And we're back!

Main Menu

India Rapist Burned Alive by Victim

Started by Martinus, April 04, 2013, 11:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: frunk on April 04, 2013, 02:47:46 PM
Quote from: Viking on April 04, 2013, 02:39:03 PM

Compared to Norway has a conviction rate for rape of about 19% while India has a conviction rate of 26%. The US has a similar (arrest) rate of 25%. While there are some apples/oranges issues. The conviction rate in India is reasonable at least compared to Norway.

I don't think the "he won't be punished" argument here holds any water.

That doesn't take into account how infrequently rape is even reported in India because of the shame it brings to the family.  It's miniscule compared to western countries.  Conviction rate isn't a good approximation for how just the system is.

Yeah, comparisons like that are more or less useless. In an place like Scandinavia, rape is much more likely to be reported and also have more false accusations. It stands to reason that a more conservative place where people are less likely to even report it would have a higher conviction rate.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

Quote from: Viking on April 04, 2013, 02:39:03 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 04, 2013, 02:28:58 PM
Usually I'm on the opposite side from Meyth. But in this case, I gotta agree she has a point.

Killing someone who has just committed such a crime on you would not be justifiable, if there were other reasonable choices available. From what I've read, in many places in India the authorities will do diddly-squat in cases of rape like this.

In a place where there is a functioning system of cops and courts, yeah, the law should discourage vigilantism to the utmost. Where the situation is at least in part a function of the fact that the authorities can't or won't do shit about it, then it seems reasonable for a court asked to judge *her* actions to use the old Texas-style verdict of 'yep, he's a guy that needed a killing' - perhaps call it 'not guilty by reason of momentary insanity' or some such  ;) . Assuming of course that the story as stated is true.

Compared to Norway has a conviction rate for rape of about 19% while India has a conviction rate of 26%. The US has a similar (arrest) rate of 25%. While there are some apples/oranges issues. The conviction rate in India is reasonable at least compared to Norway.

I don't think the "he won't be punished" argument here holds any water.

I don't think the conviction rate tells the story. Before you get convicted, you must be charged. In some societies, that can be a problem; India is alegedly one of them. According to reports, it has a real "culture of rape" where it isn't considered a serious crime by large segments of the population, leading to an artifically low rate of charges and arrests.

The fact that women complaining about rape are, allegedly, sometimes raped by the cops who are "investigating" their cases doesn't help.

http://www.salon.com/2012/12/29/indias_culture_of_rape_is_endemic/
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2013, 02:55:27 PM
Quote from: frunk on April 04, 2013, 02:47:46 PM
That doesn't take into account how infrequently rape is even reported in India because of the shame it brings to the family.  It's miniscule compared to western countries.  Conviction rate isn't a good approximation for how just the system is.

Not reporting a rape based on family shame is not a failure of the system, it's a failure of the family.  So the victim in the story should have reported the crime to the police then set fire to her family when they tried to shame her about it.

Heh, on the one hand she could kill her rapist sleeping it off in her bed - on the other, she could single-handedly change the entire society she happens to live in. Tough choice.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

His family will now set her on fire and the vigilantly scales of justice will be balanced once more.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on April 04, 2013, 03:02:42 PM
Heh, on the one hand she could kill her rapist sleeping it off in her bed - on the other, she could single-handedly change the entire society she happens to live in. Tough choice.  :hmm:

:hmm: What happened to her family?  I could have sworn they were mentioned before.

Razgovory

Of course it's entirely possible he didn't rape her, and she brought him into her house for some purpose and chose to light him on fire.  You know, when you cast aside due process and engage in vigilantism it's difficult discover who's really guilty.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2013, 03:05:10 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 04, 2013, 03:02:42 PM

:hmm: What happened to her family?  I could have sworn they were mentioned before.

Presumably, if the cops don't take her case seriously, she has to do them in, too. Ditto the courts.

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2013, 03:08:03 PM
Of course it's entirely possible he didn't rape her, and she brought him into her house for some purpose and chose to light him on fire.  You know, when you cast aside due process and engage in vigilantism it's difficult discover who's really guilty.

How is determining her guilt for murder inherently more difficult that determining his guilt for rape?

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on April 04, 2013, 03:11:42 PM

How is determining her guilt for murder inherently more difficult that determining his guilt for rape?

What?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

Quote from: HVC on April 04, 2013, 03:04:38 PM
His family will now set her on fire and the vigilantly scales of justice will be balanced once more.

This will somehow escalate into India setting Pakistan on fire.  Mark my words.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Rasputin

Quote from: HVC on April 04, 2013, 03:04:38 PM

you'd at least have made a better cowboy than viking
Who is John Galt?

Razgovory

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2013, 03:18:39 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 04, 2013, 03:11:42 PM

What?

Presumably, she will be tried for murder. At such a trial, she will have to demonstrate that her story is true to have a hope of being aquitted - she admits she did it.

If she had not killed him, but rather successfully managed to get him charged with rape, to secure a conviction the state would have to prove that he raped her.

Proving rape is going to be difficult - as will proving her motives for murder.

It isn't "vigilatism" per se that creates the difficulty.

Eddie Teach

Given what's been reported in the story, that would still be karmic justice.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall