School apologizes over pro-Nazi essay assignment

Started by garbon, April 13, 2013, 11:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Meh, I'd have loved that assignment as a kid.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on April 13, 2013, 07:41:02 PM
I dont understand what the issue is.

I guess it would be highly dependent upon the maturity level of the class.  But that aside, yeah, a non-issue.  One of my favorite classes in college was a political science class that went pretty in depth into Communism, Fascism, and Nazism.  In each of the topics the instructor told us we'd have to think like a communist, fascist, or Nazi, as difficult as that may be, to really learn it.  And of course nobody came out of that class goosestepping or reciting Marx as if it were the gospel.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

There are better ways to do that kind of exercise.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on April 15, 2013, 09:33:52 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on April 13, 2013, 07:41:02 PM
I dont understand what the issue is.

I guess it would be highly dependent upon the maturity level of the class.  But that aside, yeah, a non-issue.  One of my favorite classes in college was a political science class that went pretty in depth into Communism, Fascism, and Nazism.  In each of the topics the instructor told us we'd have to think like a communist, fascist, or Nazi, as difficult as that may be, to really learn it.  And of course nobody came out of that class goosestepping or reciting Marx as if it were the gospel.

I think like a fascist all the time.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on April 15, 2013, 01:23:13 PM
Quote from: merithyn on April 15, 2013, 12:48:15 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 15, 2013, 09:36:02 AM

Yep

Nope.

I think you have a point if you think the assignment was pointless. Otherwise, I would think there would have to be a better way to think critically about how people could have espoused such awful views without asking students to defend the premise that Jews are evil.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on April 15, 2013, 01:22:57 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 15, 2013, 09:36:02 AM

:lmfao:

Okay, teach.

I'm sure even you could've come up with something better than "You must argue that Jews are evil, and use solid rationale from government propaganda to convince me of your loyalty to the Third Reich!" for a critical thinking exercise.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on April 15, 2013, 01:39:01 PM
I think you have a point if you think the assignment was pointless. Otherwise, I would think there would have to be a better way to think critically about how people could have espoused such awful views without asking students to defend the premise that Jews are evil.

You're not a teacher, and obviously only Teacher Knows Best.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 15, 2013, 01:46:14 PM

I guess that's why teachers are often up against the wall when budgetary issues come along.

grumbler

I don't think you understand what Naziism was about.   The premise that Jews were evil is at the core of Nazi beliefs.  To say that students should try to think like a Nazi but not to think of Jews as evil is absurd on the face of it.   Your concept only works if the exercise is designed to be a useless joke.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 15, 2013, 01:45:19 PM
I'm sure even you could've come up with something better than "You must argue that Jews are evil, and use solid rationale from government propaganda to convince me of your loyalty to the Third Reich!" for a critical thinking exercise.

It is a terrific exercise.  It forces the students to actually read the rationales that the Nazis actually created here in the real world, instead of just making shit up on their own.  It makes the familiar unfamiliar, and the unfamiliar familiar.

Most people don't like to think, and so they don't like exercises like this that require thinking.   You sound like you just don't want people writing about Nazis because they are "so icky."

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 15, 2013, 01:46:14 PM

Obviously, Teacher Knows a Fuckton More Than You Do!  :lol:

Bayraktar!