High Schooler Protests ‘Slut-Shaming’ Abstinence Assembly Despite Alleged Threat

Started by merithyn, April 18, 2013, 10:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on April 18, 2013, 10:50:14 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 18, 2013, 10:41:12 AM
Hmmm...  On the one hand, I hate the lies and nonsense of the abstinence-only movement.  On the other hand, I also hate fucking busybodies.  You just know this girl is a terrible person.

She may or may not be a slut, but she's definitely an attention whore.

At my WV high school we had a couple of these things each year.  IIRC nobody was required to attend but you had to go to a study hall that was presided over by the most hated teacher.  So we went, sat quietly or snickered under our breath when they tried to sell us on abstinence, and when it was over we were glad that it at least got us out of a couple of classes that day.

Maybe it did prevent someone somewhere from having sex before they were ready, dunno.  But it was generally harmless.

The states that push abstinence only sex education consistently having the highest rates of teen pregnancy and STDs suggests that in fact this isn't harmless, either generally or specifically.

Ignorance is never "harmless", even if some people can see through it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

We had one on domestic violence with that Yellow Dress play.

Also on the dangers of chewing tobacco. I saw that one right before going to the dentist.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Maybe it did prevent someone somewhere from having sex before they were ready, dunno.  But it was generally harmless.

:hmm:

The states with the highest push for abstinence have the highest teen pregnancy rates in the country.  These are also the same states who are pushing to outlaw abortion, or at least make it incredibly difficult to get one especially for teens.

Yes... generally harmless.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on April 18, 2013, 11:06:26 AM

The states that push abstinence only sex education consistently having the highest rates of teen pregnancy and STDs suggests that in fact this isn't harmless, either generally or specifically.

:hug:

crazy canuck

We didnt get any of those boring ones.  The only one I remember was about the dangers of electrical wires which was pretty cool becuse they set up live electrical wires in the gym and showed us all kinds of ways they could destroy things.  The lessons learned may not have been what the school intended however as most of us were trying to figure out how to replicate what we had seen.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 18, 2013, 11:12:35 AM
We didnt get any of those boring ones.  The only one I remember was about the dangers of electrical wires which was pretty cool becuse they set up live electrical wires in the gym and showed us all kinds of ways they could destroy things.  The lessons learned may not have been what the school intended however as most of us were trying to figure out how to replicate what we had seen.

Our domestic violence one wasn't boring...it was actually very creepy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

A swing & a miss!  We didn't have abstinence-only sex education.  We were taught about birth control methods starting in 7th grade.  They even had a stupid cartoon called "Captain Condom" that we had to watch.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on April 18, 2013, 11:14:01 AM

A swing & a miss!  We didn't have abstinence-only sex education.  We were taught about birth control methods starting in 7th grade.  They even had a stupid cartoon called "Captain Condom" that we had to watch.

My kids did have abstinence-only sex education in school. :mellow:

It wasn't directed at you personally, derspiess. Rather that those kinds of "educations" are a major concern.

Neil

Quote from: Malthus on April 18, 2013, 11:01:37 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 18, 2013, 10:56:47 AM
Hmmm...  On the one hand, I hate the lies and nonsense of the abstinence-only movement.  On the other hand, I also hate fucking busybodies.  You just know this girl is a terrible person.

At my WV high school we had a couple of these things each year.  IIRC nobody was required to attend but you had to go to a study hall that was presided over by the most hated teacher.  So we went, sat quietly or snickered under our breath when they tried to sell us on abstinence, and when it was over we were glad that it at least got us out of a couple of classes that day.

We never got any of these, seeing as we were in Canada.  We had our assemblies to prevent drug use.
I don't remember any of those.

Of course, if they were in high school, it is entirely possible I skipped out on them to go get high.  :hmm:
You're also ten years older than I am.  Priorities changed between the 80s and the 90s.  Plus, you were super high.

Honestly, I don't think we had very many assemblies at all.  I remember a couple for drug use, a couple related to the Calgary Olympics, a couple for the Canada Winter Games in 1995, and one for a federal election where the Liberal candidate told off some kid who was giving him a hard time about the war on Alberta.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on April 18, 2013, 11:10:11 AM
:hmm:

The states with the highest push for abstinence have the highest teen pregnancy rates in the country.  These are also the same states who are pushing to outlaw abortion, or at least make it incredibly difficult to get one especially for teens.

Yes... generally harmless.

In my lifetime WV was always a pretty liberal state when it came to abortion.  And the teenage pregnancy rate is due to simple redneckedness :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on April 18, 2013, 11:15:19 AM

It wasn't directed at you personally, derspiess. Rather that those kinds of "educations" are a major concern.

Abstinence only eduction is of course better known as a failure to provide sex education.

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 18, 2013, 11:16:26 AM
Quote from: merithyn on April 18, 2013, 11:15:19 AM

Abstinence only eduction is of course better known as a failure to provide sex education.

:yes:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on April 18, 2013, 11:15:30 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 18, 2013, 11:01:37 AM

We never got any of these, seeing as we were in Canada.  We had our assemblies to prevent drug use.
I don't remember any of those.

Of course, if they were in high school, it is entirely possible I skipped out on them to go get high.  :hmm:
You're also ten years older than I am.  Priorities changed between the 80s and the 90s.  Plus, you were super high.

Honestly, I don't think we had very many assemblies at all.  I remember a couple for drug use, a couple related to the Calgary Olympics, a couple for the Canada Winter Games in 1995, and one for a federal election where the Liberal candidate told off some kid who was giving him a hard time about the war on Alberta.

You was that kid, right?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

How is that a swing and a miss?

You responded to a post talking about abstinence only education and said "At my WV high school we had a couple of these things each year." "These things" presumably refers to assemblies about abstinence only education.

If your's were assemblies about birth control, then clearly you did not have "a couple of THESE things each year" but a couple of other things.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on April 18, 2013, 11:04:29 AM
We had those as well.  We also had the ones urging us not to kill ourselves, with special "video guest" Kirk Cameron giving us valuable encouragement.  One or more of them had that horrible Whitesnake "Here I Go Again" song as the into and/or conclusion.
And that would have been back before Kirk Cameron went crazy too.  Wow, high class.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.