Started by viper37, April 03, 2013, 03:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Jacob on April 05, 2013, 01:08:06 PM
Quote from: merithyn on April 05, 2013, 12:53:05 PM
Quote from: katmai on April 05, 2013, 12:45:01 PM
Mexican Chorizo>Iberian Chorizo

:yes:

How can you agree with that when you've never even had Iberian Chorizo?

I've seen the recipe. :huh:

That's how I knew it was different.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Did I not just read this same shit on the other thread?  :huh:

Chorizo is a sausage, but sausage is not chorizo.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

merithyn

Quote from: The Brain on April 05, 2013, 01:15:38 PM
The recipe for generic sausage?

For Spanish chorizo

Based on the recipes that I looked at, Spanish chorizo is similar in texture to American cured sausages like Summer Sausage or Smoked Sausage. The Mexican chorizo that I'm familiar with is more the texture of breakfast sausage. (Flavors of both are obviously very different, but the textures are similar.)

In general, I don't care for spicy cured sausages, so it stands to reason that I won't care much for Spanish chorizo. Besides, how does one make chorizo and eggs with that stuff?

merithyn

Quote from: lustindarkness on April 05, 2013, 01:21:49 PM
Did I not just read this same shit on the other thread?  :huh:

This is where it started. :contract:

Chorizo is a sausage, but sausage is not chorizo, except that chorizo doesn't mean the same kind of sausage everywhere. That makes "chorizo" a generic term for "spicy pork sausage" because you can't determine what kind of "spicy pork sausage" it is just by the use of the word "chorizo".

In Spain, it's cured and solid. In Mexico it's more like ground meat. I have no idea what it's like in South America, but it seems to all be different from each other. Ergo, chorizo is generic and completely non-specific.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Larch

derspiess

Yeah right, summer sausage :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Quote from: merithyn on April 05, 2013, 12:53:05 PM

Kat, have you ever made your own? I hadn't until a couple of years ago, and I have to say that the recipe my oldest sister had blows most store-bought chorizo out of the water. It came from her mother-in-law from some tiny little village in the mountains, has something like 15 spices in it, and takes for freaking ever to make, but it's delicious. :mmm:

Never tried it, making homemade mole negro was enough of a job to discourage me from trying chorizo.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

I love Mexican food, but I love both Spanish and Tex-Mex better.

merithyn

:mmm:

Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2013, 01:28:05 PM
Yeah, summer sausage :lol:

:huh:

I very specifically said same texture, not same flavor. They're both cured, hardened sausages, as opposed to crumbly, soft sausage.

Spanish chorizo

Summer sausage

merithyn

Quote from: katmai on April 05, 2013, 01:37:12 PM

Never tried it, making homemade mole negro was enough of a job to discourage me from trying chorizo.

Heh. I've never even made the attempt at mole. I saw my sister take three days to make it - and the recipe was like three pages typed. I'll get my mole in a jar, thanks. :P

Chorizo isn't as bad, especially with a food processor. If you had to do it with a mortar and pestle, though....

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son