School apologizes over pro-Nazi essay assignment

Started by garbon, April 13, 2013, 11:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 17, 2013, 11:29:47 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 17, 2013, 10:56:06 AM
At this point, I'd just be repeating myself. I assume you at least understand what I was saying, even if you disagree with it.

I understand, but I don't agree about its likely effect or efficacy.

Yeah agreed. I understand where Malthus is coming from but I don't see why it'd have that effect/be effective.

I'd also add that given it's offensive nature and it is dubious as a lesson plan, I'd stick to the side of staying away from such exercises.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on April 17, 2013, 12:04:52 PM
At this point, I'd just be repeating myself. I assume you at least understand what I was saying, even if you disagree with it.

Yeah agreed. I understand where Malthus is coming from but I don't see why it'd have that effect/be effective.

I think originally the discussion was whether the furore over this is justified - not whether this is the most efficient/effective way of teaching this particular issue. I think this is a completely different topic.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on April 17, 2013, 12:08:42 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 17, 2013, 12:04:52 PM

I think originally the discussion was whether the furore over this is justified - not whether this is the most efficient/effective way of teaching this particular issue. I think this is a completely different topic.

See my amended post.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Fair enough.

Would you say that it is possible reasonable people could disagree over this?

Because really that is the test - not whether it is the best possible lesson, but whether it is a lesson reasonable people would generally agree has no value and is thus worthless and offensive.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on April 17, 2013, 01:10:14 PM
Because really that is the test - not whether it is the best possible lesson, but whether it is a lesson reasonable people would generally agree has no value and is thus worthless and offensive.

Not sure I could agree with that. After all my position is that it isn't worth it enough to balance out the offensiveness.

mongers

Just sounds like a scheme to train the next generation of internet debaters.   :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

Quote from: mongers on April 17, 2013, 02:06:22 PM
Just sounds like a scheme to train the next generation of internet debaters.   :(

Ad hom! Ad hom!  Strawman!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on April 17, 2013, 12:08:42 PM
I think originally the discussion was whether the furore over this is justified

No but outrage is a cheap commodity.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on April 17, 2013, 01:10:14 PM

I tend to garbon's view - that most reasonable people would recognize that the lesson plan could easily be misunderstood or even seen by other reasonable people as offensive and thus absent a strong case for efficacy probably should be avoided.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson