What I Learned From Gay Sex: Misogyny and Homophobia

Started by garbon, April 18, 2013, 09:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on April 18, 2013, 03:45:08 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 18, 2013, 10:33:08 AM

:goodboy:

I also really like that Peter said this: "I never go home with anyone the night I meet them."  A gay man in New York that goes to gay bars? Chyeah right!
It's a shock, really.  Homos are not that different from straight people when it comes to sex.   ;)

Maybe you meant something like sexual relations. I think the sex is probably a bit different unless most heteros engage in pegging.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on April 18, 2013, 01:14:39 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 18, 2013, 12:55:53 PM
garbon's logic, taken to the extreme, means that any woman who is not lesbian is really misogynistic.

You want to unpack that for me?

I think a large sword would serve you better.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on April 18, 2013, 03:54:36 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 18, 2013, 01:14:39 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 18, 2013, 12:55:53 PM
garbon's logic, taken to the extreme, means that any woman who is not lesbian is really misogynistic.

You want to unpack that for me?

I think a large sword would serve you better.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: fahdiz on April 18, 2013, 12:34:07 PM
Indeed. My point was that it reduces potential attraction to a set of checkboxes and performs a prescreening process that might deter you from meeting someone really neat.

How often have you said, in your dating life, "you know, I usually am not attracted to tall blondes/short brunettes/curvier people/etc but I met this girl/guy and there is just something ridiculously attractive about him/her"?

Well I think it depends on the site.  At match you could check boxes but it was not like anything was prescreened, you could look at everybody and message them if you wanted and vice versa.  Well ok I could only search for women seeking men for some reason which precluded me from scouting the competition if I had felt like it.

In fact I had the experience you described in the second paragraph when I read my wife's profile even though I am not sure I would have approached her if we had run into each other offline.  But she sounded amazing when I got to read what she had to say about herself and the rest was history.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: fahdiz on April 18, 2013, 12:29:56 PM
Yes, dating sites now mirror the hiring process.

Congratulations - your love life is now in the hands of HR :)

Eh people have always had lists of what they wanted their mate to be like.  I do not really see the difference.  And it was always like the hiring process.  It is about presentation and rejection.  Before you were just limited to going out and getting applications in person.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 18, 2013, 03:01:28 PM

I have to remember to once again remind my wife that she is not allowed to die before me.

You know you do not have to do online dating.  It is an option.

fhdz

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2013, 04:31:15 PM
Yes, dating sites now mirror the hiring process.

Eh people have always had lists of what they wanted their mate to be like.  I do not really see the difference.  And it was always like the hiring process.  It is about presentation and rejection.  Before you were just limited to going out and getting applications in person.

That, though, allows much more opportunity for one to be pleasantly surprised.
and the horse you rode in on

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Doesn't it stand to reason that if a man is interested in men he will be interested in men fit the image of what an attractive man is? This of course doesn't mean effeminette.

Of course, different people have different types, but even girls who are into more flowery and emotional sorts of guys tend to like some 'manliness'.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on April 18, 2013, 08:41:47 PM
Doesn't it stand to reason that if a man is interested in men he will be interested in men fit the image of what an attractive man is? This of course doesn't mean effeminette.

Of course, different people have different types, but even girls who are into more flowery and emotional sorts of guys tend to like some 'manliness'.

No.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on April 18, 2013, 09:36:15 AM
Ide, this is how you develop a master rant when jilted by a lover. :lmfao:

Next time, I'm totally blaming straight culture. :D
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

I think it makes an interesting point about pervasive misogyny, even though that's something of an aside.

Nevertheless, I'm not sure I buy that there is this critical mass of gay men who demand non-femmy partners.  If that were the case, how are all the shockingly twinky gay men I've met getting laid?  I mean, I can practically guarantee that if I were gay, I'd probably still want to fuck skinny people that were shorter than me.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on April 18, 2013, 09:27:36 PM
I mean, I can practically guarantee that if I were gay, I'd probably still want to fuck skinny people that were shorter than me.

That needs to go into a sig.  As many as possible.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 18, 2013, 09:29:10 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 18, 2013, 09:27:36 PM
I mean, I can practically guarantee that if I were gay, I'd probably still want to fuck skinny people that were shorter than me.

That needs to go into a sig.  As many as possible.

It'd be easy enough for me too since I'm 5'10".  Lol.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney