Where in the world is it safe to travel?

Started by garbon, April 03, 2013, 11:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on April 03, 2013, 12:19:22 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 03, 2013, 12:11:43 PM
Quote from: Syt on April 03, 2013, 11:48:36 AM
Why is Canada blank?

None of the descriptors apply. 

I heard y'all don't even lock your doors up there.

In a lot of rural communities that is true.  It is also true that we have sane gun control laws.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: derspiess on April 03, 2013, 01:23:28 PM

Awesome town, in any case.  Blossoming craft brewing culture there, to boot.

It looks really cool. Too bad it's on that side of the border.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 03, 2013, 01:37:55 PM
You are moving to Argentina?  I hear almost as hard to get the Cardinals games there.

As long as I can get a stable Wi-Fi connection I have been able to get Jets games in Brazil.

As for the map - where was it when we planned this trip <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

derspiess

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 03, 2013, 02:09:20 PM

All the fun stuff is in Argentina.  Chile technically may be a little safer, but it's also more boring.  And I always feel pretty safe in Buenos Aires-- apart from when I'm driving anyway.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

The fact that everyone in Brazil has a 7 foot brick fence topped with barbed wire or broken glass does not make me feel safe..

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on April 03, 2013, 02:50:50 PM
The fact that everyone in Brazil has a 7 foot brick fence topped with barbed wire or broken glass does not make me feel safe..

:lol:  Yep, but after a while you almost don't notice it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

I felt reasonably safe when in was there, but of course we did have a bodyguard and a local guide; and when we went to the bad parts of town, we cleared our activities with the local (gang) authorities.

Eddie Teach

Can't really keep track of which Latin American countries you're likely to be kidnapped for ransom in so assume it's all of them.  :ph34r:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: derspiess on April 03, 2013, 02:36:40 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 03, 2013, 02:09:20 PM

All the fun stuff is in Argentina.  Chile technically may be a little safer, but it's also more boring.  And I always feel pretty safe in Buenos Aires-- apart from when I'm driving anyway.

Weather not so good a the moment:

Argentina floods: Dozens dead in La Plata and Buenos Aires

Fourteen neighbourhoods of the capital were flooded

Dozens of people have died in the province of Buenos Aires in Argentina after heavy rains caused flash floods.

One of the heaviest storms recorded moved through the province hitting both the capital, Buenos Aires, and the city of La Plata.

In La Plata, between 300mm (12in) and 400mm of rain fell in a few hours,

At least 35 people were killed there, said provincial governor Daniel Scioli, adding that the city "has never seen anything equal" to it.

Mr Scioli said city authorities had been discovering the bodies as the flood waters slowly receded.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on April 03, 2013, 03:04:53 PM

I felt reasonably safe when in was there, but of course we did have a bodyguard and a local guide; and when we went to the bad parts of town, we cleared our activities with the local (gang) authorities.

My brother's in-laws are very proud of their country and don't say anything negative about it, but they freaked out when my dad and I walked to the corner store for baby wipes...

lustindarkness

I have no interest in visiting Brazil, but I do look forward to visiting Argentina.

Oh, and the map sucks.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

Quote from: lustindarkness on April 03, 2013, 03:10:33 PM
I have no interest in visiting Brazil, but I do look forward to visiting Argentina.

Oh, and the map sucks.

I've kind of changed my mind on Brazil-- there are a few places there I'd like to visit.  It's just that Rio ain't one of them.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on April 03, 2013, 03:08:36 PM
My brother's in-laws are very proud of their country and don't say anything negative about it, but they freaked out when my dad and I walked to the corner store for baby wipes...

How would they have handled the baby wipe op?

Send the hired help?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: derspiess on April 03, 2013, 03:13:41 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on April 03, 2013, 03:10:33 PM

Oh, and the map sucks.

I've kind of changed my mind on Brazil-- there are a few places there I'd like to visit.  It's just that Rio ain't one of them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2303255/Rio-gang-rape-American-tourist-attacked-3-men-SIX-HOURS-handcuffed-boyfriend-watched-on.html
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers