High Schooler Protests ‘Slut-Shaming’ Abstinence Assembly Despite Alleged Threat

Started by merithyn, April 18, 2013, 10:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 18, 2013, 11:17:43 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 18, 2013, 11:15:30 AM
You're also ten years older than I am.  Priorities changed between the 80s and the 90s.  Plus, you were super high.

Honestly, I don't think we had very many assemblies at all.  I remember a couple for drug use, a couple related to the Calgary Olympics, a couple for the Canada Winter Games in 1995, and one for a federal election where the Liberal candidate told off some kid who was giving him a hard time about the war on Alberta.
You was that kid, right?
No, the candidate was a friend of my parents.  The kid was a shit-kicking hillbilly.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 18, 2013, 10:50:14 AM
She may or may not be a slut, but she's definitely an attention whore.

Not a slut but a whore eh?  Glad we cleared that up.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2013, 11:20:35 AM

I bet she has a purse full of whore pills, given to her by queen of the whores Sandra Fluke.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: merithyn on April 18, 2013, 11:19:14 AM
I'm going to regret asking this but...

How so?
Better, as in not so poorly.

Her response was suboptimal and therefor wrong.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on April 18, 2013, 11:17:56 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 18, 2013, 11:14:01 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 18, 2013, 11:06:26 AM
The states that push abstinence only sex education consistently having the highest rates of teen pregnancy and STDs suggests that in fact this isn't harmless, either generally or specifically.

Ignorance is never "harmless", even if some people can see through it.
A swing & a miss!  We didn't have abstinence-only sex education.  We were taught about birth control methods starting in 7th grade.  They even had a stupid cartoon called "Captain Condom" that we had to watch.

How is that a swing and a miss?

You responded to a post talking about abstinence only education and said "At my WV high school we had a couple of these things each year." "These things" presumably refers to assemblies about abstinence only education.

If your's were assemblies about birth control, then clearly you did not have "a couple of THESE things each year" but a couple of other things.

So you're saying that because abstinence was pushed in the assemblies we had abstinence-only education?  Despite the fact that we were taught in class about all birth control methods?

Maybe we only had one abstinence assembly each year & the rest were anti-drug, don't kill yourself, and really bad bands that couldn't get proper gigs. 

They also had one or two "movie days" each year where the school raised money by renting a VHS movie and charging us a couple bucks each to watch it :lol:  Always thought that was illegal.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2013, 11:20:35 AM

Attention-whore :contract:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 18, 2013, 11:26:49 AM
Quote from: grumbler on April 18, 2013, 11:17:57 AM
This student should have handled this better.

LOL, OK teach!

No shit.  I mean, the first thing I always did when I disagreed with something at school was to contact the local press and get the ACLU involved.

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on April 18, 2013, 11:36:07 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 18, 2013, 11:26:49 AM

LOL, OK teach!

No shit.  I mean, the first thing I always did when I disagreed with something at school was to contact the local press and get the ACLU involved.

SARCASM DETECTED
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on April 18, 2013, 11:19:14 AM

I'm going to regret asking this but...

How so?

I am not sure what Grumbles has in mind but as much as I agree with your objection to only having abstinence lectures as a substitue for sex education it is not clear to me why an injuction was required.  In my view her actions distract us from the strength of her argument.

Of course the fact that she acted disproportionately to what had occurred is probably why this came to the attention of languish in the first place so I suppose there is something to be said for that.

Maximus

Quote from: grumbler on April 18, 2013, 11:24:23 AM
Her response was suboptimal and therefor wrong.
What are the potential downsides to the way she handled it?

It's very possible she's an annoying person. She is a teenager after all. Actually given her age it's impressive she handled it at all, and not in the worst possible way.

But all that aside I'm not seeing any downsides to the way she acted.

grumbler

Quote from: Maximus on April 18, 2013, 11:42:30 AM
What are the potential downsides to the way she handled it?

It's very possible she's an annoying person. She is a teenager after all. Actually given her age it's impressive she handled it at all, and not in the worst possible way.

But all that aside I'm not seeing any downsides to the way she acted.

She is telling the newspaper that people who were ashamed of themselves at the assembly are "sluts." They should be able to opt out of being called "sluts" by this girl.  Being referred to in the newspaper as a slut is potentially very damaging to them emotionally.

Bayraktar!

Maximus

Alright, I'll concede that her actions may have been suboptimal, but maintain that they were better than expected.