News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Explosions at Boston Marathon

Started by Darth Wagtaros, April 15, 2013, 02:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: fahdiz on April 19, 2013, 10:05:43 PM
It's the kind of day today where I need to watch that on a continuous loop so I laugh hard enough to vomit a little bit.

I already sent it to my Dad who, as a veteran of the 60's culture wars chasing down Black Panthers, SDS members and the KKK, hates the FBI more than I do.

CountDeMoney

And besides, has this "public safety exception" passed USSC constitutional muster yet?

Razgovory

If you beat a suspect before the Miranda, does it still count?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 19, 2013, 10:06:26 PM
Does Miranda affect anything other than the guy's own testimony?

Well, there's the "fruit of the poisoned tree" doctrine that says that not only is evidence gained illegally not admissible, but so is anything derived from that evidence.  So if a suspect in a shooting isn't Mirandized, and confesses and tells police where he hid the gun he used, not only is the confession inadmissible, but so is the gun (though there is an "inevitable discovery" exception to that exclusion).  But it does only apply to the suspect himself, so if he also gave up the name of an accomplice, the statement could be used against the accomplice.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 19, 2013, 10:09:00 PM
No, you don't.  But you have to give them somewhere along the line, particularly before the formal charging. 
It is, however, good form to do it as soon as possible.

Oh no question, it's good public policy, and it's important to drill it into the minds of cops to do it right away so they don't squander a later conviction that rested on the guy's tell-all admission.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 19, 2013, 10:11:54 PM
And besides, has this "public safety exception" passed USSC constitutional muster yet?

Don't think so.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: 11B4V on April 19, 2013, 10:14:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hM7Ura6Q4w

Way to ge Boston. Free jackets. :rolleyes:

:lol:  Man I feel so lucky to have been with the Philadelphia looters of 2008, and now the Boston looters of 2013. 
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on April 19, 2013, 10:14:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hM7Ura6Q4w

Way to ge Boston. Free jackets. :rolleyes:

I read someone excusing that by saying they were using them as bandages and tourniquets.  Ehh, no. I don't see much of a sense of urgency once each guy picked out his size.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

Quote from: Viking on April 19, 2013, 09:15:41 PM
I have little sympathy for the father sitting in russia making threats and spinning conspiracies. He went on the attack and therefore I don't have sympathy.
Yeah, while his kids were tossing bombs at cops, shooting at them, robbing stores and killing another cop he's trying to say his sons are being framed! <_<

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on April 19, 2013, 10:15:56 PM

Don't think so.

Lovely.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: dps on April 19, 2013, 10:15:56 PM

Don't think so.

I think it goes back to a late 70s/early 80s case where a supermarket armed robbery was on-going (maybe with hostages), and they caught one guy but not the other, and the USSC did find a limited public safety exception.

Capetan Mihali

Got it. :smarty:  Didn't even have to drag the 4th/5th/6th Amendment casebooks out of the basement on a Friday night.

N.Y. v. Quarles, 467 U.S. 649 (1984).  http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bin/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=467&invol=649

Knew it was a Rehnquist opinion.   :glare:

CountDeMoney

fhdz

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 19, 2013, 10:25:15 PM
Should fucking do it anyway.

I concur with my esteemed colleague from the East.
and the horse you rode in on