News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Thatcher's Politicial Legacy.

Started by mongers, April 08, 2013, 10:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Yep, but I have less idea of whether that was a good idea or a bad one.

Richard Hakluyt

A grave error, since all these metropolitan councils were natural units of government and benefited from their constituent boroughs seeing the big picture re public transport etc..

Of course all these big city places were full of lefties, immigrants, homosexuals and all the other types of people that Mrs Thatcher never really understood.

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Warspite on April 08, 2013, 11:53:51 AM
A reason is less fucking good if it's based on an outdated modelling of European politics.

Yeah, like ethnic politics.  Because we all know that's an outdated modelling of European politics that went out of style so long ago.

Warspite

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 08, 2013, 12:15:14 PM
Quote from: Warspite on April 08, 2013, 11:53:51 AM
A reason is less fucking good if it's based on an outdated modelling of European politics.

Yeah, like ethnic politics.  Because we all know that's an outdated modelling of European politics that went out of style so long ago.

List the German diaspora populations in 1989. Continental United States doesn't count.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 08, 2013, 12:13:17 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 08, 2013, 11:53:03 AM
Ah, Seedy is trolling  :)

I YAM AN ESSENTIAL VERKER.

Stop.  You're making me laugh at something inappropriate.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Legbiter on April 08, 2013, 11:07:57 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 08, 2013, 10:56:23 AM
I don't think Thatcher was some great genius but they seem to dream that somehow the modern world would never have intruded on Britain if she had never lived.

Agreed. Has Pittsburg recovered from Reagan era?

IMO, in foreign policy and international relations, her impact was significant. In economics, it was merely a speedbump along the path of inevitability.

I'm not certain McKinnock would have gone to war over the Falklands, for example.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Warspite on April 08, 2013, 12:16:56 PM
List the German diaspora populations in 1989. Continental United States doesn't count.

How about we list Yugoslavian population dips for 1991-1999 instead?

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

crazy canuck

@ Gups,

I dont think anyone would accuse Thatcher of being a saint.  Of course she had a poltical axe to grind.  So did her opposition.  Her legacy is making the economic changes which today we think of as being inevitable and common sense at a time when there were very much against the political grain.

Zanza

Mallorca.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 08, 2013, 12:20:23 PM

They just needed to get all that out of their system.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Zanza

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 08, 2013, 12:19:46 PM
In economics, it was merely a speedbump along the path of inevitability.
Hardly. The success model of the 21st century so far is state intervention economics Asian style, not Thatcherism. It was certainly influential, but I think it is past its apogee nowadays.

EDIT: Thinking about it, it's not past its apogee, but it's certainly no longer the force it used to be. Privatization is all well and good in some sectors, but the wholesale dissolution of state services has become quite unpopular here. That won't win you elections anymore.

Warspite

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 08, 2013, 12:20:23 PM

I don't think Thatcher was opposed to East joining West because the Ossies were going to surround and start shelling Kreuzberg.

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Jacob