News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is a bigoted dystopia really feasible anymore?

Started by Ideologue, April 09, 2013, 09:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on April 10, 2013, 07:43:07 PM
And those two ideas are logically incompatible how?

Want to run that by me again?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Ideologue on April 10, 2013, 07:43:07 PM
And those two ideas are logically incompatible how?

This was in reply to CC, not Razgo.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ideologue

I guess a bigoted dystopia need not be totalitarian, but if I felt like it I could make a colorable (lol) argument that any bigoted dystopia is going to have at least a bit of a totalitarian cast to it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

HVC

Quote from: Ideologue on April 10, 2013, 07:53:01 PM
I guess a bigoted dystopia need not be totalitarian, but if I felt like it I could make a colorable (lol) argument that any bigoted dystopia is going to have at least a bit of a totalitarian cast to it.
Canada and America interned an entire racial group not 70 years ago.

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 10, 2013, 08:02:18 PM
I would look good in a black uniform.
it'd go well with the chrome on your walker :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Ideologue

Quote from: HVC on April 10, 2013, 07:58:55 PM

I dunno.  I'd think I'd enjoy being put in a Japanese-American internment camp.
Kinemalogue

Ed Anger

HVC

Quote from: Ideologue on April 10, 2013, 08:03:22 PM

I dunno.  I'd think I'd enjoy being put in a Japanese-American internment camp.
yellow fever aside it would no doubt suck.

HVC

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 10, 2013, 08:04:13 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 10, 2013, 08:03:10 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 10, 2013, 08:02:18 PM
I would look good in a black uniform.
it'd go well with the chrome on your walker :P

Porkchops go in the ovens.
worth it! 

Also :wub: for using Porkchop.

Ed Anger

HVC

Uhm... Still worth it.  Plus he'll entertain me with stories about the time he met the king of Siam.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 10, 2013, 12:20:52 PM
Ide for one.  Thanks for coming out and playing

I hope he reads your post, because otherwise he won't know that he disagrees with your trite generalization.  Thanks for telling him what he believes.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Not to mention blacks were in a pretty bad situation for most of US history, but nobody calls 1850's America "Totalitarian".