Where in the world is it safe to travel?

Started by garbon, April 03, 2013, 11:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on April 03, 2013, 02:50:50 PM
The fact that everyone in Brazil has a 7 foot brick fence topped with barbed wire or broken glass does not make me feel safe..

I've probably posted this before, but I landed in Rio in the evening and went straight to my hotel--in the middle of downtown. The first thing in the morning I went to get cash from an ATM. Before I get to the ATM some guy tries to rob me.  :rolleyes:

(This was a weekend so there weren't too many people in downtown, and there were cops all over, but I turned down one street without cops and this guy went straight for my pocket, but I brushed him aside and making some noise walked away--he was smaller than me and obviously didn't have a weapon)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on April 03, 2013, 06:43:33 PM
The three safest countries in Latin America are Uruguay, Chile, and Cuba.   :lol:

I don't know so much about Cuba, but Uruguay and Chile are definitely safe.

What seems silly about Latin America is that Bolivia is the blue color. Especially when a country like Ecuador is yellow--that makes no sense to me.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on April 03, 2013, 07:31:36 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 03, 2013, 06:43:33 PM
The three safest countries in Latin America are Uruguay, Chile, and Cuba.   :lol:

I don't know so much about Cuba, but Uruguay and Chile are definitely safe.

What seems silly about Latin America is that Bolivia is the blue color. Especially when a country like Ecuador is yellow--that makes no sense to me.

I was mostly amused by the Cuba thing.  I doubt Derspeiss approves.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

Quote from: Syt on April 03, 2013, 11:48:36 AM
Why is Canada blank?
Canada has dragons, so is off the charts dangerous.   ;)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 03, 2013, 05:03:41 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 03, 2013, 04:14:17 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 03, 2013, 04:09:56 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 03, 2013, 04:08:39 PM
Even if we had "sane gun control laws", I don't think I'd want people walking up in my business.

I have to admit I have read this a couple times and still have no idea what you are trying to say.

So Jacob would this be an example of English speakers unable to understand each other then? :D

Are you going to explain what you meant?

He doesn't want uninvited guests.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

fhdz

Hey guys, does this mean I should cancel my junket to North Korea?
and the horse you rode in on

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 03, 2013, 02:05:29 PM
In a lot of rural communities that is true.  It is also true that we have sane gun control laws.
Apparently it's no longer the case since the Conservatives are in power.  People now roam free with their guns shooting at everyone and everything.  Or so I heard in the news.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on April 03, 2013, 07:33:14 PM
I was mostly amused by the Cuba thing.  I doubt Derspeiss approves.

Makes sense to me.  Cuba's a police state, and those are usually pretty low-crime places.

And as an Argentine citizen I won't be prohibited from visiting :che:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

You should go and see what's up.  I hear they love American tourists.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 04, 2013, 03:23:21 PM
You should go and see what's up.  I hear they love American tourists.

Who, me?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Why the fuck not.  You're an Argentinian citizen, remember?

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 04, 2013, 05:09:20 PM

I'd enjoy myself tremendously.  I speak the language and enjoy Cuban food, drink, music, and cigars.

The Larch

Recently it was announced that over here the government intended to make travel recommendations from the foreign affairs ministry binding instead of plainly informative, directed mainly and NGO workers in risky areas, which have been had to be rescued in the past. For the record, this is the current map of travel risk according to them:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 04, 2013, 06:00:17 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 04, 2013, 05:09:20 PM

I'd enjoy myself tremendously.  I speak the language and enjoy Cuban food, drink, music, and cigars.

Then go check it out;  make sure you don't get your passport stamped, get a card insert.  Tio Sammy would never be the wiser.

Martinus