New "whore pill" for the US ( und der Spieß ?)

Started by Duque de Bragança, April 05, 2013, 01:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2013, 03:08:13 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2013, 02:56:07 PM
:rolleyes:  Never mind.  This is obviously a touchy issue for you.

You're retreating because the side effect argument was proven false?

I guess.  ISN'T THAT WHAT YOU WANT
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2013, 03:06:33 PM

You're always touch on women's issues.  But fine, no prescription then.  No consultation or anything.  If it's non-prescription, then hopefully I'll at least not have to share the cost through my group health insurance plan.

This is actually why I was so curious as to your reluctance to make it OTC. The benefits to you are far larger with it as an OTC med than as a prescription. And since it's not an abortion pill (if you're pregnant, it won't end the pregnancy), I didn't understand why you would want it restricted on that front.

QuoteYou win this one, Meri.  But I'm not budging on the chorizo front.

I wasn't out for a "win", but thanks. :)

And I'll concede that my understanding of the word chorizo may be singular rather than global. :sleep:

;)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

I don't particularly want anything with regards to birth control. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2013, 03:14:11 PM
I don't particularly want anything with regards to birth control. ;)

Aw, come on.  I'm sure there's people that you'd want it retroactively applied to.

Fate

Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2013, 01:42:08 PM
I don't have any ethical problem with the pill's availability, but it seems like it ought to require a prescription given the side effects.

All of which are less than aspirin or other NSAIDs. High dose progestins are about as safe as you can get. And you're at a lower chance of death if you terminate the pregnancy than if you carried it to term. Pregnancy has a lot of side effects that never went through the FDA approval process including but not limited to gestational diabetes, gestational hypertension, preeclampsia, placental abruption, deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolism, and endometritis.

merithyn

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on April 05, 2013, 03:34:24 PM
He's already acquiesced, proto-doc. ;)

Yeah we'd already finished him off. *high-five*
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2013, 03:37:19 PM
Quote from: merithyn on April 05, 2013, 03:34:24 PM
He's already acquiesced, proto-doc. ;)

Yeah we'd already finished him off. *high-five*

And all without an almost-medical degree. ;)

Fate

Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2013, 02:48:06 PM
But let's back up for a second.  Don't these pills work sort of like taking multiple dosages of birth control pills?  Those still require a prescription, don't they?

Estrogen in birth control needs to be regulated at point of care because it should be kept away from women at risk of blood clots (particularly smokers >35). Not all birth control contains estrogen. Plan B contains high dose progesterone analogs which don't increase blood clot risks.

Honestly I don't see a reason to keep women from buying progesterone OCPs over the counter. But it's just how it is. OB/gyns just want am excuse to see 50% of the sexually active population every year.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Fate on April 05, 2013, 03:42:28 PM
OB/gyns just want am excuse to see 50% of the sexually active population every year.

:perv:

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2013, 02:34:05 PM
If that's the case, we should open the floodgates & make a bunch of other stuff available without prescription.

We should, actually.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers