High Schooler Protests ‘Slut-Shaming’ Abstinence Assembly Despite Alleged Threat

Started by merithyn, April 18, 2013, 10:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 18, 2013, 11:41:58 AM

I am not sure what Grumbles has in mind but as much as I agree with your objection to only having abstinence lectures as a substitue for sex education it is not clear to me why an injuction was required.  In my view her actions distract us from the strength of her argument.

Of course the fact that she acted disproportionately to what had occurred is probably why this came to the attention of languish in the first place so I suppose there is something to be said for that.

It was escalated to that level because of how the principal handled it. She didn't immediately go to the media.

EDIT: Wait. I went back and read the article again. She did immediately go to the ACLU. Not convinced that that's a bad thing, per se, mostly because I can't see how else she could have gotten anyone's attention.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 18, 2013, 11:36:07 AM
No shit.  I mean, the first thing I always did when I disagreed with something at school was to contact the local press and get the ACLU involved.

Eh she is a kid, she is filled with the fires of righteousness.  Irrationally thinking she can make a difference and shit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: grumbler on April 18, 2013, 11:46:09 AM
Quote from: Maximus on April 18, 2013, 11:42:30 AM
What are the potential downsides to the way she handled it?

It's very possible she's an annoying person. She is a teenager after all. Actually given her age it's impressive she handled it at all, and not in the worst possible way.

But all that aside I'm not seeing any downsides to the way she acted.

She is telling the newspaper that people who were ashamed of themselves at the assembly are "sluts." They should be able to opt out of being called "sluts" by this girl.  Being referred to in the newspaper as a slut is potentially very damaging to them emotionally.

Maybe she's trying to reclaim the term and spin it into a more positive light. :)

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on April 18, 2013, 11:56:56 AM
Slut acceptance?  The place for that is college :contract:

It seems you have issues with any kind of acceptance that has to do with women being okay with themselves. :hmm:

Valmy

She is telling the newspaper that people who were ashamed of themselves at the assembly are "sluts." They should be able to opt out of being called "sluts" by this girl.  Being referred to in the newspaper as a slut is potentially very damaging to them emotionally.

Slut shaming is a feminist buzzword for using shame to control women's sexuality or some such.  She is just using their lingo.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on April 18, 2013, 12:00:42 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 18, 2013, 11:56:56 AM
Slut acceptance?  The place for that is college :contract:

It seems you have issues with any kind of acceptance that has to do with women being okay with themselves. :hmm:

IT KEEPS THEM IN THEIR PLACE
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

merithyn

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

MadImmortalMan

She should have just skipped the assembly to have sex under the bleachers. That's what I would have done. That's what I probably did, because I don't remember ever having an assembly about sex or pregnancy.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on April 18, 2013, 11:55:44 AM
Quote from: Maximus on April 18, 2013, 11:42:30 AM
What are the potential downsides to the way she handled it?

It's very possible she's an annoying person. She is a teenager after all. Actually given her age it's impressive she handled it at all, and not in the worst possible way.

But all that aside I'm not seeing any downsides to the way she acted.

Maybe she's trying to reclaim the term and spin it into a more positive light. :)

Some one should try to reclaim the terms "hooker", "coke fiend", and "murderess" while they are at it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Somehow I doubt that she sincerely believed her status at Wellesley would be imperilled.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 18, 2013, 01:41:55 PM
Somehow I doubt that she sincerely believed her status at Wellesley would be imperilled.

Probably. But if the principal made the threat, that's still not cricket and she was right to raise it.