News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Your favourite flawed end-of-cold-war hero?

Started by Martinus, April 11, 2013, 09:44:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Today, which of the flawed end-of-cold-war heroes you like/respect/admire the most?

Reagan
9 (20.9%)
Thatcher
8 (18.6%)
John Paul II
7 (16.3%)
Kohl
1 (2.3%)
Mitterand
3 (7%)
Walesa
1 (2.3%)
Gorbachev
14 (32.6%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on April 11, 2013, 07:26:46 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 11, 2013, 07:24:09 PM
I like the polack with the dark glasses. The one who should have shot Lech.
His future was so bright that he had to wear shades?

I can't spell those names they got. LOL Dawid.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 11, 2013, 07:27:56 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 11, 2013, 07:26:46 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 11, 2013, 07:24:09 PM
I like the polack with the dark glasses. The one who should have shot Lech.
His future was so bright that he had to wear shades?

I can't spell those names they got. LOL Dawid.

I'm sure it ended with -ski.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

fhdz

Quote from: Martinus on April 11, 2013, 11:47:11 AM
Quote from: fahdiz on April 11, 2013, 11:31:54 AM
Quote from: Caliga on April 11, 2013, 11:30:39 AM
I didn't vote for JPII because I can't really see how he is "flawed" so I didn't see him as an appropriate choice for the poll. :sleep:

I voted for Gorby, because a) he is cool, and b) he's flawed what with that giant birthmark on his head. :smarty:

For Marti, "flawed" means "was not a champion of gay rights".

No, it means "feted serial child molesters and protected them from criminal prosecution". Also, "gagged theologians" and "spearheaded a mis-information campaign on condom use in Africa, which indirectly led to death of millions."

...none of which you'd care about in the least if he had been a huge supporter of gay rights.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on April 11, 2013, 11:32:00 AM
Gorby is overrated.
He's definitely a rather unpleasant fellow, and much more of an unrepentant authoritarian communist than you would think.

Sheilbh

Quote from: fahdiz on April 11, 2013, 07:35:37 PM

...none of which you'd care about in the least if he had been a huge supporter of gay rights.
I mean for a start, what's the point of a Magisterium if they can't gag theologians? :blink:

I would point out Benny had a much better record on all of that as Pope and as Ratzinger (with the exception of gagging theologians, but that was his job :lol:). But I don't think it made Marty like him more.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

I admire Gorby, but he seems to me a bit like a Khruschev they didn't overthrow quick enough. It's far less admirable than most of the others on the poll.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on April 11, 2013, 07:39:17 PM
Gorby is overrated.
He's definitely a rather unpleasant fellow, and much more of an unrepentant authoritarian communist than you would think.

Well, he is a Russian.  I see him as an inept reformer, like a guy who tries to replace all the supporting beams of his house at once.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

The only one on the list I see as truly flawed is Cwptyn Solidarnosc.  Of unflawed Cold War heroes I throw another vote at Havel.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on April 11, 2013, 08:28:20 PM
Gorby is overrated.

Well, he is a Russian.  I see him as an inept reformer, like a guy who tries to replace all the supporting beams of his house at once.
:yes: He's a failed communist, not a successful democrat.

CountDeMoney

I see him as an inept reformer, like a guy who tries to replace all the supporting beams of his house at once.

Out of all the ones listed in the poll, he was the one that was swimming upstream the most.  Worked with what he had, within the environment he was given.

fhdz

Gorby is overrated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T_XXh1WaG0

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on April 11, 2013, 08:39:53 PM
:yes: He's a failed communist, not a successful democrat.

That was always my impression.  Which is why it bothered me when people here got all mushy on him in the 80s.

The Naked Gun movie intro confirmed my fears :P