News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

India Rapist Burned Alive by Victim

Started by Martinus, April 04, 2013, 11:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I'm inclined to agree with Puff.  If the state punished the perp by setting him on fire we would condemn that.  Shouldn't be any different for the victim.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2013, 01:52:17 PM
I'm inclined to agree with Puff.  If the state punished the perp by setting him on fire we would condemn that.  Shouldn't be any different for the victim.

Given that the state is doing next to nothing to protect women in that country, I think it's perfectly reasonable for women to do whatever they feel is necessary to protect themselves. They feel completely at the will of men, and if it takes a few immolations to make the men take a step back, well... so be it.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

Sure it's different, the state is a rational actor that hasn't just been raped.

I wouldn't condone her actions, but the rape is pretty strong mitigation.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on April 04, 2013, 01:56:53 PM
Given that the state is doing next to nothing to protect women in that country, I think it's perfectly reasonable for women to do whatever they feel is necessary to protect themselves. They feel completely at the will of men, and if it takes a few immolations to make the men take a step back, well... so be it.

If she had gouged out his eyes, tied him up and kept him alive for a week while torturing him that could have some deterrent value too.  Would you condone that as well?

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2013, 01:59:20 PM

If she had gouged out his eyes, tied him up and kept him alive for a week while torturing him that could have some deterrent value too.  Would you condone that as well?

Nope. That's not a "heat of the moment" kind of thing. What she did, however, was.

merithyn

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 04, 2013, 01:57:15 PM

Add to that the fact that the result of her reporting him would be shame for her, probably nothing for him, and the risk that it would happen again. What incentive is there for her to allow him to live?

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 04, 2013, 01:57:15 PM

I can agree with that. The fact that she had just been raped should be considered a mitigating factor when sentencing.

On a more serious note, Norway is dealing with a similar issue today. An epidemic of India style assault rapes which are going unpunished due to low motivation from the police to investigate related to the inability to punish due to prison overcrowding as well as a perception by the "immigrant community" that prison isn't harsh combined with an inability to expel violent offenders due to political/diplomatic reasons. Vigilantism isn't the response. <insert Slargos style rant>.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on April 04, 2013, 02:03:23 PM
Nope. That's not a "heat of the moment" kind of thing. What she did, however, was.

Considering deterrent value is not a heat of the moment thing either.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2013, 02:06:23 PM

Considering deterrent value is not a heat of the moment thing either.

She wants him to never rape her again. The only way that's going to happen in India is for him to die. So, she makes that happen.

That doesn't require rational thought. That requires intimate knowledge of the culture you live in, and a strong desire for self-preservation.

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2013, 01:59:20 PM

:huh: going to find a can of kerosene dousing the man and lighting it is "heat of the moment"?

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

merithyn

Quote from: Viking on April 04, 2013, 02:08:36 PM

:huh: going to find a can of kerosene dousing the man and lighting it is "heat of the moment"?

:)

Quote from: merithyn on April 04, 2013, 02:07:59 PM
She wants him to never rape her again. The only way that's going to happen in India is for him to die. So, she makes that happen.

That doesn't require rational thought. That requires intimate knowledge of the culture you live in, and a strong desire for self-preservation.

Viking

Quote from: merithyn on April 04, 2013, 02:09:32 PM
Quote from: Viking on April 04, 2013, 02:08:36 PM

:)

Quote from: merithyn on April 04, 2013, 02:07:59 PM

this is what heat of the moment might look like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_and_Lorena_Bobbitt

:contract:

I don't care how evil this guy was or how incapable the society was of punishing him vigilantism always makes the situation worse.

merithyn

Quote from: Viking on April 04, 2013, 02:12:11 PM

I don't care how evil this guy was or how incapable the society was of punishing him vigilantism always makes the situation worse.

Given that this man was a menace to multiple women in the area according to the article, I'd disagree. It appears to have made this situation far better for a whole lot of people. Just not for him.

derspiess

No, not always.  I'm with Meri on this one.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

Quote from: merithyn on April 04, 2013, 02:13:38 PM

Given that this man was a menace to multiple women in the area according to the article, I'd disagree. It appears to have made this situation far better for a whole lot of people. Just not for him.

merithyn; proud apologist for vigilantism.