U.S. Boy Scouts set to end ban on gay members

Started by garbon, April 19, 2013, 10:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: merithyn on April 19, 2013, 01:32:51 PM
Cal, you were a boy scout, weren't you? Eagle Scout, iirc. So answer this question for me:

1.) BSA said that gays were not allowed in the BSA because they're a Christian organization.
2.) There are Christians who do not believe that being gay is a sin.
3.) BSA isn't affiliated with a particular Christian church.

Am I correct on all of the above?

If I am, why haven't the Christians who have no issue with homosexuality stepped up and said so?

This is the part that gets me. I know a lot of Christians who say things like, "Well, I'm not one of those kinds of Christians. I believe in equal rights for everyone. I'm not a fundy nutjob." And yet, you never hear those people, in a Christian organization, saying, "How about we represent all Christians and not just you fundy nutjobs?"
I was a Boy Scout, yes, but I never reached the rank of Eagle, no.

1.  I don't think the Boy Scouts claim to be a Christian organization.  There are Jewish Boy Scouts, Muslim Boy Scouts, Hindu Boy Scouts, etc.  However, the BSA does require all of its members to be religious and 'reverent'.

2.  Correct.

3.  Correct.  HOWEVER, the BSA has a very prominent association with the Mormons, in that pretty much all Mormon boys are expected to be in the Scouts, and the LDS is I believe a major donor to the BSA.  When I was at Philmont there were literally hundreds of Mormon troops there at the same time.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on April 19, 2013, 02:21:19 PM
So gays are already allowed into the army and boyscouts? What's next? The KKK and neonazis?

It's laughable how we want to be a part of those patriarchal (para)military circle-jerks.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

So gays are already allowed into the army and boyscouts? What's next? The KKK and neonazis?

It's laughable how we want to be a part of those patriarchal (para)military circle-jerks.

plus you should fit in with the circle-jerks quite well.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Martinus

Quote from: 11B4V on April 19, 2013, 02:35:36 PM

plus you should fit in with the circle-jerks quite well.

Yeah, but only if that's part of roleplaying.

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on April 19, 2013, 02:27:29 PM
I was a Boy Scout, yes, but I never reached the rank of Eagle, no.

1.  I don't think the Boy Scouts claim to be a Christian organization.  There are Jewish Boy Scouts, Muslim Boy Scouts, Hindu Boy Scouts, etc.  However, the BSA does require all of its members to be religious and 'reverent'.

2.  Correct.

3.  Correct.  HOWEVER, the BSA has a very prominent association with the Mormons, in that pretty much all Mormon boys are expected to be in the Scouts, and the LDS is I believe a major donor to the BSA.  When I was at Philmont there were literally hundreds of Mormon troops there at the same time.

Ah, okay. So they're really non-denominational, but really, really, they're Mormon. Got it.

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Caliga

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the BSA is Mormon or even controlled by the Mormons, but the Mormons do wield tremendous influence, both through sheer number of members and donations, so I have no doubt that's why the BSA has been so reluctant to flex on the "we hate gays" issue.

garbon

http://www.standard.net/stories/2013/04/19/lds-church-review-boy-scout-plan-lift-gay-ban

QuoteMormon church leaders say they will carefully review the Boy Scouts of America's new proposal on the organization's long-standing ban on gays before it takes a position.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints spokesman Michael Purdy said Friday they are looking closely at the language in the proposal and studying the implications.

The Scouts announced Friday that the proposal would be submitted at its national meeting in Texas the week of May 20.

Figures from the Boy Scouts of America show there are more Mormon Boy Scouts nationally than any other religious denomination. In the Boy Scouts' Great Salt Lake Council, 99 percent of the troops are sponsored by the Mormon church.

The LDS church teaches its members that marriage is only between a man and a woman and that same-sex relationships are sinful.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on April 19, 2013, 03:44:30 PM
http://www.standard.net/stories/2013/04/19/lds-church-review-boy-scout-plan-lift-gay-ban

QuoteMormon church leaders say they will carefully review the Boy Scouts of America's new proposal on the organization's long-standing ban on gays before it takes a position.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints spokesman Michael Purdy said Friday they are looking closely at the language in the proposal and studying the implications.

The Scouts announced Friday that the proposal would be submitted at its national meeting in Texas the week of May 20.

Figures from the Boy Scouts of America show there are more Mormon Boy Scouts nationally than any other religious denomination. In the Boy Scouts' Great Salt Lake Council, 99 percent of the troops are sponsored by the Mormon church.

The LDS church teaches its members that marriage is only between a man and a woman and that same-sex relationships are sinful.

Sounds awfully Mormon to me.

garbon

Btw, I did read that the LDS was one of the few church groups not present during supreme court sessions. All the other groups were out in defense of keeping marriage between a man and a woman.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

@Meri I don't think we are disagreeing with each other on that. :sleep:

But the BSA definitely is not controlled by the LDS Church in any formal sense and you certainly don't have to be a Mormon to belong.  My troop was sponsored by the United Methodist Church, for example, and there was a synagogue near me that sponsored a Jewish troop.

citizen k

Quote from: merithyn on April 19, 2013, 03:55:48 PM

You didn't read the links I posted at all, did you?

merithyn

Quote from: citizen k on April 19, 2013, 05:32:27 PM
Quote from: merithyn on April 19, 2013, 03:55:48 PM

You didn't read the links I posted at all, did you?

Yes, I did. :)

But just because they have all of these other lovely badges, if the rules are de facto Mormon (because they run the damn organization), they don't really mean much, do they? I mean, based on Cal's answer, any religion is fine so long as the boy is faithful. Except that I'm fairly sure they don't mean that because there are a number of those churches that have no problem with homosexuality and gay marriage, ie Episcopalian.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on April 19, 2013, 02:27:29 PM
in that pretty much all Mormon boys are expected to be in the Scouts

No shit.  Did not know that.

Caliga

Why do you think Mormons are so good at tying knots? :)

Admiral Yi