When you do that, you have to take a Muslim name.  His was (and still is to the older in-laws) Omar.  We do give him more than a little shit over it.

I mean my aunt took an African name for no reason so taking a muslim name when converting seems alright.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: Queequeg on April 19, 2013, 04:08:29 PM
"No God but God and Muhammad is his prophet." Allah just means God.
Dude, whatever... I have better things to do than memorize that crazy-ass moon worshipper shit. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Viking on April 19, 2013, 04:06:12 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 19, 2013, 03:56:39 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 19, 2013, 03:43:16 PM
What does it take to become a convert to Islam?
All you have to do is recite that prayer which is like "There is only one God and that God is Allah" three times.  I think it's called the shahadah.   When I was in college a friend and I did that as a joke at a Model UN Conference since we were representing some crappy Muslim country. :)

I think you have to mean it when you say it as well.

Do you? I'm sure there have been lots of converts in history who didn't mean it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on April 19, 2013, 04:13:55 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on April 19, 2013, 04:08:29 PM
"No God but God and Muhammad is his prophet." Allah just means God.
Dude, whatever... I have better things to do than memorize that crazy-ass moon worshipper shit. :sleep:

Hey, you *are* one of those "crazy-ass moon worshippers".

So, get memorizing.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Viking

BTW, it is a comedy stunt by an "late show" style program.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on April 19, 2013, 04:12:40 PM
When you do that, you have to take a Muslim name.  His was (and still is to the older in-laws) Omar.  We do give him more than a little shit over it.

I mean my aunt took an African name for no reason so taking a muslim name when converting seems alright.

The pretending to convert in order to fit in thing was what we gave him shit about.  The "Omar" thing was just the icing on the cake. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

I have a friend who converted to Judaism and changed his last name to Barak. :smoke:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Strix

Quote from: garbon on April 19, 2013, 04:15:18 PM
Quote from: Viking on April 19, 2013, 04:06:12 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 19, 2013, 03:56:39 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 19, 2013, 03:43:16 PM
What does it take to become a convert to Islam?
All you have to do is recite that prayer which is like "There is only one God and that God is Allah" three times.  I think it's called the shahadah.   When I was in college a friend and I did that as a joke at a Model UN Conference since we were representing some crappy Muslim country. :)

I think you have to mean it when you say it as well.

Do you? I'm sure there have been lots of converts in history who didn't mean it.

Yes, a whole lot of Spaniards from 711 until 1614 or so.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Valmy

When you do that, you have to take a Muslim name.

Holy crap.  So much for it being easy.  Changing your name sounds like a pain in the ass.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Strix

Quote from: Valmy on April 19, 2013, 05:05:08 PM

Holy crap.  So much for it being easy.  Changing your name sounds like a pain in the ass.

I wonder how "practically French" would translate.  :D
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Maximus

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Camerus

I took a Chinese name over here, since I often need one.  It's mostly just for communication purposes since most people understand no English and can't do English names.  And no, the name's not Xiacob.   :P

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on April 19, 2013, 05:05:08 PM

You don't have to legally change your name AFAIK.  In my buddy's case, only his wife's dad & grandfather call him Omar.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Capetan Mihali

My best buddy in college, Mark (a Scandi-Am. raised Catholic in Kalona, IA, Amish-quilting capital west of the Mississip, I gather), became Jibril upon getting with and marrying a Bengali Muslim gal.

But he gradually ended up taking the shit super seriously (tried to make our gay redneck Floridian pals stop playing Patsy Cline in the apartment cause he couldn't listen to woman singers  :wacko:), and we fell out of touch over the years.  :sleep:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)