Gay poll for straight people: your politics and aesthetics

Started by Martinus, April 18, 2013, 02:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

For straight people: How do you feel about gay stuff?

I support gay marriage and I do not feel disgusted when I see two guys kissing
15 (40.5%)
I support gay marriage and I feel disgusted when I see two guys kissing
14 (37.8%)
I do not support gay marriage and I do not feel disgusted when I see two guys kissing
1 (2.7%)
I do not support gay marriage and I feel disgusted when I see two guys kissing
4 (10.8%)
Other
3 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Martinus

Be honest.

This is partially inspired by garbon's other thread - I think it's a measure of a truly wise man to be able to separate one's aesthetics from one's politics.

Edit: Voted "other" to see results.

katmai

What if I support it, disgusted by two men, and enjoy two women kissing?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

Quote from: katmai on April 18, 2013, 02:40:51 PM

That option is outside the Martisphere.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

That's fine (and also why I specifically asked about two guys). I think this is honest and I think this is the goal we should be aiming at - since you can't change biology - so calling straight people who are uncomfortable with seeing two guys kissing homophobes is counter-productive.

merithyn

What if I support it and find two gay men kissing hott? :unsure:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on April 18, 2013, 02:42:20 PM

That option is outside the Martisphere.

You would be surprised.

Martinus

Quote from: merithyn on April 18, 2013, 02:42:41 PM
What if I support it and find two gay men kissing hott? :unsure:

That's fine too - that's why it is one of the options. :P

katmai

Quote from: Martinus on April 18, 2013, 02:42:31 PM

That's fine (and also why I specifically asked about two guys). I think this is honest and I think this is the goal we should be aiming at - since you can't change biology - so calling straight people who are uncomfortable with seeing two guys kissing homophobes is counter-productive.

Was just being smartass, haven't voted yet, but will be #1, spent enough time in gay bars to be disgusted by two men kissing.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Martinus

Quote from: katmai on April 18, 2013, 02:44:25 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 18, 2013, 02:42:31 PM

Was just being smartass, haven't voted yet, but will be #1, spent enough time in gay bars to be disgusted by two men kissing.

So in your view is this a matter of exposure or is it something else?

Martinus

P.S. I suspect only Neil will vote the option "does not support gay marriage but likes to see two men kissing". :P

Strix

I support gay marriage but find it offensive when anyone kisses in public beyond a quick peck.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

crazy canuck

Your poll does not separate out disgust for people probing eachothers tonsils in public regardless of sexual orientation.

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 18, 2013, 02:48:36 PM
Your poll does not separate out disgust for people probing eachothers tonsils in public regardless of sexual orientation.
Fair enough but then again I wasn't also limiting this to PDAs.

For example, I suspect most straight people are not disgusted when they see a man/woman couple kissing in a movie?

MadImmortalMan

I support gay marriage but I don't think about the issue at all.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 18, 2013, 02:48:36 PM

Yeah that's my stance too. I don't have an issue with people of any sexual orientation kissing but PDAs can get egregious and awful.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.