School apologizes over pro-Nazi essay assignment

Started by garbon, April 13, 2013, 11:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on April 16, 2013, 12:43:15 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2013, 11:26:44 AM
I think it's okay if we brightline a few items like sexuality, gender and sexuality.  I also think you can engage in critical thinking about these concepts without be assigned to pretend to be someone would socially backwards views.
I put this through my gibberish-English translator and it came out gibberish.  You might want to re-word it in English.  Before you do, look up "bright line" so you don't misuse it again, and re-think whether "socially backwards" is really the kind of view you think you are describing.

Oh I'm sorry I wasn't talking to you. Your inability to comprehend is not really a concern of mine. :console:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Yeah, they over-capitalismed the shit out of me last year.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2013, 12:49:40 PM
Oh I'm sorry I wasn't talking to you. Your inability to comprehend is not really a concern of mine. :console:

Cool.  Your inability to communicate doesn't really lower the quality of your posts; in fact, it is probably better for your rep that you write gibberish than that you express your ideas clearly.  :hug:

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 16, 2013, 01:06:35 PM
Yeah, they over-capitalismed the shit out of me last year.

Oh.  Sorry.  I meant capitalization, not capitalism, in both my response to you and my response to The Brain.  Stupid auto-correct! 

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Fuck, I could use some over-capitalization right about now.  I'll PM my PayPal account.

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on April 16, 2013, 01:07:53 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2013, 12:49:40 PM

Cool.  Your inability to communicate doesn't really lower the quality of your posts; in fact, it is probably better for your rep that you write gibberish than that you express your ideas clearly.  :hug:

Hey there really isn't a reason we need to interact here. :)

dps

Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2013, 10:19:12 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 16, 2013, 10:12:38 AM
It's self-evidently play-acting.

In this case, no-one expects that the kids will come out of the exercise being real Nazi propagandists, any more than one expects a Shakespearian actor in drama class will really go on a murderous rampage and be haunted by guilt.

Agreed but if the articles around are any indication, more than a handful of students didn't feel comfortable with this play-acting.

So?  In any given class, more than a handful of students won't feel comfortable with multiple-choice quiz. 

garbon

Quote from: dps on April 16, 2013, 01:30:33 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2013, 10:19:12 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 16, 2013, 10:12:38 AM
It's self-evidently play-acting.

In this case, no-one expects that the kids will come out of the exercise being real Nazi propagandists, any more than one expects a Shakespearian actor in drama class will really go on a murderous rampage and be haunted by guilt.

Agreed but if the articles around are any indication, more than a handful of students didn't feel comfortable with this play-acting.

So?  In any given class, more than a handful of students won't feel comfortable with multiple-choice quiz. 

So you don't see a difference between kids being upset that they are asked to create racist arguments vs. kids that are upset because they have a multiple-choice quiz? :huh:

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on April 16, 2013, 12:36:31 PM
Quote from: merithyn on April 16, 2013, 10:23:55 AM
The critical thinking part isn't too hard. The emotional impact would be, however.

That's part of the reason to do the exercise; to demonstrate that it is possible to engage in intellectual pursuits, and that not everything has to be about one's emotions.  It is precisely those who have the hardest time separating their emotions from their intellect that can gain most by a challenge like this.

School isn't about teaching students to avoid challenges, it is about teaching them to overcome challenges.

If you tried it, you would discover that, over time, you could control your emotions and respond to challenges like this assignment in a purely intellectual manner.  A good school will allow one to do this as a teenager, and not be crippled by emotionalism into adulthood.

Posting on Languish is like a PhD in this.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius