Need a model? Check out the local eating disorder clinic.

Started by ulmont, April 18, 2013, 02:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on April 18, 2013, 03:47:08 PM
If you tell him things like that, how's he going to rant about how "fat acceptance" is so horrible?

Pretty easy, actually.  People who are into the "fat acceptance" thing are enabling those who have eating disorders that make them fat.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on April 18, 2013, 03:54:45 PM
If you tell him things like that, how's he going to rant about how "fat acceptance" is so horrible?

Pretty easy, actually.  People who are into the "fat acceptance" thing are enabling those who have eating disorders that make them fat.

I'm amazed that you waited for an opening. I mean, you were gunning to get that in there with your very first post.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

Stout Life:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl6TWGRcs6E
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on April 18, 2013, 03:56:33 PM

I'm amazed that you waited for an opening. I mean, you were gunning to get that in there with your very first post.

Not really.  You brought up "fat acceptance".  I wasn't thinking about it at all.  I was just stating my puzzlement that "eating disorders" almost always refer to anorexia & bulimia, and seemingly never to simple overeating.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on April 18, 2013, 04:04:48 PM
Quote from: merithyn on April 18, 2013, 03:56:33 PM

Not really.  You brought up "fat acceptance".  I wasn't thinking about it at all.  I was just stating my puzzlement that "eating disorders" almost always refer to anorexia & bulimia, and seemingly never to simple overeating.

This is your day for the dunce cap it seems.  Eating disorders are those which create imminent danger of health.  People die from eating disorders.  People get puggy from "simple" overeating and may take some years off their life but it isnt going to be a immediate cause of death.

garbon

I was just stating my puzzlement that "eating disorders" almost always refer to anorexia & bulimia, and seemingly never to simple overeating.

I guess you're right that things like obesity generally get discussed as completely separate concepts but it isn't like obesity doesn't get discussed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 18, 2013, 04:13:06 PM
This is your day for the dunce cap it seems.

Always with the ad homs.  You know, I never go after you like that.

QuoteEating disorders are those which create imminent danger of health.  People die from eating disorders.  People get puggy from "simple" overeating and may take some years off their life but it isnt going to be a immediate cause of death.

*If* that's the official definition, I take issue with it.  To me the term "eating disorder" would include any harmful abnormal eating habit.

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on April 18, 2013, 04:17:39 PM

QuoteEating disorders are those which create imminent danger of health.  People die from eating disorders.  People get puggy from "simple" overeating and may take some years off their life but it isnt going to be a immediate cause of death.

*If* that's the official definition, I take issue with it.  To me the term "eating disorder" would include any harmful abnormal eating habit.

An observation that you are having a bad brain function day isnt an ad hom.  An ad hom would be something like you are a gun nut and so cannot be right about this.  While you are gun nut that particular malady has nothing to do with you being completely nutters about the concept that "simple" overeating should be considered an eating disorder.

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on April 18, 2013, 04:17:39 PM

It appears to include both. Makes sense.

http://www.news-medical.net/health/What-is-an-Eating-Disorder.aspx
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Well anorexia and bulimia are not simply under-eating either.  They are very serious life threatening disorders.  I think the equivalent for the fatties would be balooning to 500+ pounds.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: 11B4V on April 18, 2013, 04:22:22 PM

It doesnt include "simply eating too much"  its a matter of extremes on both ends of the spectrum.

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 18, 2013, 06:22:53 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on April 18, 2013, 04:22:22 PM

It doesnt include "simply eating too much"  its a matter of extremes on both ends of the spectrum.

Perhaps I was a bit vague. What I meant was binge eating without the purging.

mongers

Does Anyone have a healthy, balance relationship with their food nowadays ? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on April 18, 2013, 06:28:03 PM
Does Anyone have a healthy, balance relationship with their food nowadays ? :unsure:

Sure. Especially on Sundays when I do up the roasts.  I have a particularly good relationship then.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".